SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into buying a 2001 Honda XR650R from a seller in Illinois who has a clean and clear title. I was just wondering, since I'm from Wisconsin, if I could transfer the title from Illinois to Wisconsin? It does have a headlight, front and rear blinkers, and a tail light, and also mirrors.

Thanks for looking/answering

·
Registered
204 Posts
can't imagine why not

But title isn't the same thing as registration.(plating)
That will vary by your state laws.
In Indiana you have to have any out of state vehicle checked by police for VIN verification and for plating they have an inspection form they fill out and you take in to BMV after they've checked the bike out and signed off you get your plate.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Been there, done that (or didn't get it done, depending on how you look at it).
I bought a 2002 XR650R that was titled (on road) and plated in FL last year. The Wisconsin DMV will absolutely NOT plate my bike. I've tried umpteen different ways to get it done and it's not going to happen. They run my VIN and it comes back "off road only". End of story. Thanks for playing along.
Now, some others in this area (central WI) have plated, WI street legal XR650R. There is apparently some VINs that do not come back as "off road only". Whatever those VINs are, mine doesn't have one. I'd be very, very careful about which XR650R I was trying to plate in WI. Maybe get the VIN and go to the WI DMV and have it checked.
Hope this helps.

Bill the Dog

·
Registered
43 Posts
Last fall I went to Indiana and bought a 2000 XR650R. Now the XR was street "legal" in Indiana but was far from street legal in WI. I came back and on that Monday went to the DMV in Milwaukee gave them the title filled out the paper work, $100 later I had a plate. I then proceeded to make the bike street legal with speedo, horn, lights, etc...

I have two friends that have done the same with CRF450X's. One was bought in Michigan from a dealer street legal and the other was bought with an Oregon title. Those were both registered at the Appleton DMV.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Xr650r title

I believe I may have bought the xr650r from IL, was it antioch? I bought a 2001 xr650r supermoto from a member of this site but found it on craigslist. I sent the registration in the mail to the WI DMV with a IL street title and received my plate and registration today. No problems at all. This bike puts my previous xr650l to shame! So i would say if it has a street title from another state buy it because they will register it. I have had friends in the past buy them as dirt bikes and do the dual sport kit, then take them to Michigan for a street title. I am not sure if Michigan will register a bike to a resident of another state anymore, but certainly will inspect it and grant it a street title to a resident and then switch it back to Wisconsin after it has a title, given you know a Michigan resident that you trust and is willing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts