SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been running this stuff on the road here in hot south florida, and just up in the mountains in VA on a 175 mile ride last week and my Husky with no fans seems to love it. But I was thinking, since this stuff doesn't boil over, how do you know if the bike is running too hot? Isn't boiling over kinda the only sign that the bike IS overheating?

Also, on a related note, I see allot of people changing their coolant caps to high pressure ones, so again if your doing this and going to one that takes more pressure to open than stock, don't you run the risk of running the bike hot?

Nate

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
You can get Heat temp strips that indicate how hot the engine is running. When you put the high psi kit on, the bike will run cooler. It includes the higher psi rad cap,higher psi hose kit, and the race water pump. I have never had any issues with over heating the bike with the kit.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Get a temp gauge if you need to know the temp. I've run NPG+(same thing as Ty's stuff) for more than 3 years now up here. I've had to set a some long lights and I know the thing is getting hot because the fan kicks on @ 212° or so.

I only recently added a new speedo that has a temp gauge. Now I can watch it move through the range of temps. But it has been and always will be OK with coolant in it.

Ty's stuff, NPG+, will not need a higher psi cap as it does not build pressure as traditional coolant does. When running a high pressure cap or some alternative coolant, as you have, the idea is to keep the bike from pissing out all of it's coolant for short periods of time, not to creep along for hours on end.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts