SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys im getting ready to buy a WR450 I need some help. Im buying this mainly as a street/daily rider and i want to have some fun while doing it. It will be on the interstate every so often but mainly on simple 2 lane highways. I need to know what are the cheapest best wheels i can buy for this, and what is a good street tire to be using? My final question is gearing recommedation? I still want the bike to be fun to rip on the street but i dont want it to be horribly slow. So for all you people who have converted your bikes, what kind of tire/wheel combos i can purchase. Im really looking for the cheapest tire/wheel combo i can use.

·
Registered
438 Posts
You could just leave the stock rims and gears. Change to some dual purpose tires and see what direction you want to go with it . There are alot of options for wheels.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could just leave the stock rims and gears. Change to some dual purpose tires and see what direction you want to go with it . There are alot of options for wheels.
I thought about this, but I really want to keep a completley dirt setup, and a complete on road setup. So whats some cheap supermoto wheels and what are the most common/popular tire sizes? If i kept a street only setup should i just run the stock gearing?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Cheapest is probably search around for stock hubs then lace either some excels hoops or an off brand I think there are a couple, excels are pretty common and I think are a standard in the market. Then whatever brake setup you have you either swap or buy two rotors. Tire size is going to depend on whatever rim size you end up with.I would keep stock gearing and see how it goes at first then go from there.

·
Registered
819 Posts
warp 9 wheelsets come with a front/rear rotors and a relocation bracket
continental sm tires are a great value

do all the free mods

as for gearing, i run a 15-44 and at 60 i'm turning 6k rpms

·
Registered
68 Posts
warp 9 wheelsets come with a front/rear rotors and a relocation bracket
continental sm tires are a great value

do all the free mods

as for gearing, i run a 15-44 and at 60 i'm turning 6k rpms
Exactly what he said:

I am running Warp9's Conti SM tires, 13/47 gearing and commute to work 35 miles per day.

Here is a quick video of my bike, I had dyno'd and it made 42hp with stock pipe and free mods:

·
Registered
186 Posts
whatever you do, put some sm rims and tires on the damn thing. I watched a buddy dump his wr at about 55 mph on friday thanks to the lack of traction knobbies offer... sure makes me appreciate my pilot powers on the 560 :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Lots of tire choices. Nice but not necessary to have SM specific tires. Any sport tire should do nicely. Remember to experiment with different tire pressures in the 22-28psi range. Different tires work better using different pressures on different bikes.

SPORT TIRES
Avon Viper or Distanzia Radials or ProXtreme Rain
Bridgestone BT002/BT014/BT015/BT016
Continental Sport Attack, Race Attack or Conti-SM
Dunlop Qualifier
Metzeler M3 Sportec or Racetec
Michelin Pilot Power or PP2CT
Pirelli MT60R Corsa Rain, Diablo, Rosso or Corsa III

SPORT-TOURING TIRES (If you commute and want extended tire life)
Avon Storm ST
Bridgestone BT021
Continental Road Attack
Dunlop Roadsmart
Metzeler Z6 Roadtec
Michelin Pilot Road or Road 2
Pirelli Diablo Strada

A number of our Husaberg friends rock the stock Michelin Pilot Powers on their supermoto bikes on the street and track.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I run 16-45 gearing on my 2006 WR. It can go pretty much as fast as you want, and 1st gear is still low enough to launch normally. It's pretty tall for off roading though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts