SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm looking for a few things for my 96 xr 650l. I converted to F2 cbr wheels and I need some help with the bearings and some other things. I know Kubiak has done this all and has it down, but i have some general questions that need answered. Speaking of Kubiak, is there a link to his write up on converting to cbr wheels?

My goal is to have everything working and done by easter (hopefully about 2 weeks before easter). Here is a list of the things i still need:

All bearings for conversion to stock forks and swingarm
rear sprocket (40-46 teeth)
front rotor (any suggestions on brands or sizes?)
relocation bracket (I can make it as soon as i have rotors and bearings)
tires (160 for back and 120 for front)

If anyone has any of these for sale for cheap, I'd like to check them out

I also have a few more questions about some other mods on the bike. first off, i bought a edelbrock quicksilver carb, and i want to see how it mounts up. My questions are: can i use the stock cables, and how do i figure out where the tubes all go since it didnt come with any literature?
My last question (for now) is about buying an aftermarket header for the bike. Should I get a hi-flow or an FMF powerbomb? What are the pros and cons of each, and which one is "better"?

Thank you all for your help so far. I have been working like a madman in my spare time to finish this thing soon. If anyone is in or around central Indiana, I'm sure you'll see the bike out soon. Thanks everybody!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
hey! lets see if i can help some,bearings,i got all my rear bearings from napa auto supply,i think the part number is 6303,it fits the cbr rear rim and has a 17mm inside for the xr axle.for the front i had to get a bearing sleeve,i could not locate one to work.i got the sleeves from a bearing company that goes inside the cbr bearing and reduces it down to 17mm.if you need them i can send you enough of them to do a half dozen or so front wheels.i have later model crf forks now that actually take the stock cbr 20mm bearings.the rear sprockets you can get from jtsprockets,sunstar or vortex.they are called cbr 520 convertion sprockets.i used the stock f3 front rotor by flipping it over so it clears the forks then made a relocation bracket.hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
hey,i forgot to mention i have a brand new vortex 41 tooth 520 conversion sprocket i would sell or trade out for parts too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks Kubiak. I actually bought 2 sprockets from vortex yesterday....a 42 and a 46 520 conversion. I got both just to see what i liked on the road better. If you want to trade something for that 41 tooth, just let me know what you want to trade for. Also, what would you want for the bearing sleeve for the front wheel? any trades for parts? I have a stock exhaust (muffler and midpipe), stock headlight/fairing, stock carb with dave's mods....and a few other things if interested.
Any suggestions on a header? High flow or powerbomb? I am not sure which to buy for a little more power.
Any knowledge on the edelbrock quicksilver?
Thanks for your help Kubiak, and let me know about those bearings and things if you want to trade for them......THANKS!!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
i would like to have the stock carb and the headlight assy but i would need to give you more stuff in trade i would think.i can throw in the new rear bearings for the wheel too and maybe a 43 tooth sprocket too?then you would have a great assortment of sprockets! let me know what you think or if you can think of some other good trade stuff.on the header i have the xrsonly oversize header and really like it but when i got it about 7 or 8 years ago i had to really grind and bend it to fit.it fits good now and maybe they have them sorted out by now but who knows.on the high flow fmf they seem to have about the same diameter headpipe but better bends and flow better.i bought one then took it back and got the oversize just because i thought it had the potential to flow more if i do more mods with the huge pipes.i never tried the hiflow when i had it though,it might have run better since my motor is basically stock.but anyway i love the oversize header for sure.let me know on the trade out stuff.i like to make sure when i do trades for parts that the other person gets the better deal!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, I can give the carb and the headlight assembly up. The fairing around the headlight is cracked at the bottom, but it holds the headlight just fine.
If you would like to give me the rear bearings and the 42 sprocket too (along with the other stuff we mentioned earlier), that would work for me.
You can e-mail me if you want to at [email protected] and give me your address or whatever so that I can send you the stuff.

One other thing i want to ask you aout is the underseat exhaust you had on your bike. I got an underseat muffler from a 2007 ZX6R that i was planning on mounting to the bike and connecting it to the hi flow header. My question is this.....how did you go about making a custom "mid-pipe" to connect the header and the muffler. I talked to a local guy that does some mig/tig welding for us at work, and he said that i would have to go to a muffler shop with the bike and have them make a piece of pipe that would fit between the two. Is that what you did, or is there another way of figuring it all out?

Welp, thanks for the help, and i will be looking for an e-mail from you.
:bike:

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
that sounds like a good deal i will get the stuff packaged up for you.on the mid pipe i went to a muffler shop and got pre bent pieces of pipe they throw away in a bin and gave the guy 5 or 10 bucks for a box full of the right size.then mounted the undertain and header then cut and welded the midpipe.not too big of a job at all.i will email you with my address.thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts