SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I worked on my XR today trying to get a stuck chain adjuster bolt out, by drilling and retapping. However, the sucker is in there so tight, I couldn't even get a drill through the aluminum of the swingarm. :headscrat:

I ended up taking the swingarm off, which is what I should have done in the first place...

I took the forks and rear shock off at the same time, since I'll send these out to have them revalved and to have the springs changed.

Anyway, I have been walking around for a long time to do some engine work to the BRP, mainly make an open air filter kit with a K&N cone filter on the end, as we have seen on other bikes, yes, and throwing in a stage 1 hot cam.
Then I was following a thread over here about powdercoating/anodizing the frame and swingarm...I'm looking to do mine in black and spray the fork legs as well.

At this moment, the bike is pretty torn down. Should I just continue and pull everything off...? How much work is it really to take the engine out and clean the frame. Can I do this in a free weekend? I would imagine so...

Any feedback on the workload of such a project would be appreciated...

In a Saturday afternoon, I went from this:

...to this:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK gringo's...

Today I grabbed a beer and just started removing more stuff, without really thinking about why...I removed the exhaust, brakes, gas tank, shrouds and drained the oil. All that's left now if the frame + subrame, engine and steering stem + handle bars.

To be continued..I'm just going all the way...woohoo! Can't wait to see it murdered out in black.

Coming week I'll tear down the rest and take the engine out. Sweeeeeeeeeet.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a hotcam stage 1 in my bike now that I want to sell to put in a hotcam stage 2. Would you by chance be interesteted in taking that off my hands?

Also I am interested in doing away with my airbox and getting the K&N cone filter and getting an open airfilter kit. Is there a kit that does this, or do you just go to the nearest auto parts store and peice the intake together and buy the filter individually?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have a hotcam stage 1 in my bike now that I want to sell to put in a hotcam stage 2. Would you by chance be interesteted in taking that off my hands?

Also I am interested in doing away with my airbox and getting the K&N cone filter and getting an open airfilter kit. Is there a kit that does this, or do you just go to the nearest auto parts store and peice the intake together and buy the filter individually?
Let me know if you'd be interested in selling your stock airbox.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Yes, I am definitely interested. What do you think about the Stage 1? Why go for Stage 2?

About the K&N filter...I'm not aware of any bolt-on kits. I'll just build my own kit with a cone filter clamped on the end. So yes, I buy the filter separately.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well I'm more of a top of the power band kind of guy, and the only reason it has a stage 1 in it now is because thats what it came with :/

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
you're so far, just do it all.. its not much more work at this point... clean everything, use new bearings when you put it back together, and she'll be like new...

then go ride in the mud. you know.. just cause.

·
Registered
210 Posts
man do it I love my XRR and am planning to do the same with mine this winter.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I have decided to go all the way. Coming weekend I'll strip the rest and clean the frame.

This is going to be one bitchin' project! :arsenal

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Well, I have decided to go all the way. Coming weekend I'll strip the rest and clean the frame.

This is going to be one bitchin' project! :arsenal
More pictures:clap:

Im thinking of stripping my bike apart and doing a complete rebiuld and cleaning everything down as well. Something to do in the winter months.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts