SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, was hoping to find anyone that could help me diagnose what is wrong with my yz before I take the clutch out and have a proper look.

A couple of weeks ago I took her out for a spin around the back lanes..after about 5 mins of riding the bike suddenly went stiff and started making a horrible rattling/grating sound. I assumed that it was something in the top end, but when i went to rebuild the only signs of wear i could find were the small end bearing had been very slightly crushed or something causing one of the rollers to seize in (very minor damage). There is also no up/down play in the conrod. and no play in the flywheel either.

I checked the barrel for marks and couldnt find anything, apart form a tiny little chip by one of the ports that is well smoothed off and has clearly been there for a while..,I put in the new piston, ring and bearing whacked the barrel on and gave the kickstart a hand push to check for resistance in the top end, there was none.

When you try and start the bike the kick-start seems a tiny bit stiffer than normal, the bike needs throttle to run and as soon as you let off the piston stops fairly abruptly.

http://dw3.convertfiles.com/files/0204583001306267752/voice000.mp3

^^Thats a sound clip of me attempting to start it. Im thinking that it could be the kickstart idle or primary drive gear as I have been riding it on the road alot and this would put more stress on them?

Any ideas/advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Holy crap, that does not sound good.
I wish I could help but I am a noob in mechanics.
You might want to contact nunyah as he seems to know a lot on those machines.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Youre right, it does not sound good atall :/, especially considering it happened just before I managed to finally get her road registered. Have been waiting to take this bike on a decent road for ages!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts