SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, greetings from the UK. I like the look of the forum, and was hoping someone might be able to help me.

I recently bought a 1999/2000 YAMAHA YZ400F. The chap I brought it off explained the starting procedure and started the bike in front of me, on two seperate occasions from cold. It started on the first kick. Since getting the bike home I cant start it. I have tried and tried but its like its impossible to kick, sometimes you can stand on the kick start with your full weight and it wont move, other times you release the pressure off it and it then kicks but nowhere near enough to start it. I have tried using the decomp lever but it doesnt seem to make much difference.

I tried bump starting it in 2nd but the back wheel just skids along. I ended up towing it with a car to get it started.

Surely it cant be normal for a bike to be this hard to kick start?! I have read that they are tough to start but this is rediculous. I cant even kick it unless its leant against a wall so how on earth I am meant to start it in a field with muddy boots on I dont know?! I havent road bikes for years but im a healthy 28 year old so should be able to kick a bike.

Any help would be much apreciated! many thanks

heres a link to some pics in case that will help
http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj11/silvershadowmgf/yz400f/

·
Registered
144 Posts
Don't touch the throttle, pull the choke, kick the engine lightly until it stops, pull in the decomp lever, push the kickstart about 1", let the kickstart return to the top, give it a firm kick following all the way through.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive tried the routine, The kick start wont move an inch, or it will go halfway through a kick when you release pressure off it. I cant seem to get it to move a little, its either nothing or way too much. nothing inbetween

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
Don't touch the throttle, pull the choke, kick the engine lightly until it stops, pull in the decomp lever, push the kickstart about 1", let the kickstart return to the top, give it a firm kick following all the way through.
+1

This video is not the exact way that I start my 426, but I think it still illustrates what needs to happen. One little tap past top dead center, let the kickstarter come all the way back up and give it a good kick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MZ_x_faKkE

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
+1

This video is not the exact way that I start my 426, but I think it still illustrates what needs to happen. One little tap past top dead center, let the kickstarter come all the way back up and give it a good kick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MZ_x_faKkE
My kick start does not move anywhere near as freely as that one does. Do you think there is a fault with the decompression lever? it does move the little bit thats sticking out of the engine but i was shocked when I saw him moving his kickstart like that, I can put my whole weight on it and it wont move.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My kick start does not move anywhere near as freely as that one does. Do you think there is a fault with the decompression lever? it does move the little bit thats sticking out of the engine but i was shocked when I saw him moving his kickstart like that, I can put my whole weight on it and it wont move.
It stops and won't move even after you pull the decomp lever? What do you mean by saying it moves the little bit that's sticking out of the engine? Do you have it in neutral when you are kicking it? It's normal for these engines to have enough compression to stand on the kick start, but the decomp lever opens a valve and releases the cylinder pressure so it should turn pretty freely with it pulled in. The first day I had mine I was convinced there was something wrong with it, but it was just me. After you get it figured out you'll have a great time letting all your buddies try and start it, then jumping on and firing it first kick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It stops and won't move even after you pull the decomp lever? What do you mean by saying it moves the little bit that's sticking out of the engine? Do you have it in neutral when you are kicking it? It's normal for these engines to have enough compression to stand on the kick start, but the decomp lever opens a valve and releases the cylinder pressure so it should turn pretty freely with it pulled in. The first day I had mine I was convinced there was something wrong with it, but it was just me. After you get it figured out you'll have a great time letting all your buddies try and start it, then jumping on and firing it first kick.
I mean the bit on the engine that the decomp lever is attached to. I presume
This is the decomp valve. I have noticed that if I reach down and turn it as well as pulling the lever then the kick start is easier to press but it is still not starting, it just can't be kicked hard enough to start it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I mean the bit on the engine that the decomp lever is attached to. I presume
This is the decomp valve. I have noticed that if I reach down and turn it as well as pulling the lever then the kick start is easier to press but it is still not starting, it just can't be kicked hard enough to start it.
It shouldn't take that hard of a kick if you are following the steps correctly. I can start mine in sandals without a decomp cam, and I can stand on the kickstart on the compression stroke. I just realized in my first post I forgot a step. After you pull in the compression release and push the kickstart past top dead center, then you release the decomp handle, then let the kickstart come back up all the way and then kick it. If you are hitting compression half way down on your kick then you aren't getting the engine in the right spot before you kick. I know exactly the feeling you talking about when you say it's all or nothing. That's how I felt trying to start mine when I first got it. The distance you push the kickstart after it stops on compression is the only trick to it. If you get it rolled around and get it stopped on compression, then pull the decomp lever it should turn pretty freely. If it doesn't, then you should be sure the cable is adjusted correctly.

·
Registered
72 Posts
also don't forget to pull the choke out. it's the black knob on the left side of the carb. if it's been awhile since the bike was last started ( more than 2 weeks ) i give the throttle 2-3 full twists to prime the accelerator pump. then kick till you feel TDC, pull the decomp lever, give a 1/4 kick to get just past TDC, then NO throttle and kick hard. my 2000 WR400f will fire on the 1st kick every time. :clap:
good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts