SuperMoto Junkie banner

YZ450F 2004 Ukrainian sumo

5K views 33 replies 6 participants last post by  arthurmoto 
#1 ·
Hi all! I’m from Ukraine so sorry for my English. From the very beginning it was stupid mistake. I have ordered a pair of slick tires for my previous bike but instead of 17 16.5 slick had arrived. So at the beginning it was 10 dollars mistake. Nobody had such kind of wheels here. Then I have found front marchesini 16.5 wheel on Ebay and bought it. Wheel was with another 16.5 slick. You know front wheel is useless without rear one so I had to find rear marchesini wheel. Some years ago I have found a pair of CRF marchesinis and bought them. So there were already three wheels and a pair of front 16.5 slicks.:rolleyes2: I had a nice chance to look at 1300 bucks wheels at long winter evenings. But then I found this forum and decided to build supermoto and try myself in SM racing. It is not popular here at all but supermoto seems very appealing to me. I am mechanic of local MX team and Yamaha guy so I had no hesitation what bike to convert. Moreover old YZ450f 2004 was already waiting in my garage. So first of all I stripped everything off the frame and disassemble the engine. I decided to use parts I already had in that moment. So I had complete transmission from WR400F, vertex piston and carillo rod from YFZ450 ATV. It was not great task to install tranny shafts with gears, but gear drum was absolutely different. But after some measurements I understood it may be possible. With use of lathe I shaved some mm from left and some from right side and it was OK. And I had to turn neutral position sensor 90 degrees with a bracket. Then carillo rod was installed in crankshaft. But piston pin of ATV piston is 2 mm larger and there is not enough space between piston and crankshaft webs. It was impossible to rotate crankshaft. I had to shave some metal in problem zone with grinding machine. I expected it would make some influence on vibration and was trying to find answers from google. But after all from today I can say there is not much difference at all. So next problem was that WR400f primary shaft is 2 mm shorter. I had to shave some material from clutch hub central gear and use custom made nut and washer. Everything else was less complicated. New valves, timing chain, seals, gaskets, clutch plates and so on. But one day I thought about possibility to use E-line stator. This stator already was laying on the shelf and it was very appealing to me to have this high output stator on the motorcycle. It makes possible to connect anything you want, LEDs, fan, heated grips, battery, turns, navigator… The problem was I need special cover to install this stator. But it was impossible to find it. After all I decided to make it myself. Look on photo, it was not very complicated task. I bought aftermarket aluminium cover from Ebay, fabricated special cylinder shape part and welded them together. Then rectifier was added and now I have a full DC system, battery, radiator fan, lights. Everything else is clear from photos. Needs new graphics but I have no money now may be later.
Parts list
Yz450f 2004
WR400f tranny
YFZ450 Carillo rod + new OEM webs, trued and pin welded
YFZ 450 wiseco piston
E-line stator + DIY cover + DC rectifier
30 mm shortened KYB SSS forks + gold valves, revalved
30 mm shortened YZ450F 2008 shock, revalved
13 mm offset triples
Twinwall
Fastway stabilizer 5
Radiators strengthened + fan installed + devol guards
Full yoshimura titanium system (shortened because of damage)
CRF marchesini wheels + conti SM tires
Magura clutch
Magura radial front master
Brembo 4-piston caliper
320 mm EBC front rotor
Steel brake hoses
Front lights – 2 * Vision x solstice 10Wt LEDs
Tail lights – UFO phantom LEDs
Passenger footrests
Axle sliders, UFO pegs sliders
Hammerhead rear brake lever

Attachments

See less See more
#32 ·
Perfect! It vibes less then original engine. Returning to the engine - some offtopic words about bigbore kits. I'd like to say that in my opinion it's not right way just to throw bigger piston in. My experience says such engine will have more punch but less overrev. To have the best possible result you need to balance it to OEM specs. So it is necessary to calculate OEM balance factor using stock parts and then to make some work to achieve the same numbers with bigbore kit. But actually if you posess the technik of balancing you can use almost any appropriate conrods and pistons to change engine displacement. And needless to say many aftermarket pistons and conrods have less or more weight then OEM and have to be balanced too.
What's about my project it's finished except new graphics but I have to make some extra money for this. I haven't trying it yet it's rainy all the time. Hope in the nearest time it would be possible to ride and make report about. Cheers!

#33 ·
Hi! I was affraid of the bike will be unstable at speed, but thanks to Scotts stabilizer I feel nothing bad. I have short walkaround video but the language is Russian so sorry you switch off the sound. I need new backgrounds and after all bugs elimination I'll try to make new photos and English version video.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.