SuperMoto Junkie banner

1681 - 1689 of 1689 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just joined to say thanks to this thread my SD plate is on its way. 2003 ktm 450 sx-f No title, no certificate of origin. This is what I sent.
1. Notarized BOS
2. Title Reg application
3. Atv affidavit
4. Affidavit stating that NJ does not title off road vehicles.

About 2 weeks after mailing they called me, charged my cc $63 and said I will have the plate by the end of this week and title about 6 weeks.
Similar to @Bfredk , I just joined to say thank you to the forum for figuring out this process and to provide my specifics. I have an '06 250 with title from the state I lived in prior to my current one.

I called a couple of times to speak with folks on the phone. The first time, the lady was rather gruff and just directed me to the state website. On the state website, I found three forms, none of which require notarization:
  • 1001 Motor Vehicle/Boat Title & Registration Application
  • 1012 Motor Vehicle Affidavit
  • 1015 Low Speed & Off-Road Vehicle Affidavit
After having filled out the forms, I called back to verify which forms were required and spoke with a very friendly and helpful lady. She verified that the following forms and information were required:
  • 1001 Motor Vehicle/Boat Title & Registration Application
  • 1015 Low Speed & Off-Road Vehicle Affidavit
  • Original Vehicle Title
  • Copy of Drivers License
  • Copy of Social Security Card
I also included a cover letter with a short paragraph stating I was looking to register and title my bike in SD and asking that they contact me via email upon receipt, so that I could call them to make payment.

From mailing of the forms to receipt of the confirmation email was less than 10 working days. I paid $61.50 or thereabouts in fees, and should have my plate and registration in 2 weeks. As above, they said the title will take a bit longer, in the 4-6 week range.

Thanks again to the forum and to the State of South Dakota.

Great thread!

I just joined the site and will be starting the process for a bike I picked up here in FL.

I'll be following the advice listed in the quoted posts above.

Will post an update on the outcome for anyone who is curious.

Question: I have the application for title in my state that the dealer gave me. It has a title number on there but will that be the number of the actual title when I get it in the mail? Wondering if I should wait till I have the actual title from my state before sending anything to SD.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great thread!

I just joined the site and will be starting the process for a bike I picked up here in FL.

I'll be following the advice listed in the quoted posts above.

Will post an update on the outcome for anyone who is curious.

Question: I have the application for title in my state that the dealer gave me. It has a title number on there but will that be the number of the actual title when I get it in the mail? Wondering if I should wait till I have the actual title from my state before sending anything to SD.
Yes you have to wait till you have the actual title from your state and have to send that into SD along with everything else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, long time member but lost my log in info.

I used the method in the original post to tag a 2014 350 SX several years ago. But recent posts seem to indicate this no longer works? If I simply follow the instructions in the original post, will the process no longer be successful for tagging my 2017 300XC?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys, long time member but lost my log in info.

I used the method in the original post to tag a 2014 350 SX several years ago. But recent posts seem to indicate this no longer works? If I simply follow the instructions in the original post, will the process no longer be successful for tagging my 2017 300XC?
I got my plates like a month ago and it worked fine for me. Just have to make sure you send it to the updated address as the original post instructions have the old address.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys. I am new to the forum. I have a 2005 CRF450R and my VIN 8th digit is a "3". I live in in the state of F**king idiots. Yes i am talking about Cali. I have been looking into doing this for a while. I have read thru all the postings and even put a call into the SD DMV. The lady I talked to asked if it was a dirt bike. I said Yes. She told me that, it would still be an off road designated bike, and not legal to ride on the stree in any state other than SD, even with all the required equipment. Can anyone shed any light on this? Am I SOL? Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just ride I I have been stop with SD in my state and the
Cops only care that it registered

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
I live in a state on the east coast where you need to be registered and insured to ride in the state forest

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got my plates like a month ago and it worked fine for me. Just have to make sure you send it to the updated address as the original post instructions have the old address.
Thanks! I used the info from the original post and sent it to the updated PO box address:

Pennington County Treasurer's Office
PO Box 6160
Rapid City, SD 57709

Sent it out Monday. Hope to get a call soon for payment!

1681 - 1689 of 1689 Posts