SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in purchasing an 08 WRX. I found one for sale locally but have a couple of questions. The bike has an FMF silencer and the open airbox mod, but it does not have any type of fueling modification. Coming from a sportbike background (Ducati), it was common practice to install some type of fueling controller (PCIII) after increasing engine air flow or installing an exhaust. Do you have to install a PCIII after installing a silcencer on this type of bike? Should I look for another bike?

·
Registered
202 Posts
depends if the bike is beat how many miles? when were the mods done? are they done correctly? but by rights you should have some type of fuel programmer to compensate for the changes in air flow and exhaust gasses. etc. just like rejetting a carb for a slip on and header. if not it could run too lean, but some ppl have the fmf pipe and no fuel programmer pcv fmf etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bike has 5600 miles on it. I believe the mods were done a couple of thousand miles ago. The bike doesn't appear to be beat on.

·
Registered
202 Posts
only thing about the 08's are the fuel pump issues but you may never even have a problem.

other than that the bike has very high maintenance intervals 26k valve check, 2-3k oil changes, chain lube after washing, swing arm linkage greased, etc. very rider friendly and a blast to rip around town and tight streets!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I'm interested in purchasing an 08 WRX. I found one for sale locally but have a couple of questions. The bike has an FMF silencer and the open airbox mod, but it does not have any type of fueling modification. Coming from a sportbike background (Ducati), it was common practice to install some type of fueling controller (PCIII) after increasing engine air flow or installing an exhaust. Do you have to install a PCIII after installing a silcencer on this type of bike? Should I look for another bike?
Do you HAVE to have an efi programmer? No.
SHOULD you have one? I think most would say yes given the mods that bike has.

I've been a member of this forum, ADVrider, Thumpertalk, and a WR250r/x specific forum now for a few years. Never once seen a post about anybody losing a motor due to overly lean conditions because they don't have an efi programmer.

The programmer would certainly help smooth out the throttle response, and probably help with some additional power gains (although nothing remarkable) at various rev levels.

I would say that if you feel the bike has been cared for reasonably well you're not in danger of buying something that will have issues just because there's been no efi programmer installed on it.

If it's a major concern use it as a bargaining chip to see if you can knock a few hundred off the asking price, then go buy an FmF or PC programmer and install it yourself.

I would not let the absence of a programmer stop me from buying the X if everything else seems in order, and the asking price is reasonable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts