SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the motard sport and need help in deciding what bike to buy. I just want a 450, 03 model or newer, either WR or CRFX to terririse the streets with. Prolly will never go to the track but maybe. I have always been a yamaha man in motocross but dont know what to get for the street. If any has experienced both please give me some advice.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
come on guys, i know someone has to has so info for me.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I think the wr is a good street tard with the wide ratio gearing that will help at speeds and still gives you the feeling of a yz frame. I have owned a CR450 and would not want to make a supermoto for street without changing the sprocket size at least because of the gearing its meant for supercross but saying that the bike is sick and has tones of power. I dont really know much about the CRX like if it has e start or not and if they changed the gearring sorry. Let us know what u decide.

·
Registered
84 Posts
i would go with the yamaha the top ends are more bulletproof even if the crfx doesn't have the same valves as the crf. i believe the valve opening and closing is more violent on the honda. the new klx 450 might be pretty sweet to

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'd second finding a good used KTM 450SM or something similar. You will be money ahead with great factory wheels and brakes, and have a machine that is very easy to convert to a street legal bike. I've even heard the e start kit for these is reasonably priced.

Good luck!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the info so far. I have always been a yamaha man when it comes to motocross bikes. Im on my 3rd YZ250F and know that the whole bike is more bullet proof than the CRF because of friends of mine that ride CRFs and have had numerous head problems. I have had no problems with any of my YZ250Fs. I think I am going to buy the WR.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Here is my evaluation:

My brother & I bought brand new bikes back in 2003, he got the CRF450 (the MX model, without electric start) and I got the WR450. We both motarded our bikes for the street, and rode dirt as well. His CRF was very fast from 0-70mph with the mx close ratio transmission, but he was always having valve train problems-hard starting, excessive use of oil, etc. His engine detinated in 2005, and has been in a "box" ever since. He could easily do roll-on power wheelies in 5th gear, but he always complained that he could not find the right gearing for street use.

I just sold my '03 WR450, and had accumulated over 10,000 trouble free miles with only (1) valve adjustment. I purchased a 2007 WR, and got a set of WARP9 SM 17" wheels, brake rotors, sprocket, carrier and everything for $850, tires for $200, and coverted it to street legal for another $75 in parts.

I really like the wide ratio transmission on the WR's, because you can get a nice highway cruising speed, yet still get easy take off's because of the low first gear.

KTM's are great bikes, but the best price I could find on a 450EXC or 530 was still $1,500 more than the WR. So I saved the $ for SM wheels, tires, etc.

Let me know if you have any further questions, hope this helped in your decision.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for that post ZX. That's the kind of info that is very helpful to give real world comparisons. Any photos of your old or new bike? How would you rate the power/acceleration against your brother's CRF?

·
Registered
68 Posts
In regards to power/acceleration, the CRF was always quicker up to 70mph, but then I could catch and pass him. My top speed is about 105mph, and the CRF was around 90. The CRF was also lighter weight than my 2003WR.

But in the end, it all comes down to sprocket gearing and rider. 1st and 2nd gear are pretty useless on the street. 3rd and 4th gears are good for wheelies. If you want to ride street, you want a bike that will cruise at 65mph with lower revs.

My new 2007WR feels lighter than my 2003WR was, because it weighs about ten pounds less, and carries the weight lower, and smaller tank size. My 2007WR dyno'd at 42hp with just free mods, stock exhaust, and JD Jet Kit.

Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure:

2007WR

2003WR:

Dual Sport trip to Deals Gap:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In regards to power/acceleration, the CRF was always quicker up to 70mph, but then I could catch and pass him. My top speed is about 105mph, and the CRF was around 90. The CRF was also lighter weight than my 2003WR.

But in the end, it all comes down to sprocket gearing and rider. 1st and 2nd gear are pretty useless on the street. 3rd and 4th gears are good for wheelies. If you want to ride street, you want a bike that will cruise at 65mph with lower revs.

My new 2007WR feels lighter than my 2003WR was, because it weighs about ten pounds less, and carries the weight lower, and smaller tank size. My 2007WR dyno'd at 42hp with just free mods, stock exhaust, and JD Jet Kit.
do you like the 07 as much or more than your 03

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for the comparison. I'm not nearly as interested in the last few miles on the top end as I am the midrange. Like you said, weight and gearing are king.

·
Registered
859 Posts
i would go with the yamaha the top ends are more bulletproof even if the crfx doesn't have the same valves as the crf. i believe the valve opening and closing is more violent on the honda. the new klx 450 might be pretty sweet to

different cam too. the intake valves are smaller, and the power curve is much more rideable. (honda actually make the R versions intake valves a hint smaller than their original 450R ones since the hit was too abrupt).

easy to change to SS intake valves and all the "problems" with the valves are gone. i'm still on the stock valves, and i'm 2 years in with the stock valves. i do quite a bit of trail riding too. i guess we'll see how it holds up to street use soon, lol

the X model has a wide ratio transmission. mine's not on the road yet, but a buddy of mine has the exact same setup, but with a 14/45 sprocket combo and said he can cruise at 70, just not go on the interstate for long distances or anything. i just put my 14/39 combo on and haven't taken it for a spin yet to see what cruising speed will be.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts