SuperMoto Junkie banner

1701 - 1707 of 1707 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys,
I have successfully done this a few years ago and it looks like some things have changed. Is the Form 0684 V18 South Dakota Application for Title and Registration on the first page of this post still valid ? Or do we now use Form 1001 and Form 1015 for the road conversion ? Also, what is the Form 1012 Motor Vehicle Affidavit used for ? Is that required as well and how do we fill that out ?

Thanks.
OK, I just followed this post and everything worked out fine. You want to fill out and send in the Form V18 along with your original title, copy of drivers license and Social Security card with a note stating what you are wanting to do with your contact info (email/phone)so they can reach you for payment. Only use form 1015, the Low speed & Off Road Affidavit and only fill out the off road section in D section, leave the low speed section blank. You no longer need to get it notarized, just fill it out, print, sign and mail. Make sure you put your or the dealers name and address in the "Name of person who installed accessories" at bottom of D section. Go to the Home website and search form 1015 or Low speed or copy and paste this link below.

Pennington County Treasurer's Office
P.O. Box 6160
130 Kansas City Street Suite 250
Rapid City SD 57701
(605) 394-2163

Give them a week or so and they will call you with payment info and confirm plates and new title will be coming in a few weeks.

Easy peazy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 01 drz400s, bought from a guy who bought from a guy.. I have a notarized bill of sale from the seller. It is a street legal dual sport. But it’s still in someone else’s name and I don’t know who. Can I go forward with just a bill of sale even tho if you run the vin it’s not gonna pull up the seller I got it from that signed my bill of sale but the original title holder. Vin is clean aswell as no liens. Idk how I could get a title without finding the titled owner. Any help would be great, otherwise I think I’m pretty much stuck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is a process the dmv can go through. Something about contacting the owner on file and they have 15 days to respond. Is the title signed?
Idk if the title is signed. I don’t have it. My bill of sale is signed an natorized by the guy I got it from, but title work is not in his name but someone he got it from an so on an so on.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Are you not able to get the title. The dmv in most states isnt going to let you title it with a bill of sale in someone elses name. You can explain the situation and likely there are forms you can fill out depending on your state but it will likely take some time. Do you mind me asking what state you are in and what state the bike is titled. I ask because some states are more strict. For example NC and MD are more strict about notaries than VA.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are you not able to get the title. The dmv in most states isnt going to let you title it with a bill of sale in someone elses name. You can explain the situation and likely there are forms you can fill out depending on your state but it will likely take some time. Do you mind me asking what state you are in and what state the bike is titled. I ask because some states are more strict. For example NC and MD are more strict about notaries than VA.
I’m in nc, nc title I’m sure of it.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Nc is pretty strict about notaries. The last 3 bikes ive bought and 2 i sold were from nc or going to nc.

Best bet is to contact the dmv unless the previous owner knows the previous owner.

I have a similar issue with my 250xc. I have the offroad title but its not in the guys name i bought it from.

1701 - 1707 of 1707 Posts