SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1994 xr600r. the PO put an eibach 220 lb spring on the rear shock. I am only about 165, maybe 175 with gear and stuff. should this be a problem?

my front end is squirley and wants to go into a headshake when I get to about 85 mph. I have lowered the front end maybe 3-4 inches. and have a lowering link. I assume the fork springs and oil are stock, but don't know. 18" wheel on the front with a 120/90, 17 on the back with a 140/80.

Is a headshake at speed normal for these bikes? I assume so, because of the long forks and being made for dirt/desert.

I just bought a fork brace from RSW. have not gotten it yet.

I am sure this will help, but given that the bike is about 15 yrs old should I also be changing fork oil? what weight to use? how often should fork springs be replaced? and should I be draining air from the fork cap valves?

lots of questions I know...:headscrat

·
Registered
122 Posts
Tighten your steering stem bolt & if you haven't did so already switch to a true SM front fender then retest if that doesn't work look into revalving your front shocks & last but not least a steering dampener..

·
Registered
366 Posts
did you just pull your forks up in the clamp because that could cause headshake at high speeds?pull them up in the trees for better turning drop them down for beter high speed stability thats what ive been always told.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
ah, the steering stem bolt. forgot all about that.

I do have a SM front fender, with a fender brace, too.

and I lowered the front by just sliding the fork tubes up through the trees. I could raise it back up, but it was doing the same thing before I lowered it. it's hard to tell if it's better or worse.

I'm hoping the fork brace solves my problem.

so do you guys think the rear shock spring being for a heavier rider should make that big of a difference that I need to replace it?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
by the way I'm short for a supermoto guy.:anim_peep:

more in the height range of a cafe racer guy.:D

jk. but I notice a lot of tall guys on dual sports and SM's

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
still squirley at 85, but tightening the stem bolt def helped with the vibration and shakiness. good call.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got a fork brace, that helped.

then I noticed that my metzler front tire had some cracks in the sidewalls, I replaced it with a sportier, stickier shinko. that helped a lot.

then I realized that my front fender is actually a stock one that the PO cut down and put an acerbis brace on. I took it off and went for a test ride.

like night and day. I can't believe what a diff it made. I just ordered an Acerbis front fender. it was only $30. shoulda done that a long time ago.

even with the fender off, though I still get a headshake if I get up past 90 mph. I'm sure getting my suspension set up for my weight will help, but I might also throw a steering damper on there.

the new style dampers that fit on top of the trip tree made for the XR are around 3-4 hun. more than I want to spend for that type of thing. but it is pretty easy to find the old style dampers for 30 bucks or less (the kind that look like the ones on doors). and even the new style off of stock cbr's.

I was thinking of mounting an old style one, attaching to a fork tube clamp and then the other end would attach to a bracket/square tube clamp fit to the frame tube in front.

there are also small ones that can be attached to the trip tree and the head tube.

anyone know of any homemade setups like this on an XR?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts