SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Ok maybe considered a crazy title, but it's not. A video one day in the future would explain.

I've owned quite a lot of bikes over the years, supermoto wise the Husaberg 650 Force being quite a street ride. 40 miles one way nearly had me crying, never mind the return leg!

I now live in Greece, an island and the roads are the best I've seen period. We are talking hairpin bends 50m apart, steep inclines, drop offs which if you over cook, you're flying like a baddy in a bond film. You take your choice as no one is here to save you.

Temps in summer are 35degs celcius, traffic very little, dealer network support....ok

I was looking at an xr400, yes low powered, but I'm thinking enough grunt for low end not daft speeds for fun? Plus dirt wheels for the off road would be a bonus. My speeds around here would be 30-60mph mostly and that's the Twisties. Straight coastal roads only 30-40 max.

I like the idea of lower maintenance, honda etc, mpg, but don't want to travel around Greece to find out it would be just a slug. Videos I've seen, they look enough, but are they? I am experienced and know it won't be a patch on a Husaberg, but I don't need that level of power Seriously the roads here are so tight plus you have to be wary of Greek drivers so can't go crazy anyway.

The wrf thought is that. From what I read if I went for the drz, it's not much more hassle to go for the wrf with a lot more fun, but would I need it. My gut tells me not for this area. However a ccm 644 Rotax I had in the UK years ago was nothing special. In fact boring.

If I was in the UK I could find bikes local enough to decide, Greece is very different and total crap listed for daft prices, mostly a long drive away.

Thoughts guys.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I'd say the biggest issue would be parts. What can you get for both bikes. Sounds like nearly anything will be fun. Sounds to me like I would take handling over power. Sadly I dont have seat time on a converted xr400. The Wr steel frame versions felt pretty good but I never rode any newer ones that had been converted. What is your price range? Are those the only 2 choices?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a titled and tagged '98 XR400 with a pair of 17" GSXR wheels that were "made" to fit, plus a 2003 CR250r front end and a Mikuni pumper. It takes me a Very leisurely ~2hrs to swap from SM to full off road--fork and wheel swap--back to the original 21" x 18" factory wheels.
In 20+ years with the 400 (Motor-wise) I've adjusted the valves and changed the oil and replaced the clutch...(just once with the clutch, and out of caution as it seemed it might have ben starting to slip just detectably in top gear--probably could have just done springs, but I'm not going to take it apart and just put the HD springs in it. That was in 2002 if my notes are correct). I'm not an "Abuser", but I am a "Hard user". To me, the old air cooled Hondas are pure legend. I also have a '98 XR600 w/660 kit--9:1, and both bikes are bullet proof, and both were greatly improved with the Mikuni Pumper (The single best $400 or so you could spend on a 400 IMO) Also, USD forks on the XR400 really help with front end feel, and eliminate the weird "on road" Brake Steer the conventional forks allow when grabbing the front brake--USD's + the big rotor allow for super easy super controllable stoppies. I've swapped a new piston/rings into the 660 once, due to several thousand miles of Baja going back to pre-9/11 and then the early 2000's (Blast furnace heat, Dust like talc, and mystery gasoline if you have to buy locally sometimes-- But the 400 has the original piston and rings, and still uses no oil between changes--How many modern bikes can go 20+ years and untold miles without ever having the motor opened up?
For me, the "Just ride it" factor of the XR wins Big Time. If I want to be a bit more "Outlaw" (or ride in anger), I also have 2 titled and tagged CR500's, but the XR's get a lot more casual miles, and Smiles!
My vote, the XR FOR SURE. If you get a nice one, it won't explode one day without warning, and resale will remain high if you want to change-up later.
On a separate note, aren't 2T Street legal bikes still a thing over there? If so, I'd be tempted to look at that option as well. If I could change one thing, I would have bought a spare XR400 way back when--I have several 500's, and it's nice to never have to wait for hard parts.
Also-as an aside, It Sounds like you could do a serious business if you could import used XR's, tidy them up and turn them for a nice price--although importing may an "Expert Only" activity in some locales...not sure where Greece lands on the Bureaucratic BS scale.
Best regards, Mike in NJ.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If it was me, the most important thing would be to get a bike with a 6 speed wide ratio transmision. Driving a 5 speed or/and a close ratio transmision on the streets gets old fast...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts