SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I'm new here and I need some advise. First of all I live in Costa Rica, tropical weather and lot of off roads and tracks.
Recently I started seeing motorcycles on the internet, there is a plenty of motorcycles here. BMW caught my attention with the BMW 700gs, but I think that its much expensive and to be honest I prefer a taller and lightest bike.

I want something with a lot of power so I am aiming to 450. And here comes the problem, I want reliability and power.
The purpose of the bike will be to take me to work everyday (12kms in total).
Lets say that some days (rare) I may hit some highways here (80-120km/h) but no more than that.

Then I am thinking taking that same bike on weekends into some good trails (enduro).

Now, I looking for something from 2009 or older. The CRF450X and the WR450F with a couple set of tyres caught my attention but...
So far with my research I found this:

CRF450= not sure which years but there are problems with the valves.
WR450 03': Crank key problem. / 07'-11'= better suspension. / Not so good when cruising on 5th.

Now, what are the oil intervals for these bikes and how often do I have to open the engine to check it?

Im also thinking of just buy an XR400, but I feel that is not enough power for me and I feel that weighs a lot.

Thanks,

Rob.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm new here and I need some advise. First of all I live in Costa Rica, tropical weather and lot of off roads and tracks.
Recently I started seeing motorcycles on the internet, there is a plenty of motorcycles here. BMW caught my attention with the BMW 700gs, but I think that its much expensive and to be honest I prefer a taller and lightest bike.

I want something with a lot of power so I am aiming to 450. And here comes the problem, I want reliability and power.
The purpose of the bike will be to take me to work everyday (12kms in total).
Lets say that some days (rare) I may hit some highways here (80-120km/h) but no more than that.

Then I am thinking taking that same bike on weekends into some good trails (enduro).

Now, I looking for something from 2009 or older. The CRF450X and the WR450F with a couple set of tyres caught my attention but...
So far with my research I found this:

CRF450= not sure which years but there are problems with the valves.
WR450 03': Crank key problem. / 07'-11'= better suspension. / Not so good when cruising on 5th.

Now, what are the oil intervals for these bikes and how often do I have to open the engine to check it?

Im also thinking of just buy an XR400, but I feel that is not enough power for me and I feel that weighs a lot.

Thanks,

Rob.

Lots of reading on the subject on here if you do a search... the WR of that era has 5 valves per cylinder compared to the CRF's 4 - the Yamaha's valves will stay in spec longer than those on the CRF.
For the CRF you might think about a new piston around 100 hours of street use - thats the replacement interval on my old plated '04 450R supermoto and I remember that the X wasn't too off of that kind of a timeline. The manual suggested that I do my piston at 24 hours. The WR has longer intervals that you can read about if you search as I don't recall them.

the honda xr400 is basically about the same as the drz 400 supermoto except you have to convert it and that conversion costs $$$$. DRZs are very reliable and make OK but not lots of power but there is a huge aftermarket for them and lots of parts available. You have to move up to the 650cc range to get the power and reliability, as any 450cc engine that make 650 cc power is in a very high state of tune and thus need a lot of maintenance as they're so high strung.

Some other bikes to look at might be a Husky 610 or XR650R if you want a bit more reliability and aren't doing tight technical single track trails off road. older KTMs with the LC4 engines are also pretty reliable.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.