SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have the opportunity to get a 2005 WR450F and im wondering what you guys think of using this bike as a commuter. I will be buyer the bike standard then motoing it. My commute is a 40 mile round trip. I also plan to use the bike all year round come rain or shine.

Do these bikes start easily from cold?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Hi all,

I have the opportunity to get a 2005 WR450F and im wondering what you guys think of using this bike as a commuter. I will be buyer the bike standard then motoing it. My commute is a 40 mile round trip. I also plan to use the bike all year round come rain or shine.

Do these bikes start easily from cold?
IMHO...keep the oil changed ALOT,, keep the valves in spec at all times, change the piston once a year and you would prob. be good for a long time... :clap::thumbup: guess it depends on if its all highway or back roads....
i had a cr500 tard and i didnt have a problem doing 40+ miles on it when i went out on it (only got 75 to the IMS 4 gallon tank)

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
18 mpg? Is that normal?
hell no.. im running 05 yz and i fill at 1.5 gal 75-80mi on average 50ish give or take a few pending how much your ripping it up. the wr should be just as decent.

as car as a commuter its no cruiser but it will do it i your up to it. about 1g oil changes id say the 5 vavle head is fantastic for valve adjustments most hardly EVER have to re adjust after thousands of miles.... 6k+ easily check out the adventure rider forums on em they will last. and if you really feel the need sure change the piston but i wouldnt bother unless the compression drops so every couple thousand do a comp check. its a very mainteneance friendly tard as far as that goes youll still feel like your working on it a bit but its all quick 20 min max stuff unless you broke something.

for starting in the cold no issues on my kick start only YZ so electric on the wr should be even easier BUT that is all pending a correct carb adjustment and valves in spec i know some get comfortable with the electric start so you wouldnt really notice as quickly when the valves start getting out of spec. but like i said most never need the valve adjustment when they check.

z

·
Registered
913 Posts
you can make anything work
There is a reason you dont see many wind shields and saddlebags sold for the WR450.
Just like you dont see many suspension kits and aftermarket exhaust sold for GoldWings
Out of all the bikes you could try to make into something it isnt, the WR is probably the best choice

·
Registered
649 Posts
So your "40 mile commute"...is that backroads, highway, stop and go in town?
If it's mostly backroads with a little highway or in town riding riding, I'd say it would be pretty decent, other than the nasty maintenance schedule and having to replace parts fairly regularly.
If it's mostly highway, I say forget it...that bike was not designed to cruise at highspeed for long periods of time.
If there is a lot of stop and go in town riding, you will need to figure out some sort of radiator fan or get used to it burping fluid at those long stop lights during the summer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I love my 05 WR450F, but I would not want to commute on it every day. Mine can be a bit cold natured during the winter and fall and their is NO reserve in the battery! It dies fast if you keep cranking on it. I keep mine on a battery tender.

If I ride the slow technical trails, it dies burp. A fan would be in order!

Saying all that, if I could title mine in my state, it would be done allready! i am a big guy at 270lbs and this thing will wheely at will.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
i blew up a wr400 commuting, cracked the piston in half. for the cost of the maintenance you would need to do you'd be better off buying a beater ujm imho. for my commute machines i just got 6 year old 1000cc sportbike beaters and put mx bars on em.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
The maintence on the WR will take all the fun and money out of commuting on it. Commuter bike=DRZ400. I have both bikes and can assure you that the WR is not daily riding material when compared to a DRZ. Now if you start comparing fun at the track, hooligan riding, or any offroad excursions....Well the WR is the correct choice :thumbup:

·
Registered
804 Posts
or get yourself a 690 smc....actually you can buy a used car for what the 690 goes for new.. :rolleyes2:

·
Registered
649 Posts
or get yourself a 690 smc....actually you can buy a used car for what the 690 goes for new.. :rolleyes2:
You could buy a DRZ AND a decent used car for the price of a new SMC, and still have money left over for cocaine and hookers ;)

·
Registered
804 Posts
You could buy a DRZ AND a decent used car for the price of a new SMC, and still have money left over for cocaine and hookers ;)
and if your carefull how you spend maybe some strippers... :laughingr

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for all the replies, looks like its a miss for the WR then. A bloke i work with has a DRZ so ill ask if i can try it out :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
WR450 motard as a Commuter

ive got an '03 WR450 Tard that i use for a daily driver. I've ridden motorycycles as commuters for the last 10 years, and this is the most fun i've had ever! the least comfortable, but who cares... i'll be comfortable when im dead.

·
Registered
142 Posts
wow a lot of haters out there. 20 mile commute each way guys? are you serious about this thing not staying together? don't listen to these guys...wr/yz is WAY rock solid and requires little more than oil changes/air filters. I've had mine for almost a year now, daily commuting and oil changes like every 1500 miles (oil still golden, btw) and both times i checked the valves they hadn't budged. Maintenance stuff gets SO blown out of proportion its stupid. The drz is a great bike, no question, but i'll deal with oil changes twice as often for roughly 20 more hp and 50 lbs less weight.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Interesting...I may be trading my CBR on a WR here shortly and was thinking about selling the DRZ too, but it looks like I may want to keep it around and just run ythe WR on hooligan days or weekends. The 1500 mile oil changes sound nice versus the 4000 oil changes that take an hour and a half getting all those nasty CBR plastics off!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gear box issues

wow a lot of haters out there. 20 mile commute each way guys? are you serious about this thing not staying together? don't listen to these guys...wr/yz is WAY rock solid and requires little more than oil changes/air filters. I've had mine for almost a year now, daily commuting and oil changes like every 1500 miles (oil still golden, btw) and both times i checked the valves they hadn't budged. Maintenance stuff gets SO blown out of proportion its stupid. The drz is a great bike, no question, but i'll deal with oil changes twice as often for roughly 20 more hp and 50 lbs less weight.
I have done a lot of research about this, and nobody has touched base on the gearbox issues. This bike is designed to be ridden off-road. The gearbox is designed to be lightweight. There is no slippage on the road and it takes quite a toll on the gearbox. Everything that's have read and heard has deterred me from getting a wr450f as I intended on using if for road use. I am just taking advice from the many many ppl that I have heard have all sorts of recurring gearbox failures.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts