SuperMoto Junkie banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
could you just go to the junk yard and chop off a turnsignal/horn/hi-low beam control switch off a bike and wire it up to a wr450 for this stuff??i think itd be much cheaper

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think you need to look at the larger bore Sumo's for Street-tarding duties.....

XR650, DR650, KTM 625SMC/690 SMC

or maybe the WR250x, or DRZ400SM....

The WR's are on the edge of being race machines....sure they can be run on the road and be street legal --- but not a daily driver. (not to be confused with the WR250X which was designed to be a street machine)

Don't get me wrong..... I own a WR426, but I'd never consider taking it on a ride with sportbikes. (unless, of course I lived in the smokey mountains or right near some canyons like in Salt Lake City, Utah) Now, with my KTM 625 SMC --- if I know the riders.....maybe. But, I'd still consider trailering the bike to the twisties and meeting them 'at the trail head'.

The pic below.....is me on my friends WR450 sumo at the Gap ---

The bike below is currently being sold......so he can buy a more street oriented Tard.....

This is an awesome review. I’m coming from somewhat the same place as OP - only ridden street bikes, and don’t want to lose much performance on the street while still being able to take it in the dirt somewhat. Don’t need a lot of top end speed, but still want a ~4 sec. or less 0-60 time.

what makes a dr650 better for the street than a WR450F? I realize this post was over 10 years ago - does this advice still ring true? From what I’ve read, the WR450F seems faster than the DR650.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I haven't ridden a DR personally, but the consensus seems to be that the 650cc class bikes tend to cruise better at high speeds without stressing the engine so much. The extra weight also seems to be an advantage since it makes them more stable and less likely to be blown around in the wind.

I had a DRZ400 previously and while it was great on the surface streets, it was buzzy on the highway even with a 39 tooth rear sprocket. I traded in the DRZ for a CRF450L hoping the extra displacement and 6th gear would make it more comfortable at a high cruising speed. The fact is, it feels almost exactly the same as the DRZ with the RPM hovering at close to 6,500 @ 65 mph.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts