SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which of these bikes would be best for street riding? And which would be easiest to maintain? I now have a 650R, but everytime I see a 510, I always wonder what that bike would feel like on the street. here is my bike===>

·
Registered
38 Posts
Nice lookin bike, it looks like you are already there. It is hard to beat the XR650R for ease of maintenance. With a fork brace and a little more aggressive street tires, what else could you want?

Truth in disclosure...l have not rode a 510, but I sure like my XR :D

·
Registered
952 Posts
Its like being on the starting grid at every light, hahaha. Its also like being a factory mechanic when you get home and have to do work on the bike all the time. How many miles do you usually ride? How much do you want to wrench on your bike? I own a 510 and it is awesome but at the same time you should be aware of what you are getting into. They are completely different animals.

·
Registered
193 Posts
That's a pretty nice XR you've got there! :thumbup:

The Husky definitely has more performance, but there's a price to pay in maintenance. How about doing a CR fork swap or something for the XR?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its like being on the starting grid at every light, hahaha. Its also like being a factory mechanic when you get home and have to do work on the bike all the time. How many miles do you usually ride? How much do you want to wrench on your bike? I own a 510 and it is awesome but at the same time you should be aware of what you are getting into. They are completely different animals.
I usually ride about 200 miles on weekends and about 20-30 commuting miles on weekdays. And for working on the bike, I am always in the garage just thinking of something to do on my bike. I guess I just need to ride a 510 just to get my mind off of it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a pretty nice XR you've got there! :thumbup:

The Husky definitely has more performance, but there's a price to pay in maintenance. How about doing a CR fork swap or something for the XR?
Thought about it, but I just changed my springs to some Eibachs and I am satisfied with the outcome.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
i would without a doubt take your XR over the Husky.

i like riding too much for the Huskys maintenance requirements.
i learned my lesson with my Ducati. working on bikes is fun. HAVING to work on bikes SUCKS.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I usually ride about 200 miles on weekends and about 20-30 commuting miles on weekdays. And for working on the bike, I am always in the garage just thinking of something to do on my bike. I guess I just need to ride a 510 just to get my mind off of it.
Just remember that there is difference between wanting to putter around and work on your bike and HAVING to work on it constantly.
The 510 is a race bike pure and simple. It demands attention and rewards with performance.
The XR would probably work better for your uses with the mileage you are talking about- 30/day x 5 days = 150 + 200/weekend = 350 x 52 weeks = 18,200 miles a year. Now look at the maintenance schedule for a 510 and see how many oil changes / valve adjustments / rebuilds that comes out to.

·
Registered
64 Posts
mrdude 1 said it perfectly. working on bikes are fun untill its a job. husky is deff a job. lol seriously if you spend some money into your xr performance wise it will out run the husky ive seen some big numbers come out of the xr. and as for electric starts... only pussys with small legs need those. kick starts are for the real men. =] keep the xr.

·
Registered
7 Posts
E start not needed, though a turbo kit...

My XR650 sees hundreds of miles a week, and kick starts easily. Oil and chain are only items to date that need attention.:bike:.

There is a freestyle show here in Tijuana I put it on the calender June 28th

·
Registered
51 Posts
No no no these people are all wrong, you need to sell (me) your XR and buy yourself one of those 510,s yup thats whatcha gotta do

·
Registered
696 Posts
The weight was the factor for me. I like working on my bike and because it is
a race bike they make it is simple to work on. I weight 155 the Honda is a beast.
The Husky is light,fast and handles like a dream.:thumbup:

funniest bike I have owned:bike:

07 510 SMR:arsenal

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
The weight is a big diffornce, but on the street the XRR is as light a bike as you need. Its more stable at high speeds. I was debating between the 510 and XR last fall when i was looking for a bike. The 510fit me awsome, although i never got to test ride it:headshake

Anyway i went with the XR because of the way i ride. Ive put 8100 miles on it in around 10 months. And normally im blasting at higher speeds. 55-65 through the twisties.

How is the stock gearing on the 510? I got a CRF450R to race, and its geared super low! I need a tiny little sprocket to ride it on the street, with race gearing anything over 50 is revving it pritty good in 5th:headshake

Here's one of my favorite from a ride yesterday

·
Registered
371 Posts
My roommate has an XRR, I've got a 610, and I've got a buddy with a 510. I like the 610 the best because it's electric start, it's a lot more compact than the XRR, and it's much more street-friendly than the 510. I've got probably 50% more fuel range than the 510, and quite a bit more on maint intervals too. The 510 IS pretty sick, though... I just like riding better than wrenching.

To me, the 510 would be great, if not perfect, as a second bike (I.E. whenever I want to ride around like a maniac and have a blast, I'll take the 510 -- when i want to go to work or out for a longer ride, I'll take the F800GS) --I just don't think I'd commit to it if it was my ONLY bike. I would feel like I could never ride it to work (~75 miles round trip) or just cruise around. Know what I mean?

My roommates XR is bulletproof, and has similar performance to my 610. It's uncomfortably tall for me (still in dirt trim), but other than that, I love it.

p.s. i don't own an F800GS, I just WISH i did. That's why I have a 610, not a 510 -- i put >200 miles on it yesterday.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts