SuperMoto Junkie banner

1681 - 1700 of 1700 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just joined to say thanks to this thread my SD plate is on its way. 2003 ktm 450 sx-f No title, no certificate of origin. This is what I sent.
1. Notarized BOS
2. Title Reg application
3. Atv affidavit
4. Affidavit stating that NJ does not title off road vehicles.

About 2 weeks after mailing they called me, charged my cc $63 and said I will have the plate by the end of this week and title about 6 weeks.
Similar to @Bfredk , I just joined to say thank you to the forum for figuring out this process and to provide my specifics. I have an '06 250 with title from the state I lived in prior to my current one.

I called a couple of times to speak with folks on the phone. The first time, the lady was rather gruff and just directed me to the state website. On the state website, I found three forms, none of which require notarization:
  • 1001 Motor Vehicle/Boat Title & Registration Application
  • 1012 Motor Vehicle Affidavit
  • 1015 Low Speed & Off-Road Vehicle Affidavit
After having filled out the forms, I called back to verify which forms were required and spoke with a very friendly and helpful lady. She verified that the following forms and information were required:
  • Original Vehicle Title
  • Copy of Drivers License
  • Copy of Social Security Card
I also included a cover letter with a short paragraph stating I was looking to register and title my bike in SD and asking that they contact me via email upon receipt, so that I could call them to make payment.

From mailing of the forms to receipt of the confirmation email was less than 10 working days. I paid $61.50 or thereabouts in fees, and should have my plate and registration in 2 weeks. As above, they said the title will take a bit longer, in the 4-6 week range.

Thanks again to the forum and to the State of South Dakota.

Great thread!

I just joined the site and will be starting the process for a bike I picked up here in FL.

I'll be following the advice listed in the quoted posts above.

Will post an update on the outcome for anyone who is curious.

Question: I have the application for title in my state that the dealer gave me. It has a title number on there but will that be the number of the actual title when I get it in the mail? Wondering if I should wait till I have the actual title from my state before sending anything to SD.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great thread!

I just joined the site and will be starting the process for a bike I picked up here in FL.

I'll be following the advice listed in the quoted posts above.

Will post an update on the outcome for anyone who is curious.

Question: I have the application for title in my state that the dealer gave me. It has a title number on there but will that be the number of the actual title when I get it in the mail? Wondering if I should wait till I have the actual title from my state before sending anything to SD.
Yes you have to wait till you have the actual title from your state and have to send that into SD along with everything else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, long time member but lost my log in info.

I used the method in the original post to tag a 2014 350 SX several years ago. But recent posts seem to indicate this no longer works? If I simply follow the instructions in the original post, will the process no longer be successful for tagging my 2017 300XC?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys, long time member but lost my log in info.

I used the method in the original post to tag a 2014 350 SX several years ago. But recent posts seem to indicate this no longer works? If I simply follow the instructions in the original post, will the process no longer be successful for tagging my 2017 300XC?
I got my plates like a month ago and it worked fine for me. Just have to make sure you send it to the updated address as the original post instructions have the old address.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys. I am new to the forum. I have a 2005 CRF450R and my VIN 8th digit is a "3". I live in in the state of F**king idiots. Yes i am talking about Cali. I have been looking into doing this for a while. I have read thru all the postings and even put a call into the SD DMV. The lady I talked to asked if it was a dirt bike. I said Yes. She told me that, it would still be an off road designated bike, and not legal to ride on the stree in any state other than SD, even with all the required equipment. Can anyone shed any light on this? Am I SOL? Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
I live in a state on the east coast where you need to be registered and insured to ride in the state forest

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got my plates like a month ago and it worked fine for me. Just have to make sure you send it to the updated address as the original post instructions have the old address.
Thanks! I used the info from the original post and sent it to the updated PO box address:

Pennington County Treasurer's Office
PO Box 6160
Rapid City, SD 57709

Sent it out Monday. Hope to get a call soon for payment!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys. I am new to the forum. I have a 2005 CRF450R and my VIN 8th digit is a "3". I live in in the state of F**king idiots. Yes i am talking about Cali. I have been looking into doing this for a while. I have read thru all the postings and even put a call into the SD DMV. The lady I talked to asked if it was a dirt bike. I said Yes. She told me that, it would still be an off road designated bike, and not legal to ride on the stree in any state other than SD, even with all the required equipment. Can anyone shed any light on this? Am I SOL? Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Should be fine just re-register in SD every year. As long as it plated and registered and to your home address I don't see what Cali can do. I did this in MD with an off title and cops didn't mind bc it had a plate and insurance. I can't register it in MD, so I'm going with the SD plate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Finally got my title from FL after waiting for a month so now I can get this started. Hoping someone can give me a few tips before I send off my packet.

So to confirm we should be filling out and/or sending:
  • Original Vehicle Title (I have this)
  • Copy of Drivers License (ditto)
  • Copy of Social Security Card (have this also)
For 1001:
Section A: Is it a New Title, Out of State Title Transfer, or Title Transfer? Guessing it would be Out of State Title Transfer since I have a valid, new FL tag though it does say "Off-road vehicle".
Section C: Type of Ownership - left this one blank since i'm the sole owner and not a joint owner or trustee
Section F: I assume just list the actual price, tax paid, etc here? I did pay a hefty sales tax bill here in FL at the dealer during purchase as our rates are high on vehicles.

For 1015:
Section D: I assume you'd fill out the 'off road vehicle' section NOT the Low-Speed vehicle section
Section D: I think you can list yourself as the installer from what I've read.

FYI - I've called the SD tax collector office and they have a recording saying they're not taking any more calls and to try again on another day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Finally got my title from FL after waiting for a month so now I can get this started. Hoping someone can give me a few tips before I send off my packet.

So to confirm we should be filling out and/or sending:
  • Original Vehicle Title (I have this)
  • Copy of Drivers License (ditto)
  • Copy of Social Security Card (have this also)
For 1001:
Section A: Is it a New Title, Out of State Title Transfer, or Title Transfer? Guessing it would be Out of State Title Transfer since I have a valid, new FL tag though it does say "Off-road vehicle".
Section C: Type of Ownership - left this one blank since i'm the sole owner and not a joint owner or trustee
Section F: I assume just list the actual price, tax paid, etc here? I did pay a hefty sales tax bill here in FL at the dealer during purchase as our rates are high on vehicles.

For 1015:
Section D: I assume you'd fill out the 'off road vehicle' section NOT the Low-Speed vehicle section
Section D: I think you can list yourself as the installer from what I've read.

FYI - I've called the SD tax collector office and they have a recording saying they're not taking any more calls and to try again on another day.
Hey Ivy4,
I also registered my bike from Florida. I did it as an out of state transfer. My bike title had a lien on it so I had to send title request to the finance company. This took months to process!!
I followed all of the instructions exactly listed in the previous pages. I listed the total price that I was financing on the form. So far I have been riding with no issues. I recently renewed my registration through South Dakota and plan to continue doing so rather than trying to transfer back to Florida. Have you had a chance to speak with anybody at the DMV in South Dakota? I sent everything off to get my wife’s bike registered, but have not heard anything back. I don’t know if it has to do with the title transfer or if the office is just running slower due to the pandemic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Ivy4,
I also registered my bike from Florida. I did it as an out of state transfer. My bike title had a lien on it so I had to send title request to the finance company. This took months to process!!
I followed all of the instructions exactly listed in the previous pages. I listed the total price that I was financing on the form. So far I have been riding with no issues. I recently renewed my registration through South Dakota and plan to continue doing so rather than trying to transfer back to Florida. Have you had a chance to speak with anybody at the DMV in South Dakota? I sent everything off to get my wife’s bike registered, but have not heard anything back. I don’t know if it has to do with the title transfer or if the office is just running slower due to the pandemic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi!

Good to hear from a local who has been through this. Sorry it was such a nightmare for you but I guess the lien thing and the financing made it much harder. Glad you got your tag in the end though!

So mine was bought cash which should make it simpler I hope. Since I didn't hear anything back on my post yesterday, I called and just spoke with someone from the SD county treasurer. During the chat I told them I was interested in registering my dirtbike in SD. They said I should fill out form 1001, 1015, as well as sending a copy of my SSN or W2, copy of DL, the title, and the bill of sale if applicable. So that's just what I did and put it together in a package.

If/when I hear back from them then I'll post an update here on that. Their office does seem to be running slower and it took like 5 or 6 tries just to get a phone call through.

Truthfully I would ride offroad 99% of the time but there are days when for instance you find yourself needing gas or a pitstop/whatever and have to get on the road. Also there are some public places I ride where they are super strict about not letting you be on the paved roads even for a tiny stretch which becomes a giant PITA. So the tag is just a way to bring peace of mind for me since I already have lights, etc on the bike. With a tag then I can go about my business without inviting some LEO to ruin my day.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am in Florida and have a 1988 CR250 with OHV FL title and a motorcycle endorsement. Can I plate this beast? I need it to run to the store for beer. Thanks. 😁
1988 cr250R.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wondering what the current requirements are to title/plate a dirt bike. I have a 17 kx450f with no title and bill of sale. I currently have the following documents:
  • Title/Registration doccument
  • Low speed and off road affidavit
  • Copy of DL
  • Copy of MSO (Is this required?)
Is there anymore required document I need to send in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Paid 183.29

Provided title application
Off-road affidavit
Affidavit stating vehicle never titled
Bill of sale via SD website
Copy of my license and ss card

·
Registered
1 Posts
Similar to @Bfredk , I just joined to say thank you to the forum for figuring out this process and to provide my specifics. I have an '06 250 with title from the state I lived in prior to my current one.

I called a couple of times to speak with folks on the phone. The first time, the lady was rather gruff and just directed me to the state website. On the state website, I found three forms, none of which require notarization:
  • 1012 Motor Vehicle Affidavit
After having filled out the forms, I called back to verify which forms were required and spoke with a very friendly and helpful lady. She verified that the following forms and information were required:
  • Original Vehicle Title
  • Copy of Drivers License
  • Copy of Social Security Card
I also included a cover letter with a short paragraph stating I was looking to register and title my bike in SD and asking that they contact me via email upon receipt, so that I could call them to make payment.

From mailing of the forms to receipt of the confirmation email was less than 10 working days. I paid $61.50 or thereabouts in fees, and should have my plate and registration in 2 weeks. As above, they said the title will take a bit longer, in the 4-6 week range.

Thanks again to the forum and to the State of South Dakota.
Great info. Are you doing this for NJ? I have a similar scenario where my title is from PA and in the name of the last owner but on the back of the cert. of origin he signed it over to me. I was just wondering if anyone thinks that I would have to register the title into my name before sending in all this paperwork? Or will these forms you posted cover transferring the title into my name? Anyone from NJ ever titled their dirtbike in NJ that had a PA title in someone else's name originally?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great info. Are you doing this for NJ? I have a similar scenario where my title is from PA and in the name of the last owner but on the back of the cert. of origin he signed it over to me. I was just wondering if anyone thinks that I would have to register the title into my name before sending in all this paperwork? Or will these forms you posted cover transferring the title into my name? Anyone from NJ ever titled their dirtbike in NJ that had a PA title in someone else's name originally?
@tkipp96 , I am not in NJ. I'm in AL, and just recently completed the process of turning my SD plates/title into AL plates/title. When I sent the paperwork into SD, my original title was from CA, where I lived when I bought the bike new. AL doesn't do offroad titles, so I didn't change over when moving into to AL.

SD wants to establish a chain of custody / ownership. Do you have a bill of sale, or something official that establishes you bought the bike from the prior owner in PA? If you have all of that info, I'd suggest calling the licensing folks in Pennington County, SD to ask them if the documentation trail is sufficient. They may point you towards another SD form that helps them complete the loop. Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys,
I have successfully done this a few years ago and it looks like some things have changed. Is the Form 0684 V18 South Dakota Application for Title and Registration on the first page of this post still valid ? Or do we now use Form 1001 and Form 1015 for the road conversion ? Also, what is the Form 1012 Motor Vehicle Affidavit used for ? Is that required as well and how do we fill that out ?

Thanks.

1681 - 1700 of 1700 Posts