SuperMoto Junkie banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Initially, I was going to tard out my crusty ass YZ250, so i bought some BEHR wheels with the Beringer disc and some pirelli slicks off a guy who had them on a KTM 525. Then i had a change of heart, and bought the WR. It was already plated, just had the rego on hold.

Anyway, what i have done:

-Made up spacers and whatnot to fit BEHR wheels, 3.5in front and 5in rear. (minor chain rub issues)
-Made up calliper offset bracket, etc
-Put some sticky dunlop road legal tyres on
-Fitted that black Acerbis front guard (which I had to go on the YZ), Friend who i sold it to has since fitted a blue Acerbis. (I have since purchased a blue Cycra, haha, don't even have bike yet)
-New chain and sprockets, 16-40 gearing, which is too high, going to get a 15 tooth front.
-Re-jetted the bike, couldn't get constant throttle stutter to go away, cleaned carb three times, screwed around with needle settings, jets etc etc, banged head. . . got pissed off. (Going to get a Dynatech CDI when i get it back)
-Fitted the handguards.

What my mate has done:

-Fitted digital speedo
-Blue Acerbis fender
-Fitted Pro circuit Ti4

Still to do:

-Dynatech CDI
-Cycra front guard
-Chain block (WR450fGREG, if he still makes them/i can get in touch with him)
-Ufo rear fender and light, do something about the rear indicators.
-Mod airbox cover, (goes way harder with it off at the moment, arse dyno says 2 or 3 hp difference)
-Re spring/valve/lower suspension for street and track duties.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Also, my bike doesn't look like it's had the starter gear upgrade?
What's everyone's thoughts on this, definitely do it, or if its been ok in 9 years it'll be sweet?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I need to get the carb back together and on the 06. When that happens I'll have someone ride the 06 and we'll line them up and see. The 06 will probably jump right off the line, but the 09 will be in front after that. That's what I'm betting will happen, but you never know. I should have some info. for you next week some time.
What's the word on this? About to drop some skrilla on my 426, but if it'll never hang with the newer bikes, I may keep it simple...

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
What's the word on this? About to drop some skrilla on my 426, but if it'll never hang with the newer bikes, I may keep it simple...
I'd save my money. If you're desiring more power then a 450 is more what you need. The 426 is just a great all round bike.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'd save my money. If you're desiring more power then a 450 is more what you need. The 426 is just a great all round bike.
Gotcha... Everytime I ride the 426 it makes me grin! It's just so simple. Don't know what mods you got on yours, but if i can lighten it up (yz tank, plastics), find a used fmf pipe for cheap, open up the air box a bit, and throw in a yz450f hot cam, and re-jet. Could I duplicate some 450 hp/torque #'s? I would love the extra power so I could lift the front wheel in 3rd, and do some highway wheelies...

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Gotcha... Everytime I ride the 426 it makes me grin! It's just so simple. Don't know what mods you got on yours, but if i can lighten it up (yz tank, plastics), find a used fmf pipe for cheap, open up the air box a bit, and throw in a yz450f hot cam, and re-jet. Could I duplicate some 450 hp/torque #'s? I would love the extra power so I could lift the front wheel in 3rd, and do some highway wheelies...
I would keep the WR tank. De-restrict it and do the YZ exhaust cam. The 03-05 YZ pipe will fit as should the header. That will give it some hit for sure. I have mine geared 15/40 so it doesn't have lot's of bottom end power.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I would keep the WR tank. De-restrict it and do the YZ exhaust cam. The 03-05 YZ pipe will fit as should the header. That will give it some hit for sure. I have mine geared 15/40 so it doesn't have lot's of bottom end power.
I've been searching for a used yz426f FMF pipe. But you are saying the pipe from your 06 (i.e. 03-05 yz450 and 03-06 wr450) fits the 426 as well? hmmm.... which would you think would be the better pipe of the 2? yz426 fmf, or a stock 03-05 yz450 pipe?

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
I've been searching for a used yz426f FMF pipe. But you are saying the pipe from your 06 (i.e. 03-05 yz450 and 03-06 wr450) fits the 426 as well? hmmm.... which would you think would be the better pipe of the 2? yz426 fmf, or a stock 03-05 yz450 pipe?
I think they'd be about the same...

The YZ pipe is a larger diameter than the WR, just keep that in mind when ordering exhaust components. I'd go with YZ426 FMF or YZ450 oem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Also, on a depressing note, the top chain guide seems to have been rubbing on top of the swingarm, chafed the fohk out of it. Has this happened to any of you guys?
I'm guessing i need another swingarm. . .

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Also, on a depressing note, the top chain guide seems to have been rubbing on top of the swingarm, chafed the fohk out of it. Has this happened to any of you guys?
I'm guessing i need another swingarm. . .
Just replace the chain guide

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
How'd the test go? And the winner is?
I'd have to say the '09. Though I was unable to line the two up, after spending a whole weekend on the '09 I would safely say that it is a better overall handling bike. Both on the trails and the tight twisty roads. The power comes on less abruptly, but comes on strong when it's in the mid-range. Definitely a lot more top end. I was a lot more comfortable and confident with the aluminum frame. The fun factor of my'06 will be missed. I really didn't want to sell that bike...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sounds like I need to hurry up and get my WR converted so you can do a 2012 review...

Also, your PM inbox is full.

·
Registered
27 Posts
wrrrr

this review is awesome

anyhow, i'm planning to get a 00' 400f, i know that you can overhaul the 400 with the 426 engine? do you know if i can do it with a 450? like use the 450 block/cylinder on the 400. Sorry i'm kinda bad with mechanical terms haha.

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
this review is awesome

anyhow, i'm planning to get a 00' 400f, i know that you can overhaul the 400 with the 426 engine? do you know if i can do it with a 450? like use the 450 block/cylinder on the 400. Sorry i'm kinda bad with mechanical terms haha.
I read up on a 400/426 to 450 conversion a while back. I think that the crank, cylinder, and piston have to be changed. From what I remember, it wasn't worth it. I honestly don't know enough to speak intelligently on this one though. I think that the engines would swap though. You might look on thumper talk for this question.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts