SuperMoto Junkie banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Not to mention theres quite a few Moto vloggers on YouTube who ride their late model wr's all over their state on long rides and riding and doing wheelies for miles on the highway on a regular basis with not much ever going wrong with the bike.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't know a whole lot about mechanic stuff, but I do work on Porsche's for a living...

here is my two cents...

EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE MAINTAINED.

If any of you actually ride your bike, and do 45 hour intervals on oil changes (wtf) im not surprised there are any failures.

If im just commuting, I go off of miles. 1k-1500. tops.

if im doing some hard off road riding, its every other ride or every ride, depending.

will change it after every asphalt track event

its a quart of oil and a filter, and there is no such thing as changing your oil TOO often, only too little.

That being said, yes there will always be those few bikes that have issues. This is also basic mechanics, everything fails. eventually.

I bought a WR because they are one of the best bikes out there. reliable, powerful and a blast to ride.

I have no ragrets, and don't think I will.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
18 mpg? Is that normal?
to answer a 5+ year old question...
yes. For a CR500, 17-19mpg is about right. The 4 strokes get much better MPG.

as for the actual topic.... if you maintain everything on time and do everything.... sure. it lasts almost forever.
Just realize that occasionally you will have to deal with odd things like bearings, or drivetrain wear (you should see additional gear lash before any gearbox failures, if you're checking)
every bike is a little different on how it ages... when you're talking about "extreme aging" like high miles on a dirt bike.

I've gone 250k without a rebuild and only one valve adjustment on one bike... and ive gone 70k and stripped the teeth off the crank of another. You can never tell.

·
Registered
94 Posts
wr450f

i don't see why you could not have a wr450f for a daily rider i have a 2008 i bought brand new and the day i bought it and got it home the 1 day i had it in 3 days later i had it convereted into supermoto i have driven it daily to work , back home my work is 8 miles there and 8 miles back i have NEVER HAD A PROBLEM AT ALL WITH MINE in 11 years i drive mine daily i say go for i did and i love mine

i change oil every 1,000 miles and i have checked valves 2 in 11 years they dont move

the motor in the wr450f is instructable my motor wont quiet my bike has been everywhere in alot of states

i have only a very mods to mine in all that time i have had mine her is what i have to mine im mods

acerbis 6.6 gallon gas tank
seat concepts seat
taillight
reuseable oil filter
speedometer/tachometer
dot tires
lisence plate holder

i dont see why anybody would put it down it is a very great bike it has never let me down

41 - 44 of 44 Posts