SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all hello everyone this is my first post here and i am fairly new to the world of supermotos. So at the moment i am running a 98 xr 400 Dual sport and loving it but it is a bit low on power and want nothing more than a supermoto... managed to find a wr 400 already converted , which seems in preety good nick. Also the current owner seems to have pulled all the stops and and did not cut any corners for the build. And im also preety exited about the ammont of power te bike pits out. And what attracts even more to the wr is the relatively low maintinance compared to say a crf or a ktm. My only concern is how well would the bike fair wtih street use. Ive read the bike has a week 4th and 5th gear and tend to brake, which from my ignorance can imagine is quite a big deal.

I ride an avrage of 3-5 hours a week only on the street. And I'm not looking for a huge top end either (i live on a small island most of you have never even heard of) so going really fast in a straght line is not really an issue. Crusing speed with my XR is usually 80 to 100 kph unless stuck in trafic XD. Im told by the current owner he managed to get the WR to around 170kph (best i got with the XR was something close to 130) but only for a few seconds as the good roads here are very short.

So here in lies my qusetion. Should i stick with my thrusty XR and convert that to SM, and go for some performance upgrades (pumper carb, exhaust, maybe even a big bore kit), or should i just go for the WR? Money wise buying the yamaha and selling my honda, or just converting my XR should probably be similar (without the power upgrades).

Any help on this issue would be of massive help, this question is keeping me up at night XD.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Try to finagle a test ride, your mind will then be made up. Nothing satisfies the need for more power than MORE POWER. I have a soft spot for the Hondas, XR350 street legal than a XL500, if i still owned either one, probably consider a Yamaha a step up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hahaaaa, I know... the guy already offerd me a test drive, im just glad it did not have any fuel in it when I went to see it, otherwise i might have left him a deposit there and than XD i wanna make up my mind first than use the test drive just to make sure nothing is wrong with the bike..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try to finagle a test ride, your mind will then be made up. Nothing satisfies the need for more power than MORE POWER. I have a soft spot for the Hondas, XR350 street legal than a XL500, if i still owned either one, probably consider a Yamaha a step up.

Hahahhaaaa, i know i know what you mean about the power... the guy already offerd me a test drive, im glad the bike had no fuel in it, otherwise i might have left him a deposit right there and than XD. Im trying to make my mind up first than leave the test drive just to make sure nothing is wrong with it... i just wanna make sure the bike is gonna fair well being driven on the street and not break somting new every time i ride...

·
Registered
52 Posts
The wr is an awesome bike I love mine and I don't doubt the owner got it up to 170kph (105mph) since in my race gearing I got it up to 95mph hitting redline (race gearing for me is 13/49. If you want more power, the wr is the perfect choice in your situation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
544 Posts
The WR should be lighter and more snappy than the aging XR400. If it was enduro longevity I'd go with the XR but for the tight twisty stuff the WR400 would smoke it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts