SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna need your guys help on this one.

About two weeks ago I was riding home late at night and woke up in the hospital. The Doc informed me I was in an accident and had a broken jaw, right ulna, and thumb. Officers later told me it was a hit and run, that the guy ran the light, and my short term romance with my xr650r was over.
After receiving the police report it turns out the guy left the car (mazda mpv) at the scene and it's registered to some auto salvage place and had two different stolen plates on it.

Anyway, I now sit here typing this with one hand and drinking from a straw overlooking whats left of my bike after my friends carried it into the living room of my apartment. Could really use some help with a few things from you guys as I had purchased the bike already SMd.

Bike Before

Bike Now

After One Handed Tear Down

Everything from the front is gone except the hub, tire, and top part of the steering damper.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So my plan is a crf swap on the front which I got the gist of. Going to do it with a bearing swap since my steering stem snapped in the crash. A couple of questions I have is on the frame. It looks like part of the front end gouged the frame in the front deep enough to let oil out and the bottom of the steering neck where the stem ripped out is pretty chewed up (might be workable with new races). Also gambling that the frame is still straight. Hoping to clean it up anodized gold again but could do powder coat. Is it possible with this old frame or just get a new one? I have one sourced for $460 shipped. Will changing the frame affect street legal status?

Sorry about the pictures. Best I could get with left hand.

I was also under the impression this bike had talon hubs but now that I look at them I can't figure out what symbol that is.

Since most of it is shot I figured I would just buy a new crf wheel to fit the new forks but would like the hubs to match.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nevermind they are talon hubs I'm just too lazy to roll the wheel over.

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm good, thanksgiving is going to suck is all.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Changing the frame WILL affect title status. The frame IS the bike. You can literally take a CBR 1000 engine, and if you can fit that into an XR100 frame, the bike is registered as an XR100.

If you're just talking about modifying the XR650 frame, then that will not change your title status.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, so I'm sticking with this frame. Any idea how I can check if it is still straight? It looks fine to the naked eye but is there a way to check that the neck is still square to the rear axel?

·
Registered
79 Posts
You can have it measured by laser. GMD computrack(?) is the company I've heard of used before. You would probably have better luck asking that on the WERA forum though.

The other option is to rebuild the bike, and you will feel it right away if it's not straight... That is probably the more viable option, because laser measuring probably isn't cheap, and the reality is that you're going to buy a new frame if it's not straight anyway.

you can attempt poor-man's "laser" measurement using string. the basic principle is that you take a long length of string, and get it taught between 2 points (i have used jack-stands) That creates a straight line that you can set parallel (touching) the swing-arm. Then do the same along the neck of the frame (maybe run a level down from the stem?), and run a second length of string. The longer the string is, the more a small tweak will show as the angle opens up.

...that was a crappy written explanation, and true laser measurement is a lot more precise.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
You can have it measured by laser. GMD computrack(?) is the company I've heard of used before. You would probably have better luck asking that on the WERA forum though.

The other option is to rebuild the bike, and you will feel it right away if it's not straight... That is probably the more viable option, because laser measuring probably isn't cheap, and the reality is that you're going to buy a new frame if it's not straight anyway.

you can attempt poor-man's "laser" measurement using string. the basic principle is that you take a long length of string, and get it taught between 2 points (i have used jack-stands) That creates a straight line that you can set parallel (touching) the swing-arm. Then do the same along the neck of the frame (maybe run a level down from the stem?), and run a second length of string. The longer the string is, the more a small tweak will show as the angle opens up.

...that was a crappy written explanation, and true laser measurement is a lot more precise.
That last comment has me laughing. In my business laser drive train alignment is all the rage, or was a few years back, at the end of the day everything comes out as it has for at least 40 years, 3 degrees, 3½ degrees and 10 degrees. You don't even have to calculate anything. It is what it is, was, always will be. But the fools that sell that technology will say its the only way.

We must...We must...increase our boost

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi,

I hope you recover well!

I'm personally a Ducati mechanic, and if a frame got such a strong beating, most of the time we change. I wouldn't take the risk of having a bad frame. But then you have the papers problems of course :(

The best option is like RK97 said I think. Try to figure it out with some straight lines and stands. And while you are building up the bike again everything will become clear. I know it sucks because you need to know if you can buy a CRF front.... (You can start building in the rear and keep the front for the last part...)

Tim.

·
Registered
537 Posts
No need to wander forums to get info on GMD Computrak frame measurements.

I've had two machines measured and straightened so far. My FZR was only a lil tweaked from years of racing, my 1992 WR250Z was borderline hilariously off.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...508_854477464606272_5557338992382658502_o.jpg

That's my machine in the jig before straightening, you can see just how far out of whack the steering stem was. Lots of heat, LOTS of heat and force later, it's as straight as an arrow. Generally speaking you're looking at about $100 for the measurement, you'll then get an estimate for what's required to make it right from there. Normally, given what your bike's been through I'd be shoving you towards a Computrak shop with all speed. That said, your frame carries oil and needs repair, that oil soaked aluminum may not take kindly to welds? I'd call Computrak and explain what you're dealing with, I dunno if that oil soaked area will push you towards being smarter to just replace the frame or not?

In the mean time, if you've got any other questions about Computrak frame measuring, lemmie know.

·
Registered
44 Posts
sorry about your situation man, hope recovery is/was smooth, as a fellow sumo XRR owner i hope to see a solid recovery for the bike as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts