SuperMoto Junkie banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
your high speed wobble is just from the knobby tires skipping along at high speed and front end geometry, some of it can be fixed by riding position too- when the front end gets weird, move right to the front of the seat to put more weight on the front, nuts on the gas cap, elbows up, hold on with your knees.

a 17" wheelset with some good tires will allow you to take all that straightaway speed and lay it down through a corner confidently due to much larger and more secure contact patch between the tire and the ground. The wide rear rim gives you a big shoulder of rubber to allow you to really explore scraping your foot pegs, while the front will feel planted.

To give you a sense of 17's, I've been riding supermotos since 2005 when I plated my old CRF450r, and we rip through the city back alleys and parkades, up the highway into the mountains, then go off onto logging roads and even some less-tech mountain bike trails, riding through creeks, over logs, etc all on 17's. The only things that are tricky to ride on slick tires are mud and light sand, the heidenau k73 is a decent tire off road if you're doing a little more dirt biased routes, but if you're just on the street something like the S21/S22's are awesome as you'll get some life out the rear and its sticky right from go and you can do all the city/highway/gravel/trails.

Buchanan in Cali can sort out lacing some new hubs to some rims, you can even find an old used set of excel rims and get them re-powder coated or anodized for cheap and then laced up at Buchanan's to some used stock hubs. The hubs on my old CRF hubs were stock, their sand casting marks cleaned up a bit on a lathe, and then they were anodized black.

If you're spending the money, might as well make it special.

Have fun

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yeah, I need a second set of wheels. 21-18 with knobs for Enduro stuff and 17s for daily use. I've heard this is the job for 2 bikes but I've only got room for one horse in the barn.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I used to swap my CRF back and forth. I had it so that I had two sets of plastics, the street ones with all the turn signals attached and a second one with the stock dirt stuff so i could drop it off road and still have it look sexy on the street. I put in a wiring loom connector at the head tube so I could take off the headlight/front turn signal combo I made. The other thing I did was have a complete secondary front brake setup, a 320mm braking caliper/rotor and I put on a Brembo radial master with a stainless line for effortless one fingered stoppies, so I could swap wheels and not have to play with brake fluids and rotor swaps to cross over, saving time. This way it’s just about 6 bolts to loosen.

With the secondary brake setup I also had a shorter supermoto chain to swap on. I could do the entire swap in 25 mins with a beer in hand.

lol I just remembered I also wired up a headlight kill switch for night wheelies downtown as it’s a dead giveaway to cops what you’re up to when your headlight starts climbing buildings

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
That's the ideal setup. I have the stock plastics and tank for dirt and the giant acerbis 6 gallon for touring. I think the 17s and a big front brake will make touring feel a lot more planted.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts