SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is cross-posted from BARF.

Greetings.

A buddy received the following e-mails from a local Yamaha dealer (not sure which) in response to a query regarding the WR250X.

One-
we are sold out on the x model.... and i dont know of any dealers with them in stock either.. anyway it might be worth the wait for the 09's they might be making it in a 450 !!! anyway if you have any questions feel free to call,

Two-
yamaha has not let us know if they are making it in a 450 but most of us think that they will and i will know after the dealer meeting in september on the details.....

Maintaining the same power/cc ratio would mean ~54hp (assuming 30 for the 250). That would be agreeable.

Thoughts?

P.S. Presumably, if you have heard something about this, many of us would like to know. Thanks, SMJ.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Definately something I'm hopeful for. The DRZ was a decent start but it's time for the big (japanese) manufacturers to step it up a bit. I love all I've read on the WR250X and am on the fence about buying one (keep telling myself do it for the MPG and forget about the no power/250cc thing). I REALLY hope Yamaha (and Honda, Kawi and Suzuki) build a nice 450. Been waiting on the "real" news on the Hyosung even. I think they'll miss a decent chance to jump in BEFORE the japanese companies and take some of the spotlight. SO IF ANYONE AT YAMAHA IS READING THIS, BUILD IT!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
who the hell would want to buy the 250x if the following year they came out with a 450x? i think they're gonna milk the 250 for a WHILE. If they build it, it'll be the biggest shock of the year for me..

if i bought the 250 and this year comes the 450x, i would sell/trade mine in a heartbeat.
i think having a 250 and 450 supermoto is too much of the same thing for Yamaha....

·
Registered
274 Posts
would definately like to see it, but how reputable is a dealers word on the introduction of a new bike??? i would like to know their source for this info.

·
Registered
207 Posts
450x sounds like a great idea!

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
It ain't gonna happen anytime soon. And when it does, my guess is the motors will be de-tuned for reliability rather than overall power.

·
Registered
426 Posts
yeaaaaaa, what they said^

ain't gonna happing in '09, sorry to say. I'd sell the DRZ if they did though.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Follow the Japanese market, surely it come out there at least a year earlier than here. I also don't think it will come out of until '10 or '11 - too much product cannibalization too early. I got the 250x for now, but this bike would be perfect as a 450 - detuned for reliability and ease of maintenance would a fine trade off for me.

Globally, the 250 makes a lot of marketing sense since the 250 size is very popular due to it being a big cut-off point in most countries tiered licensing, insurance and inspection regulations.

In the US, supermotards as such a tiny fraction of the US market, not to mention the global market, that a 450 specifically for us is hardly worth Yamaha's time and effort.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
If the 250x is as popular as people are saying and Yamaha is working on a 450x - whey would be keeping a bike like that hush hush until the dealer meeting. Dealers love to hear first about new bikes - they place bigger orders if they know something is hot.

The 250x may have just been the test bed for Yamaha to see if a bike in that line medium performance dual sport would sell in the US.

If so they will probably expand the line

The dual sport market has grown over over 80 percent in the last five years - it was pretty small five years ago. This while other markets are going down. This was MIC data from last year.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Honestly I don't see a 450X in the near future, but if it happened I would be interested. Don't get me wrong, I love my 250X and regardless of what people say about the power, it's a lot of fun and easy to ride fast in the twisties. Keep in mind I pretty much ride mine daily now, and while no 450, it will run with traffic all day long and get 65 mpg while doing so (something my Superduke will not do).

Honestly I hope this is a huge hit for Yamaha and a sign of things to come at all the Japanese dealerships... :thumbup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
The '09 line up is already out. And its not listed. Apa posted this in another thread.
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modeloverview/cat/2009/59/model_overview.aspx

If you go to the "street motorcycle" section in the top left, then go to dual sport the wr250x is listed but there is no 450.
Yes, but they only have 3 of the actual 09's listed under the 09 Street Model Overview. The R6S, XT250 and TW200. They haven't revealed sh!t yet as it pertains to the entire street lineup.

I agree with the setiment here, I'd be surprised if they unveiled a 450x for next year. And why not make it an even 500cc if they do. Most people have no inclination to race the street version anyway. It's not like people are racing their 250x's.

·
Registered
247 Posts
i'd be interested, but there's no reason to get our hopes up with crazy hp numbers. i'll guarantee it wont have 54hp. (just like the 250 doesn't have 30.)

i'd be pleased with 45 or so, and that's probably a LOT more realistic, that is, if the 450x is realistic in the first place. ;)

that said, i'd be surprised if yamaha didnt build the 450x. There's obviously a market for it, since its only competitor would likely still be the DRZ. By the way, the DRZ is almost 10 years old now, isn't it time for a new one? 6-speed 45hp DRZ450 here we come! :D

come to think of it, by the time the wr450x does get here, we'll probably also have learned of an all-new DRZ. then things will be interesting. the competition will be good for everyone.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
ya I'd bet the drz will jump to a 450 before the wrx comes out in 450. Like mentioned the drz has been around long enough that there are probably talks about re-doing it to freshen it up some.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I know two people that would of bought the X model but didn't because it was a 250. I think there is a market for it. Heck I want to check out the KTM SMR 690.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know two people that would of bought the X model but didn't because it was a 250. I think there is a market for it. Heck I want to check out the KTM SMR 690.
If they offered a 450 or 500 for '09 I'd definately pick one up, if not it would give me a good excuse to consider a 690 SMC. Figure $7K for the 250x after you put a pipe and programmer on it why not just spend/finance another $2k and go for the gusto. :bike:

·
Registered
48 Posts
What would be ideal is to do what they did with the 250. Take the R1 motor and cut it in half and have a 500 SM. Higher mileage valve adjustments and other maintance stuff. I wouldn't use the motocross/off road motor....I would design a motor for it to make it streetable and stree use friendly.

I hope they do come out with a 450+ SM.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts