SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just purchased an 04 xrL and it sounded like there was an exhaust leak. Brought it to a local shop and was informed that it was not an exhaust leak but more likely a blown head gasket. I removed the head to find that there are two ports running through the cylinder...into the head and lead into the exhaust ports. I imagine they are for the air pump which has been removed and the blocking kit has been installed. The head gasket that was installed does not seal these two ports (holes) and I am wondering if the gasket is the wrong one or if there is something missing to seal these holes.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
673 Posts
Yea someone definately put the wrong cylinder head gasket that one on your bike now is for a xr600! Also those holes you are refering to in your picture are where the dowel pins go to secure the cylinder head to the cylinder.

XR600 Head Gasket

XR650L Head Gasket

the part number for the part you need from honda is 12251-MN9-742 :thumbup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
R U sure

thanks Millertime
Are you sure about them being dowel holes? They are not round and they lead into the exhaust ports at an angle. You can see in the picture that there are two alignment "spacers" where the head bolts go through.

·
Registered
673 Posts
You know now that do say that looking over it again i see the dowel pins in the head. To my best judgement with the pictures and diagrams i can look at without actually seeing the head i would say your orginal assumption was correct and that, thats where the pair control valve would allow more air in for emissions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts