SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to get some supermoto wheels for my 05 wr450.Should i just get a 4.25" rear or will a 5" fit without to much hassle.I plan on just using it for the street no racing in my plans(so far:hmmm:) I can get a pretty good deal on some rad wheels,but really like the look of the marchesini wheels.

Hoping to order something tomorrow.

Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have a five inch rear on the back of my 06. It fits, but is a pain to get on and off. You will have to remove the brake assembly and the lower chain guide to fit it in easily. With a 160/60R17 michelin pilot power race tire installed I have about 0 clearance on the chain side, and about half a mm on the other side. Even with these clearance issues I still wouldn't go any other way. I suppose you could try a 150 series tire too. I ride street only too.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I have a five inch rear on the back of my 06. It fits, but is a pain to get on and off. You will have to remove the brake assembly and the lower chain guide to fit it in easily.
if the WR swing arm is same/super close to the YZ you dont have to take the chain slider/gaurd thing off. pull the wheel assembly out/put it in from the top and it drops in....I cant get mine in if I slide it in straight but at a slight angle and from the top it goes in fine...the brake assembly can stay together but you have to slide it off the swingarm(twords the back of the bike)...and it goes on first(before the chain) after the wheels into the arm, when you go back together

I have a 5" on a 450 YZ (03) with a 160
I normally run Metzler race tech drift but had an old set of dunlops to burn through...the dunlop was marked 165mm and was actually more narrow (read-more swingarm/chain clearance) than the 160mm Metzler

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if the WR swing arm is same/super close to the YZ you dont have to take the chain slider/gaurd thing off. pull the wheel assembly out/put it in from the top and it drops in....I cant get mine in if I slide it in straight but at a slight angle and from the top it goes in fine...the brake assembly can stay together but you have to slide it off the swingarm(twords the back of the bike)...and it goes on first(before the chain) after the wheels into the arm, when you go back together

I have a 5" on a 450 YZ (03) with a 160
I normally run Metzler race tech drift but had an old set of dunlops to burn through...the dunlop was marked 165mm and was actually more narrow (read-more swingarm/chain clearance) than the 160mm Metzler
Pretty sure they share the same swingarm.I'm not worryied about pulling of the brake and chain slider.It will stay in supermoto trim until the weather gets cooler or gas gets cheap enough to drive out to ride dirt.:laughingr

What wheels are you guys runing?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts