SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is a better choice and why for an around town commuter/play toy with a lot less highway then around town riding.

· Registered
426 Posts
Which is a better choice and why for an around town commuter/play toy with a lot less highway then around town riding.
I'm kinda partial to the DRZ400sm. It's practically bulletproof. Just my opinion, but it looks better than the other two. Liquid cooled with a fan, so it won't get too hot at stop lights. Roughly the same HP as the xr from what I have heard. Parts, info, and advise readily available in abundance.

XR650L - 346lbs - ?hp
DR650 - 324lbs - ?hp
DRZ400sm - 295lbs - ?hp

· Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
650L: 31hp @ 6000 rpm 29.7 torque @3800 RPM
DR650: 34hp
DRZ: 35hp 27tq

So with the weight difference the DRZ would be much faster?

· Registered
1,142 Posts
I can speak volumes to this, sort of. I have a drz 400 sm. My brother has a XR 650L. My experience has been that, in the real world, the bikes are dead even. By that I mean, that they are so close in performance that the bike is NOT the determining factor in anything other than a straight up drag race down a straight road. And even then, the difference is minimal.

My brother and I just did a weekend in WNC and rode 320 miles in ONE day, all twisties, with a lot of forest service gravel roads in the mix. The bikes were very evenly matched and the ONLY difference between the two was tire choice.

I don't know about the DR 650. Never ridden one.

Now, that being said, for ME, the drz sm is "better" because I like the 17's and the way it looks.

· Registered
111 Posts
My friend and I swapped bikes last weekend for a few miles.

He has a new stock 650L and I have a XR426SM.

I freeked when I got on the gas, the 650 motor sounded like a rock in a tin can.

Ping, Ping, Ping! scared the shit out of me. I thought I was going to seize the motor.

I know the motor has all kinds of polution control stuff on it but I was not very impressed at all at the bike in it's stock form.

I seemed to need alot of work to get it really be a runner....

It had decent power but came on slowly, the seat was plush but the bike bike felt really heavy and awkward to ride.

just my 2 cents worth.

· Registered
426 Posts
650L: 31hp @ 6000 rpm 29.7 torque @3800 RPM
DR650: 34hp
DRZ: 35hp 27tq

So with the weight difference the DRZ would be much faster?
400cc putting out 35hp or you can add another 250cc and loose 4 hp?!?! Doesn't seem like much of a question in that regard. Just an assumption here, but I would guess that adding 250cc would also cut down fuel economy?:hmmm:

I would say go with the one that's lighter, more powerful, dependable, and already set up and tagged for the street, but then again, that's just me.

· Registered
9,331 Posts
For me it was a no brainer. The DRZ has modern ergonomics, and I always hated the big bubble gas tanks and sitting in the seat rather than on it fell of the big XR's and DR's. Light weight, bombproof reliability, decent power, and looks the most like a converted MX bike to me. I love my DRZ :thumbup: That being said, I really like the converted XR 650R, but it's not a factory turnkey option sadly.

· Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
with the XR's you have to uncork them, heck the xr650r has about 35 hp stock, but just uncork the thing (how other countries get it) and you have 50 whp
Commiefornia doesnt allow you to make a 650R road legal. Since it doesnt have emissions equipment. And yet if i buy a DRZ and yank off all its emissions garbage. Then its still completely legal. Idiocracy at its finest.

· Registered
193 Posts
Commiefornia doesnt allow you to make a 650R road legal. Since it doesnt have emissions equipment. And yet if i buy a DRZ and yank off all its emissions garbage. Then its still completely legal. Idiocracy at its finest.
No it's not legal. It is illegal to take all that stuff off your bike. People just do it and get away with it cuz it's rarely ever checked.

· Registered
1 Posts
drz400sm

I have only taken the dr out for a quick ride but went with the drz I like the liquid cooled and the in between size. I also just picked up new back tires for my old 85 honda xl350 r before I blew it up. I like the off roading and the commute to work. I run a 460-17 on the front and a 510-17 on the rear with a 70 dirt 30 road split and love the power and handleing both on and off the road

· Registered
77 Posts
If u like modding stuff or building a faster engines. Take the xr or the dr. If u like to ride them stok or whit bolt on mods, take the suzi... They are all bulletproof. But u can get much more power very easily out from the 650cc bikes, pretty cheap to if compared to the smaller engine.

So the question is, do you wrench and ride or are you a bolt on rider... :D

· Registered
2,990 Posts
I vote for the DRZ solely for the far superior suspension and handling. I was an XR owner too so that should say something.

· Registered
2,990 Posts
If u like modding stuff or building a faster engines. Take the xr or the dr. If u like to ride them stok or whit bolt on mods, take the suzi... They are all bulletproof. But u can get much more power very easily out from the 650cc bikes, pretty cheap to if compared to the smaller engine.

So the question is, do you wrench and ride or are you a bolt on rider... :D
Well, kinda. Everything you do to the DRZ will make a big difference since it is a more modern motor. The other two can be modded but they are both at least 35~40lbs heavier too.

· Registered
109 Posts
I have only taken the dr out for a quick ride but went with the drz I like the liquid cooled and the in between size. I also just picked up new back tires for my old 85 honda xl350 r before I blew it up. I like the off roading and the commute to work. I run a 460-17 on the front and a 510-17 on the rear with a 70 dirt 30 road split and love the power and handleing both on and off the road
I'm pretty sure your first post bumped a thread from 2 0 0 8 ?:headscrat

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.