SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be converting my XRR hopefully soon my parts gathering is about over. I had traded my car for a bunch of misc sumo parts. I have the choice of a 4.25, 4.5 and 5 rear. I know the 5 would fit but how much work does it really take? I'm really just looking for a bit of a easier way but was also wondering if the 5 is worth it.
What work and parts are needed for fitting the 5 and 4.5? Pretty sure the 4.25 is a mount and go.
Thanks

·
Registered
581 Posts
5" is the way to go with all the torque of the 650R-> more meat to spend in the corners.....You can modify your chain guide for easier wheelchange (check my topic about that :D) . A 5" will not be a prob when it's laced like it should be.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Dont' mean to hijack but maybe we can help eachother out. I can't answer your question but I have a set of bolt-on CBR cast (tubeless) supermoto wheels from a CBR F3 that will bolt right onto the XRR. I'm selling them for $600 shipped!! PM if interested.

·
Registered
204 Posts
There is NO need for a 5" rim on any super moto.
That bad ass 650R has TINY hp compared to steet bikes.
You can run 160's on a 4.25 that is crazy overkill for 50hp. :rofl:

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Can't tell if your being sarcastic but you might wanna tell aprillia that they have way to much rubber on their sxv 550 then...

Go with the 5. I have a 4.5 and I've yet to find a 160 that fits right.

·
Registered
204 Posts
So you think everything on a bike is there for functionality? :D

Big fat rubber is sexy. For some that's enough. :hmmm:

·
Registered
204 Posts
5" is the way to go with all the torque of the 650R-> more meat to spend in the corners.....You can modify your chain guide for easier wheelchange (check my topic about that :D) . A 5" will not be a prob when it's laced like it should be.
You are talking about a bike with FIFTY,(FIFTY!) HP and "all the torque" is TINY compared multi cyl bikes.
Simply nutz..... (nothing personal!) :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
Can't tell if your being sarcastic but you might wanna tell aprillia that they have way to much rubber on their sxv 550 then...

Go with the 5. I have a 4.5 and I've yet to find a 160 that fits right.
ContiForce SM 160/60/17 works quite well on my "tiny" 4.25" rim :thumbup:

·
Registered
419 Posts
big tires lose their roundness if put on a wheel too skinny. They get eggshell profiles that actually put less of a contact patch on the ground.

As for which tire width to run...that's another topic :anim_peep:

But you should consider what width of tire you want to run and match the wheel width accordingly.

·
Registered
264 Posts
One thing you should check into is what type of tires are you going to want to run. The 150's that will fit properly(key word) on the 4.25" have kind of a limited selection. I just laced up a 4.25 on my xr650l b/c i was worried about the fit. Now the problem is finding what I want in a 150. There are way more tires available in 160. I think it is best to work a little backwards, first determine what type of rubber you want/need, then find out what size is available, then determine if you can make it fit. It would suck to drop the coin to find out that you wished you went bigger..,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts