SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, who uses this helmet and what do you think? Second, are there anyother manufacurers that make a similar type helmet?

Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
69 Posts
Shoei makes one called the Hornet, it's about the same price. My boyfriend has one, he's riding a 950SM and there's no visor pull, it vents super good, and the visor is nice when riding into the sun

·
The Mod Squad
2,613 Posts
Shoei makes one called the Hornet, it's about the same price. My boyfriend has one, he's riding a 950SM and there's no visor pull, it vents super good, and the visor is nice when riding into the sun
Both Arai and Shoei make great helmets. But don't forget fit is just as important for protection as well as comfort.

Most people have either an "Arai Head" or a Shoei head". Generally speaking, if one is comfy the other will not be.

Try some on before you buy.

That said, I have an Arai head and 95% of the time wear only Arai. The XD is an awesome helmet. Gives you benefits of both street and dirt features in one helmet. And doing 80 down the freeway the visor is not obnoxious. The best part is the shield when riding in dirt. You don't have to stop and clean your googles. Want a breeze? Just flip up. Dusty? Gettin roosted? Just flip down. I love it.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I just bought an XD at the races in Infineon.. I absolutely love it.. Very light and comfy and to repeat what Pazzo said, on the freeway, the wind does not whip seem to whip my head about anymore than a full-faced street helmet. The XD has to be one of the best helmets in my opinion. Not cheap but neither is neurosurgery.. (trust me...)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Don't forget Simpson

They also make that style of helmet at about half the price. I do not have personal experience with that model, but I'm sure it is a quality product.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Pazzoduc speaks the truth. I have an Arai head and made the mistake of buying a Shoei one time. Dang thing gave me a headache after 15 minutes every time I wore it. Gave it away after a few months and went back to another Arai.

I have the XD-3 and love it. Its typical Arai quality and fit.

That HJC looks nice, but there is not much room between the back of the visor and the top of the helmet to allow the wind to escape without trying to rip your head off your neck. But, that is just from the pictures you posted as I have not seen one in person.

There is another out there called the Airoh S4 (I think). Its Italian made, very good looking, but not imported to the US. You can find them online and have them shipped over though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the Shoei head, and have the Hornet DS. I love this helmet! I was hesitant to throw down that much green for it though, but I'm very glad I did. I've only ever had HJC helmets prior to this one, and the difference in quality from Shoei to HJC is staggering. I'm so glad I dropped the coin on this thing.

Wonderful quality and all the same benefits discussed above with the Arai, I don't notice much wind blast with the visor vs. a standard "road only" helmet. On freeway blasts, I will occasionaly catch a cross wind with the visor that cause it to pull, but I have yet to get that "head is about to be removed" feeling...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replys. I agree as well about the Shoei, Arai head thing. That was my main issue witht he XD 3 helmet because my head is definately a Shoei head and I was unaware they made a similar helmet. But for $220 I might check out the HJC as well. I have used HJC's for roadracing in the past.

Thanks again, Eric

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have the Arai (Actually 2 of the same model - long story) and luv it ... I don't have the typical Arai head but I swapped out the pads and fits perfect .... I have a used Black one in LG/XL (bought new pads) if anyone is interested (cheap) - bought off a 'poser' from this site that said it was in excellent condition and was in good condition when I received it - not bad but I wanted clean/as new .... but liked it so much that I just bought a new one (SuperMoto color - silver/black fade) ...

·
Registered
317 Posts
Is that a new helmet from HJC?

I can't seem to find it anywhere.
When doing some searching on this helmet, I found posts on forums back from 2006 where guy were wanting this to come State side.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Well, I found another one that I like. What you guys think of this one,,,,,,$200.:thumbup:

Now this one screams HOOLIGAN!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Looks good, but never heard of them before. One of the places I refuse to skimp on is my helmet. Just because they are cheap does not mean they are poor quality, like HJC. HJC helmets are inexpensive but also very good quality. But cheap, and never heard of brand, probably not a good combo.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Looks good, but never heard of them before. One of the places I refuse to skimp on is my helmet. Just because they are cheap does not mean they are poor quality, like HJC. HJC helmets are inexpensive but also very good quality. But cheap, and never heard of brand, probably not a good combo.
webbikeworld.com has a review on this helmet, it rated overall quality subpar, but a good attempt. I'll have to look into the others.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Mini-rant

You can skimp on a lot of things, a helmet isnt one of them. I am a firm believer in $100 helmet/$100 head. Some people talk about thinking certain people shouldnt own a bike because they cant even set their own tire pressure, or change their oil. Well I am of the "opinion" that if you cant buy a high quality helmet you shouldnt be riding. /rant

Avoid helmets from questionable sources or with strangely low prices. A helmet should have a current Snell or better yet BSI rating and be made of a fibre/resin composite, avoid polycarbonate helmets(they potentially cause just as many neck injuries as they prevent head injuries)

·
Registered
18 Posts
im going to go with the hornet , i am a shoei head and love my rf1000 for my gsxr . this thread has been very healpfull to confirm what i already thought . Shoei Hornet FTW

1 - 20 of 25 Posts