SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I'm looking at buying a WR450 and I'm wondering what I need to make it a better daily commuter to where I can easily switch it back for dirt riding on weekends when needed. I like all the supermoto stuff but I'm not sure if I need everything that is stated in other threads.

Am I able to just switch out the tyres and rims to road tyres and be fine like that or does it go much more deeper?

If I can just do a wheel swap each time, what size should I be getting?

Cheers

·
Registered
52 Posts
Quick swap includes brake discs and rear sprocket. If your spare wheels are set up with tyres, discs and sprocket, as long as your front brake caliper isn't set up for a larger diameter disc, you are pretty much sorted. If you need to swap out caliper spacers, not much longer. You may need to swap a chain if you run significantly different rear sprocket sizes. Not changing sprocket size will SIGNIFICANTLY alter the gearing. This can make the bike very peaky switching from an 18 inch rear to a 17 with low profile tyres. I would go down at least 2 teeth on the road wheel sprocket. 17 inch front and rear rims are pretty much what you want. A 4 or 4.5 inch width at the rear is more than enough. No point in a 16.5 front, rubber choice is limited.

Your speedo will be way off as well unless the gearing is standard or standard off the factory front wheel. Big wheels rotate less often so small wheels over read speed unless the speedo can be reprogrammed. As long as you are going to a smaller wheel, you should be OK with the original speedo. If it's off the drive sprocket, be careful. Going down teeth on the rear sprocket and dropping rear wheel diameter can still leave you either way, under or over.

So. Basically, get a 3.5x17 inch front and a 4.5x17 rear (if it will fit, otherwise a 4x17), a spare rear sprocket the same or slightly smaller than your current one, a front brake disc the same or if you want larger and an appropriate spacer for the caliper if you go with that. A shorter chain might also be needed depending on the sprockets. It's 45 minutes to an hour to swap after 4 beers. It's 25 minutes on a Saturday afternoon sober and it's about 10 minutes in the paddock at a track day.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Oh, and if you swap the caliper for better braking, swapping back is 24 hours and a bottle and a half of Dot 4. Every fucking time.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quick swap includes brake discs and rear sprocket. If your spare wheels are set up with tyres, discs and sprocket, as long as your front brake caliper isn't set up for a larger diameter disc, you are pretty much sorted. If you need to swap out caliper spacers, not much longer. You may need to swap a chain if you run significantly different rear sprocket sizes. Not changing sprocket size will SIGNIFICANTLY alter the gearing. This can make the bike very peaky switching from an 18 inch rear to a 17 with low profile tyres. I would go down at least 2 teeth on the road wheel sprocket. 17 inch front and rear rims are pretty much what you want. A 4 or 4.5 inch width at the rear is more than enough. No point in a 16.5 front, rubber choice is limited.

Your speedo will be way off as well unless the gearing is standard or standard off the factory front wheel. Big wheels rotate less often so small wheels over read speed unless the speedo can be reprogrammed. As long as you are going to a smaller wheel, you should be OK with the original speedo. If it's off the drive sprocket, be careful. Going down teeth on the rear sprocket and dropping rear wheel diameter can still leave you either way, under or over.

So. Basically, get a 3.5x17 inch front and a 4.5x17 rear (if it will fit, otherwise a 4x17), a spare rear sprocket the same or slightly smaller than your current one, a front brake disc the same or if you want larger and an appropriate spacer for the caliper if you go with that. A shorter chain might also be needed depending on the sprockets. It's 45 minutes to an hour to swap after 4 beers. It's 25 minutes on a Saturday afternoon sober and it's about 10 minutes in the paddock at a track day.

Cheers for all the info!

Made it so much easier to understand that it's not as hard as I thought.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts