SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm coming off of a wr250x(just not enough for my liking) and looking to get a 450 supermoto.
Ive heard bad things about the klx's...?
Love the monster theme look for the kawasakis but everything else bout the yamaha.
(really not interested in KTM Husv or aprila though) and need to have a electric start so Im trying to decide between a klx450 or a wr450 both would be about an 07 or 08.
anyone have any strong opinions?

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
i worked at a bike shop for a few tears and to me, kawis just dont seem to hold up well or be that fast. never ridden a KLX450. but ive ridden plenty of 600cc/1000cc kawi sportbikes and other dirtbikes and fourwheelers back to back with compareable models of other brands. im sure that theres kawi guys out there that will tell me im full of crap, but im a yamaha guy.

i can tell you this, dont buy a bike becayse of the "theme"

buy whichever you think will be more reliable, faster, cheaper to fix and easier to find parts. i havent done a survey, but it seems more people sumo WR's than KLX's. just look how many post are in the yamaha section vs. the kawi section. yamaha is a better bike.

i have a friend that has a honda trx450 that he powdercoated the frame kawi green and put black plastics with monster graphics. all the noobs think its a kfx.
you can always make it LOOK the way you want it to. but itll always be what it is.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I own a 99 yz400f and an 06 yf450f, both dirtbikes but, I love them both. Never had an issue with either and would recommend a Yamaha to anyone. Don't know much about the kaw's but I love my bikes. :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well its not just buyin it cus of the "theme" Ive had about 10 kawis (couple kxf's too) and they were all decent (cept the 2 stroke 125's) but I like both (yam just a tiny bit more than kawi)
So Im just trying to find out how they fare against eachother. If theyre on equal par Ill go for the kawi because I could prob do more powdercoating on it to bring out its potential :)

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I own a street legal 09 KLX SM and it's an awesome bike! Kawi got it right when they built the enduro version of the KX. The economy killed the run of the KLX,it's not sent to US now. It is available in Europe. The bike shares Alot of parts with the KX,which makes parts readily available. If you find a street legal version,don't hesitate to buy one!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I love my KLX450R. The valves are still in spec after 5,000 odd miles of offroad use as a full-time dualsport. It's been ridden on everything from singletrack to pavement to anything in between; never one single problem, ever. More people run the WR because they've been around forever. They only made the KLX450R in '08 and '09.

Same bike. It serves as my supermoto and gets babied a little more now. :thumbup:

·
Registered
133 Posts
The WR no doubt is the more popular of the two. I have owned 2 Yamaha dirt bikes in the past, and currently own one. Also a 2006 Yamaha R6. No problems with any of them....ever. Only Kawi experience I have in a 2003 ZX6R, and I loved that bike, she was also very reliable. I was trying to find a KLX450 just so I can be different then the majority but ended up buying a Honda because the KLX is a hard bike to find used haha. I do love Kawis, but I have recommend the Yamaha on this one.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yanni

What size tires are u runnin? And what are they? Sorry for the thread jack

Chris
The tires in the pic are Shinko 705's in 120/90 and 150/70 on a 3.5 and 5'' wheel respectively. These tires are not on the bike now...I'm currently running ContiForce SM's in 120/70 and 150/60.

·
Registered
26 Posts
im in the same boat right now, am looking for a street titled bike and there just arent any wr's close to me that have been titled. have 2 08 klx450r that i am looking at just wondering if the klx is in the same class as the wr. last kawi enduro i owned was a klr 650 cool bike and was tough as nails

·
Registered
75 Posts
im in the same boat right now, am looking for a street titled bike and there just arent any wr's close to me that have been titled. have 2 08 klx450r that i am looking at just wondering if the klx is in the same class as the wr. last kawi enduro i owned was a klr 650 cool bike and was tough as nails
The KLX450R is a direct competitor to the WR and I prefer it more. That's why I bought one. The bike corners better and they have the same power. Maintenance is identical.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Really the only difference will be the larger aftermarket for the WR...and thats probably not a whole lot more.

I bought my Yamaha on two motorcycle mechanic friends recommendations.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Any downside to the KLX aftermarket is almost negligible because the majority of KX-F parts bolt right up. HUGE aftermarket of KX450F out there. Plastics, tanks, bars, suspension, chains/sliders, brakes, wheels, exhaust/headers; even the KX-F engine components.

All the KX-F stuff I listed minus suspension and motor is on my bike as a direct bolt-on. My next mod will be the KX450F head and cams which bolt right in with no mods and give pure wheelie pleasure. I will try the head/cams before the big-bore kit to see where she stands.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
My street legal KLX 450R is for sale. I can't link with my iPhone,but it's in the Bikes section.

·
Registered
26 Posts
picked up a 08 klx450, got both wheel sets for it and its already street titled here in MN:bannana: This thing is a huge step up from my old drz and I am glad I got back on another moto over the rockets there is no comparison.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Good b/c WR's are fucking gay.

·
Registered
26 Posts
coming from the guy with a WR:D are you having problems with your WR or just being sarcastic? I was looking for either or it just happened that i found a well set up klx for an awesome price locally if i would have went with a WR i would have had to travel 200+ miles for a decent street titled one and would have paid more thats without the moto wheels

1 - 19 of 19 Posts