SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking at buying a wr450 but the guy only has the MSO and it says NOTICE: this vehicle was not manufactured for use on public streets, roads or highways. such use is prohibited by law" is this the same as titles saying "offroad use only" if not how hard would it be for me to get it street legal with just the MSO any help is appreciated thanks!

·
Registered
75 Posts
What state are you in? I can speak for my state of NC on this one. That deal wouldn't fly for 2 reasons:

1. It's just an MSO. The original owner has to have it titled. An MSO will not suffice. Buy a bike with an MSO here that has ''good'' language on it and you're still screwed because it's not a title. The 1st owner is the only cat who can title/tag it.

2. The language on that MSO will carry over to a title, which will not allow you to tag the bike.

Bottom line: Get that lingo off of there at all costs and make sure the original owner titles/tags it as such. Hint: No lingo is ''good'' lingo.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
There are always ways and loop holes if you are determined enough.

I had a 2003 Wr450f in the State of New York and believe me there sticklers when it comes to this sort of thing. I only had an MSO which said for off road use only.

What I ended up doing was going to the local custom motorcycle shop because they were a licensed manufacturer. Paid a bit of money for some paper work and my bike became a custom bike. They gave me an entirely new vin number. Walked in the DMV and registered it the next day hassle free.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are always ways and loop holes if you are determined enough.

I had a 2003 Wr450f in the State of New York and believe me there sticklers when it comes to this sort of thing. I only had an MSO which said for off road use only.

What I ended up doing was going to the local custom motorcycle shop because they were a licensed manufacturer. Paid a bit of money for some paper work and my bike became a custom bike. They gave me an entirely new vin number. Walked in the DMV and registered it the next day hassle free.
thats awesome!... and im in Indiana ive never dealt with an MSO before at all but have dealt with a certificate of origin, i was going back and forth on whether i wanted to go through all the hassle to get the bike but its a good deal, its an 07 wr450 for $2500

·
Registered
19 Posts
hey kx619, im trying to do the same thing with my 05 wr450 in nc, do you know much about what the shop had to do to get the title stuff sorted out?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts