SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious to hear from the people that run a 650r on the street. I have been looking at drz400's for a while and happen to see this one pop up in my price range

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/mcy/3927470021.html

I know these are a world apart from a drz but I havent heard anything really bad about the 650r.

My only real concern with it is that I will have to add blinkers because its required in WI. I also know it will need tires by next season. Aside from that it is a super clean looking bike and with low miles (around 2k).

Is it worth it to go check this one out?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I had a 650r for a short time but could not get it "legal" in MD. They are bullet proof, period. Tons of torque and a huge aftermarket. I would sell or trade my WR for an already titled xrr in a heartbeat. I don't think you could go wrong with one.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I have owned 3 XR650R's.
One of them I did a street tard.
If you do it right you won't be dissatisfied.
I would still have it but needed money to finish my shop. :nutkick:
One became the other...

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
My only real concern with it is that I will have to add blinkers because its required in WI. I also know it will need tires by next season. Aside from that it is a super clean looking bike and with low miles (around 2k).

Is it worth it to go check this one out?
Price is about right. If you have to upgrade the stator, add a battery and blinkers you're looking at another 200 bucks or so on top of that price.

I have over 5K into mine and I was real careful on the build, doing all the work myself.

Well worth it though :thumbup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How does it compare to the DRZ in terms of maintenance and reliability. It would be a good 5 hours drive for me to look at it so I really want to be sure

Thanks btw for all the input so far!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I bought my 2000 XR650R used in 02.
It looked beat when I got it.
I cleaned it up and rode it for 8 years.
Adjusted the valves once when I installed a Hot Cams Stage 2 Cam.
Changed the coolant once a year.
Changed the oil every few months.
Never changed the plug ever.
Besides uncorking it, one of the best mods I did was a complete Big Gun ceramic coated exhaust.
More power, sounds great, and greatly reduces the header heat.
Even rode it in shorts a few times to go fishing and it didn't burn the hair from my leg :lol:

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I'll play devils advocate here... I owned a 2002 XR650R super moto for a little while. I also owned a 2003 DRZ E super moto. First of all consider where you're going to be riding mostly; street, track, trail, what? My XR had been de-restricted however the carburetor was stock... I know that adding a pumper carb really wakes the bike up. In saying that I feel personally that the XR has too many Achilles' heel's. For one that is an 11-year-old bike. It is kickstart only, The suspension is very soft and antiquated and takes quite a bit of work and money to get anything good out of it. As already said it needs some good engine mods to really wake it up which again costs more money. My final complaint was the transmission gear ratio, I just could not get it right no matter what sprocket combo I used. It either had good pull but was hitting the rev limiter on the highway or I could stretch its legs but then I wouldn't have the pull down low that I wanted. My advice to you would be find yourself a WR450 or a KTM525EXC and never look back they do everything the XR and the DRZ do but they do it much better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks 929rc51, those are all things to consider. I will have to check out those bikes you mentioned. I would be mostly using this for street in and around town. I would also like to cruise country roads around here.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'll play devils advocate here... I owned a 2002 XR650R super moto for a little while. I also owned a 2003 DRZ E super moto. First of all consider where you're going to be riding mostly; street, track, trail, what? My XR had been de-restricted however the carburetor was stock... I know that adding a pumper carb really wakes the bike up. In saying that I feel personally that the XR has too many Achilles' heel's. For one that is an 11-year-old bike. It is kickstart only, The suspension is very soft and antiquated and takes quite a bit of work and money to get anything good out of it. As already said it needs some good engine mods to really wake it up which again costs more money. My final complaint was the transmission gear ratio, I just could not get it right no matter what sprocket combo I used. It either had good pull but was hitting the rev limiter on the highway or I could stretch its legs but then I wouldn't have the pull down low that I wanted. My advice to you would be find yourself a WR450 or a KTM525EXC and never look back they do everything the XR and the DRZ do but they do it much better.
I have been riding my XRR for almost 2 years now, lots of highway miles and commutes to work in 105 heat in Texas, never overheated, never failed me, I still haven't checked the valves...its a hauss...its very un sumo-like in that I don't have to worry about her...ever...on the highway. When I ride other sumos..I'm always worried about highway riding, not the BRP...I will never get rid of her, best commuter I have ever owned.

rs51 said it well though, the suspension is soft and antiquated and I cant find the right ratio either, but I settle for less top speed in the end.

Best commuter EVER...but it does leave you wanting a more modern stiff sumo, but then what do you really want, performance or an all arounder?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I had a DRZ (well, ok- 4 of them) and tried an SM610 to get more power- must have been a friday afternoon bike, because there was hardly an original part on it when I sold it. Everything broke. After the husky I bought the last DRZ and BB'd it. It was an awesome bike, but at that point I had the same maintenance as a much lighter bike and so I sold it. I contemplated XRR but the weight, suspension and kick-start only pushed me to a WR450. I don't have much time on it at all, but I think it will be the ticket. I love the torque of bigger motors, but I chose the WR mainly for the higher spec suspension.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I had my suspension rebuilt by Richard at www.Houseofhorsepower.com
Suspension problems gone.
I rode it on the Street, Desert, and Single track.
I don't remember the gearing as it was set up when I got it.
Top speed was 102 MPH by GPS and I could ride nasty trails without a problem.
I would have enjoyed a little higher gearing for 70 mph highway cruising but the beast never complained.
I did run a Edlebrock Pumper which gained a small edge on initial acceleration but if your jetting is correct the stock carb is fine.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Top speed was 102 by GPS and I could ride nasty trails without a problem.
I would have enjoyed a little higher gearing for 70 mph highway cruising but the beast never complained.
I did run a Edlebrock Pumper which gained a small edge on initial acceleration but if your jetting is correct the stock carb is fine.
Do they do good work there? i am in the process of converting my crf250l to sm. I think a new spring and vavle kit will do wonders on this bike. What does something like this cost?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I have been riding my XRR for almost 2 years now, lots of highway miles and commutes to work in 105 heat in Texas, never overheated, never failed me, I still haven't checked the valves...its a hauss...its very un sumo-like in that I don't have to worry about her...ever...on the highway. When I ride other sumos..I'm always worried about highway riding, not the BRP...I will never get rid of her, best commuter I have ever owned.

rs51 said it well though, the suspension is soft and antiquated and I cant find the right ratio either, but I settle for less top speed in the end.

Best commuter EVER...but it does leave you wanting a more modern stiff sumo, but then what do you really want, performance or an all arounder?
I can agree on the points you made. Just so we're clear here I am in no way saying the XRR is a shitty bike. It just didn't suite my needs.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Top speed was 102 by GPS and I could ride nasty trails without a problem.
You can get springs and shim stacks put in it but there isn't really much adjustment to the forks if I recall. Even still how much did the fork rebuild cost you? You could always do a crf usd swap but for the couple hundo you spend and the amount of machining and labor it takes, again you have $500-700 wrapped up in forks.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Do they do good work there? i am in the process of converting my crf250l to sm. I think a new spring and vavle kit will do wonders on this bike. What does something like this cost?
Go to his website and you can email him or call him.
I don't know his pricing.
He has done 5 complete bike suspension set ups for me over the years.
All of them worked flawlessly.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts