SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Assuming you can get the bike threw the DMV... how would one go about not letting it overheat at a stop...

Not sure if its normal but if i let it idle for more than a minute or so it pukes coolant. Is it a impeller problem? can it be upgraded?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Check the radiator cap, it may need to be replaced. Also the bike will run hot if your jetting is too lean. I put a slightly bigger pilot jet in my 426 and that made a big difference in how long it takes to heat up. It'll still overheat eventually, but I've yet to have an issue at stoplights since then.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I can sit at a light for about 2 minutes and be OK - but not if I keep hitting red lights every block or so. It takes about 2 minutes for my bike to hit the 225 to 235 range, and a couple minutes of uninterupted riding to cool back down to 140-150 or so. Installing a Boyeson supercooler impellor and pump will help, as will oversize radiators and even an oil cooler (if PWR will get off their ass and get it out). I also plan on making a carbon fiber and foil type heat shield to fit between my header and right radiator - maybe even wrap the header in heat tape to minimize the transfer of heat to the radiator. I also installed a coolant catch/return tank to return fuild to the radiators after it has expanded and gone into the catch tank.
Fan is a great idea, but you would have to have a battery pack to power it as the 50 watt output from a lighting stator is all used up with the lights, and a quality fan will pull abaout 20 to 25 watts. You could try a computer fan, but those aren't made to run outdoors and be subjected to rain, washing, etc.
engine ice is good, but Motocross action did a test and the fluid with the best boil over point was a 50-50 mix of Maximas Cool-aid and Coolanol

·
Registered
375 Posts
Some say it does cool less effectively. I have used straight anti freeze in all water cooled dirt bikes for at least 10 years. Extreme hill climbs and technical trails. No boil-overs, or power loss felt. Easy to try.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I just learned of a new technique today. "Jersey Roll"! Originally designed to prevent car jacking:arsenal, this would also solve overheating problems too.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Order a coolant tank from APA and a 1.6 radiator cap. Mine hasnt overheated since I did those two mods.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I run straight anti-freeze no water.
Even the Anti-freeze manufacturers recommend against that. Anti-freeze isn't for cooling, it's for resistance to freezing and for lubricating a cars water pump. Do a little research and you'll find that every dyno test shows that straight water will outperform 50/50 mix, and either of those will outperform straight AF. There are also additives like water wetter that increase performance even more. I run distilled water with water wetter as the tracks I've gone to do not allow anti-freeze, and I wanted something that inhibits corrosion better than just water.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts