SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I bought a 93 XR650L in CA with transmission issues. Upon teardown I found the 2nd gear slider and the freewheeler that engaged it had worn dogs and dog houses. The shift fork that moved the slider was also badly worn. I replaced the 2 gears and the shift fork. While I was in there I bored the cylinder .25 over and had the valve seats cleaned up. After reassembly the bike started and ran great but going from 1st to 2nd it gets hung up. It will go into 2nd easier under HEAVY load and by kicking it HARD with my heel. After getting through 2nd the bike shifts from 3rd though 5th flawlessly. Now I'm thinking I have to tear it down again and replace the shift drum. It didn't look worn when I was in there last so I don't know where to go next. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I don't have an answer for you but try posting on ThumperTalk in the XR section, theres a lot of info there :thumbup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the heads up. I will be taking pics and documenting the transformation to SM soon. :thumbup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the engine came out pretty easy this time. I didn't even need a helper. Just scooted the bottom forward and the top back and she slid out to the right. I pulled the valve cover also and broke my brand new valve cover gasket. I expected to spend at least $50 in gaskets, but hoped I could have saved that one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts