SuperMoto Junkie banner

1701 - 1720 of 1736 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys,
I have successfully done this a few years ago and it looks like some things have changed. Is the Form 0684 V18 South Dakota Application for Title and Registration on the first page of this post still valid ? Or do we now use Form 1001 and Form 1015 for the road conversion ? Also, what is the Form 1012 Motor Vehicle Affidavit used for ? Is that required as well and how do we fill that out ?

Thanks.
OK, I just followed this post and everything worked out fine. You want to fill out and send in the Form V18 along with your original title, copy of drivers license and Social Security card with a note stating what you are wanting to do with your contact info (email/phone)so they can reach you for payment. Only use form 1015, the Low speed & Off Road Affidavit and only fill out the off road section in D section, leave the low speed section blank. You no longer need to get it notarized, just fill it out, print, sign and mail. Make sure you put your or the dealers name and address in the "Name of person who installed accessories" at bottom of D section. Go to the Home website and search form 1015 or Low speed or copy and paste this link below.

Pennington County Treasurer's Office
P.O. Box 6160
130 Kansas City Street Suite 250
Rapid City SD 57701
(605) 394-2163

Give them a week or so and they will call you with payment info and confirm plates and new title will be coming in a few weeks.

Easy peazy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 01 drz400s, bought from a guy who bought from a guy.. I have a notarized bill of sale from the seller. It is a street legal dual sport. But it’s still in someone else’s name and I don’t know who. Can I go forward with just a bill of sale even tho if you run the vin it’s not gonna pull up the seller I got it from that signed my bill of sale but the original title holder. Vin is clean aswell as no liens. Idk how I could get a title without finding the titled owner. Any help would be great, otherwise I think I’m pretty much stuck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is a process the dmv can go through. Something about contacting the owner on file and they have 15 days to respond. Is the title signed?
Idk if the title is signed. I don’t have it. My bill of sale is signed an natorized by the guy I got it from, but title work is not in his name but someone he got it from an so on an so on.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Are you not able to get the title. The dmv in most states isnt going to let you title it with a bill of sale in someone elses name. You can explain the situation and likely there are forms you can fill out depending on your state but it will likely take some time. Do you mind me asking what state you are in and what state the bike is titled. I ask because some states are more strict. For example NC and MD are more strict about notaries than VA.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are you not able to get the title. The dmv in most states isnt going to let you title it with a bill of sale in someone elses name. You can explain the situation and likely there are forms you can fill out depending on your state but it will likely take some time. Do you mind me asking what state you are in and what state the bike is titled. I ask because some states are more strict. For example NC and MD are more strict about notaries than VA.
I’m in nc, nc title I’m sure of it.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Nc is pretty strict about notaries. The last 3 bikes ive bought and 2 i sold were from nc or going to nc.

Best bet is to contact the dmv unless the previous owner knows the previous owner.

I have a similar issue with my 250xc. I have the offroad title but its not in the guys name i bought it from.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased a new ktm 300xcw and just got my original mso in the mail. I live in ga and I will have to eventually take the mso to the bank due to a lein. Has anyone done this with a bike that has a lean. If so, I’m assuming that the tag will be sent to my address with registration, but will the title also be sent to my address? Or will it be sent to the lein holder? Just don’t want the bank to receive a South Dakota title and think something is up. (I live in a very small town and know all of the bank employees very well). Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hmm that is interesting. I certainly wouldn't send the mso under lien to SD. Who knows how long til you get a title back. If the bank needs it and you don't have it what happens. You could try taking it to the dmv and see if you can convert it to street use. Any chance the dealer could title it for you? I know of dealers that have done that with loads of different bikes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello peoples I live in Blount county Alabama and wondering how i would go about getting my 2020 yz450f street legal would i have to do the whole SD thing or have y'all gone a different route. already has everything it needs to be street legal please let me know :3

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any chance you're in Oregon specifically? Not sure about other states, but if it helps, Oregon is supposedly worse than California.

Oregon uses the VIN to determine if the the bike is "off road use only" or "motorcycle". If if doesn't come from the factory street legal, then apparently they won't title it.
Anyone else in Oregon because I’m wondering the same thing! I know they want you to switch to Oregon plates after 30 days and I was wondering if you’re able to get around it with this also?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m in Oregon and recently just did this and it went through! Not sure about the 30 day change for Oregon though.

What switchback said is up to date, except I had to fill out the B) applicant information and C) vehicle information on the low speed/off road affidavit along with D) off road vehicle and then print and sign.

I also had to have the purchase price, date of sale, and sellers signature on bill of sale. I still included make/model/year sellers address. So I printed and used a South Dakota bill of sale form.
Only cost $66
Hope this helps someone else!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone have success with this in Hawaii?
Could be on the moon, doesn’t matter. It’s a SD title. Can eventually switch it over to Hi, but who cares just keep registering it every year there.

hello peoples I live in Blount county Alabama and wondering how i would go about getting my 2020 yz450f street legal would i have to do the whole SD thing or have y'all gone a different route. already has everything it needs to be street legal please let me know :3
1715 posts. Yes, this whole thing is about titling in SD. You can also do VT. Just follow what was posted originally, or what a few us have within the last year. It’s 3 forms.

Idk if the title is signed. I don’t have it. My bill of sale is signed an natorized by the guy I got it from, but title work is not in his name but someone he got it from an so on an so on.
NC is a pain in the ass and will never honor any of this. You can do a bonded title or try this SD route. PM me, is this a black stuntbike you bought near Raleigh with a homemade stunt bar and a kicker swap into a Sm frame? I know both prior owners, main owner is in Chicago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Serial number is also called the vin# should be 17 characters long (depending on year of bike)with a mix of numbers and letters and yes it needs to be the original title and not a copy. They will be keeping your original title and sending you a new South Dakota title.
How would I go about this if I don’t have the title yet? Just bought a beta 300rr. What is an mso?

·
Registered
83 Posts
So Ive thumbed through this thread and found some people titled in SD with and without a title from their state. My issue is I purchased a pretty mint 2014 450 XC-W from the original owner here on NY, but he purchased the bike new from KTM world in GA (which doesn't issue a title for this bike because it doesn't come with lights). Which is kinda dumb because if I bought one new here in NY I would get a street title.

Also I spoke with someone from dirt legal over the phone and they told me $299 even after I verified with them that I only had a bill of sale and MSO, I go to their website and its $529? I was told Id get back a title thats labeled STREET, but I check their website more and it shows they're using Vermont and South Dakota.. Which if I go through the SD DMV, Ive read here people are getting back titles marked OFFROAD. Which isn't what I want.. (EDIT: Dirtlegal called back and said it was $499 because I have the MCO)

Anyone wanna chime in on this and verify anything?

What id ultimately like to do is re-title this bike here in NY for the road, Id like it to say STREET on the paperwork so when I bring it to the DMV there won't be any issues here getting a registration and road plate.

Anyways.. I have the original Cert. of origin (in the previous owners name), bill of sale (sale to me), and everything on this bike but no actual "title".

What specifically can I do here to get this done..

·
Registered
10 Posts
So Ive thumbed through this thread and found some people titled in SD with and without a title from their state. My issue is I purchased a pretty mint 2014 450 XC-W from the original owner here on NY, but he purchased the bike new from KTM world in GA (which doesn't issue a title for this bike because it doesn't come with lights). Which is kinda dumb because if I bought one new here in NY I would get a street title.

Also I spoke with someone from dirt legal over the phone and they told me $299 even after I verified with them that I only had a bill of sale and MSO, I go to their website and its $529? I was told Id get back a title thats labeled STREET, but I check their website more and it shows they're using Vermont and South Dakota.. Which if I go through the SD DMV, Ive read here people are getting back titles marked OFFROAD. Which isn't what I want.. (EDIT: Dirtlegal called back and said it was $499 because I have the MCO)

Anyone wanna chime in on this and verify anything?

What id ultimately like to do is re-title this bike here in NY for the road, Id like it to say STREET on the paperwork so when I bring it to the DMV there won't be any issues here getting a registration and road plate.

Anyways.. I have the original Cert. of origin (in the previous owners name), bill of sale (sale to me), and everything on this bike but no actual "title".

What specifically can I do here to get this done..
You can title and register your KTM in SD,and have a street legal title. My Yamaha was on an MSO, so you just need a bill of sale in your name, and a release of lien if there was one. You'll need to fill out just the highlighted areas on the application for title and registration. You also need to fill out a low-speed and off-road affidavit Form 1015, section D for motorcycle. This certifies that you made the bike street legal by adding lights, horn, etc.
There are some FAQ's here: Vehicle Title & License - Pennington County, South Dakota

1701 - 1720 of 1736 Posts