SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so Im about to pick up a XRR, needs some TLC but overall I think its in alright condition and it seems to run fine plus its only $1,300...

Heres my last minute question tho...I want to put it on the street here in NY and Im going to go through the Vermont remote title process...

The current owner only has the registration no MSO/title...but I have been told the regi IS the title basically here in NY...is this right? and will VT accept a NYS Transferable Registration?

·
Registered
995 Posts
If it only has a registration in NY that means it's registered as the dreaded 'off road only' and if plated has an ATV plate. To be street registered in NY it has to either have a MSO or a state issued title.

I think certain title services can probably get you a title for the XRR, I've seen one based in Maine that said it could get a title for anything, but it was not cheap to do (around $600, if I recall correctly).

I can't answer your VT question, but have heard that while it used to be easy to do what you ask that it is easy no longer, and that you must have a VT address and you must take the bike to VT for a state inspection before they will register it there. You might want to do a Google search for registering a out of state bike in VT, as well as look around ADVrider.com as I've seen the issue discussed over there every now and then.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Great topic. I'm close to you in Irondequoit... A friend in Sodus has an 88' XR600 that he plated in VT while a resident there. He lets the bike sit in a barn now, so I was thinking about buying it from him... but only if I could register it as "street legal" bike here in NY. Please let us know what you find out!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But it is true the regi is the title???? and as long as I have the regi in my name I can submit that as the title???

Call the VT DMV.......they will tell you what you need to know. The rules change all the time .
I tried that a while back...they were completely and utterly useless to say the least def a close 2nd to NYS DMV is that sense...their websites dont really answer any of my questions....

I have given up getting a street title for this bike through NYS...for a place full people who bitch about revenue they sure do like to turn away good money...

I knew I had to take it to VT to have it inspected which is fine I could use a road trip...needing an address will be a piss off

·
Registered
545 Posts
Too bad that you had a bad experience on the phone with them . I had to do something similar a while back and got very good info via the phone w/VT DMV . Last year you didnt need an address , but you did need statement that tax has been paid on vehicle or you would have to pay 6% of the vehicles new cost .....you'll hear a dozen items like this ....half of which will be inaccurate . Try calling again , you may get lucky and get the right person

·
Registered
995 Posts
But it is true the regi is the title???? and as long as I have the regi in my name I can submit that as the title???
No, what you have is a transferable registration, which is NOT a title. All off road registered vehicles, such as an ATV, dirt bike, or snowmobile are not issued titles by NY, only transferable registrations.

Only street registered vehicles receive a Certificate of Title.

·
Registered
469 Posts
^ except mopeds and scooters... I havent had one in a few years but they had transferable registrations last time I did...

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
If it does not have a mso/ title you will never be able to register it NY as a street bike, no exceptions. It will just stay a dirt bike/ off road use only. Get the MSO/ Title or leave it behind unless you want it for dirt use only.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I called this morning and got a very compitant and nice person to help me so I figure share the info I got...

I do not need to have a VT address, I can still do it all from NY...BUT I have to take the bike up there to a certified VT shop (the guy said most of the shops are certified now)

From there I turn in a form, the inspection form, and the trans-regi...they will accept the regi for the process since NY does not issue titles...

If your state issues titles then you need a title, if not you need the next equivelant to a title in my case the transferable regi.

Jolly I am not trying to get NYS to issue me anything...Im taking it to VT and they will issue me a street title which I will bring into NYS like that.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I have got two dirt bikes with California ~ Department of Motor Vehicle street legal registration . . .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts