SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, pretty self explanatory. I don't know how to go about SM wheels for my 83 Honda XL600r. I want a set for dirt only and a set for street only. And I certainly want the street set to be Super Moto. Only looking to spend $500 at the most for the SM set. Including tires and tubes. Any help would be great!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Hate to break it to ya, but just cause the bike is an 83 doesn't mean SM wheels are going to be any cheaper than if you had a brand new bike. The rear wheel's old style cush hub/drum brake is whats going to keep it from under $500.

When I built the wheels for my XL I went the cheapest way possible and still dropped a grand.

If you want both SM and dirt and keep it easy swapping between them, you'll need:

another set of OEM wheel hubs = $100 min
extra front rotor = $25
extra rear sprocket = $40
set of Buchanan HD spokes and nipples = $100 min
excel front rim = $150-200
excel rear rim = $200
HD tubes = $80
set of tires = $200-300

labor:$150 or you could build a truing stand and lace them yourself.

This setup is by far the easiest to build, swap and maintain.

You could build the wheels from GS500, CBR F2, as well as a few other bikes but I'm not sure you WON'T need to machine or modify them to work. The excels with new spokes laced to stock hubs will be the lightest wheel set you can find or build.

FWIW: When I sold my set to another SMJ member I still got $800 for them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm.. Well thanks for being straight with me. Maybe I'll just get another oem set and get street tires. Planning on getting a wr450f eventually. Might go the SM route then. No sense in dumping that much into my old XL. It's seen better days.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Hmmm.. Well thanks for being straight with me. Maybe I'll just get another oem set and get street tires. Planning on getting a wr450f eventually. Might go the SM route then. No sense in dumping that much into my old XL. It's seen better days.
If you want another set of dirt wheels to go BigFoot Supermoto, I have an old set.

Just need to know your zip for shipping costs. I can make you a good deal. I've got a K&L front caliper rebuild kit I never used and some other random wheel/brake/axle parts laying around in the garage.

PM if you're interested

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm at a bit of a stand still on this old bike right now. Not sure how much life she still has. I'll let you know if I decide to get another set. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok it’s been 5 years and I’m thinking again. I’ve decided to go ahead and go for it since I love this bike so much. Will 17x4.25 and 17x3.50 rims actually fit on the xl? Don’t want to order this stuff and be SOL when it doesn’t work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those are the correct rim sizes.
Awesome. Just ordered a rear hub to build them off of (I have a spare front). As soon as I hear back from Buchanan’s, I’ll order the rims. I’ll post some pics for future reference just in case someone else wants to sumo their XL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts