SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is better for a supermoto conversion? Which would be more maintenence like oil changes and filters and such. I know both are electric start and have wide ratio transmissions which is why I prefer them over stock mx bikes. I heard that the crf450x clutch goes bad. What has better street suspension and power/weight. I like the red on the Honda but I can't stand the awful headlight. Which would be easier to set up electronics like a trail tech vapor. Would either need an upgraded stator? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
What is better for a supermoto conversion? Which would be more maintenence like oil changes and filters and such. I know both are electric start and have wide ratio transmissions which is why I prefer them over stock mx bikes. I heard that the crf450x clutch goes bad. What has better street suspension and power/weight. I like the red on the Honda but I can't stand the awful headlight. Which would be easier to set up electronics like a trail tech vapor. Would either need an upgraded stator? Any help would be appreciated.
They're relatively close. The 06-current WR450 comes with a nice speedometer assembly, but both the 450x and/or the WR would benefit from a stator upgrade. The WR stator mod would be less then $100.

Once again, depending on year of the WR some of them have soft suspension (07-11). Ideally a fuel injected WR450 comes ready to go suspension and stator wise right out of the box.

The 450x is pretty much the same bike from 05-current. I'd say the power between the two is going to be relatively similar depending on mods.

·
Registered
41 Posts
They're relatively close. The 06-current WR450 comes with a nice speedometer assembly, but both the 450x and/or the WR would benefit from a stator upgrade. The WR stator mod would be less then $100.

Once again, depending on year of the WR some of them have soft suspension (07-11). Ideally a fuel injected WR450 comes ready to go suspension and stator wise right out of the box.

The 450x is pretty much the same bike from 05-current. I'd say the power between the two is going to be relatively similar depending on mods.
Doesn't the WR have a wider ratio gear box and less service intervals? Isn't the CRF450X the same as the 450R but with lights?

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
Doesn't the WR have a wider ratio gear box and less service intervals? Isn't the CRF450X the same as the 450R but with lights?
The 450x has a wide ratio transmission as well. The service intervals should be relatively comparable. A few guys in my area have 450x's...One is down for valve issues, but another one is a daily commuter with thousands of miles logged. A couple of guys that I work with have 450x's and they have also had pretty good luck with them.

I still prefer the WR, but I'm sure the Honda guys will swear by the 450x. The Honda would be second on my list since they need more to get them on the road and they don't have the tried and true 5 valve head.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Pretty much what crash said - but it does depend on where you are as these bikes are sold in different forms in different markets (with / without lights etc.)

If you are looking at '08 - '11 models for example, I'd say they are both pretty similar. The CRFs don't really have any valve issues after they've had SS ones put in. There are possibly more of the CRFs around. They have split gearbox and engine oil, they are based off the '05 gen 'R' bike but few things will swap. The WR engine has a very good rep, and there seem to be lots around as well.

If you want a newer bike (12+), then it would be hard to beat the Yamaha. They are they only Japanese maker who have released any innovation for a long time in the Enduro category. The '12 and newer WRs have gotten great reviews, small and light chassis, great engine now with FI, lots of aftermarket stuff, sold in some markets (Aus / UK) in street legal form. Whereas the Honda hasn't changed since its introduction in 2005 if I remember correctly?

That said, go for the best deal in the best condition etc. IMO.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've got an '04 wr450f and it's my commuter and my just for fun tease the cops a bit bike. Unhook TPS and your good to go!!!!!!! I love mine, tuff bike and reliable like no other

·
Registered
23 Posts
Let me ask a question about WR models. I like the Hondas but I have seen some cool Wr's in my recent searches. How about a 2003 vintage? Any issues with early models. Thx

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have 05 crf 450r whit some 400+ hours on on the original cylinder and piston
As long you keep your oil changes and look after it it would last for long time
Am planing to rebuild this coming winter

·
Registered
375 Posts
Let me ask a question about WR models. I like the Hondas but I have seen some cool Wr's in my recent searches. How about a 2003 vintage? Any issues with early models. Thx
The 03 WR450 model had some crank key issues that were addressed with blue loctite. I would just buy the 04 model if I was looking for an older model WR.

·
Registered
23 Posts
WR's

Thanks guys. I saw an converted 450 WR in St Louis that looked pretty clean, but it was an 03. As the season winds down, there will be various things that come on the market. What year did the aluminum frame start? I would not mind a winter project, and convert something myself. I will just have to be patient.:D

·
Registered
375 Posts
Thanks guys. I saw an converted 450 WR in St Louis that looked pretty clean, but it was an 03. As the season winds down, there will be various things that come on the market. What year did the aluminum frame start? I would not mind a winter project, and convert something myself. I will just have to be patient.:D
07-11 great years IMO and what I use for dirt and supermoto.

·
Registered
40 Posts
bought my 05 wr450 with over 800 hours trail riding. rode it hard for almost 2 years motarded without checking valves (yeah i know it's dumb) till earlier this year. still perfectly in stock spec. honestly the suspension for motard on the 05 wr sucks ass on the street (maybe not if you weigh 150 lbs). the newer wr's have better suspension i hear. i had new springs and valves done it handles so much better now. i really dont know much about the hondas. i change oil about once a month while riding it a few hours a week and one track day a month.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts