SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have a 09 with 3500 miles or so. 85% street with the rest being supermot/kart tracking. No problems with the bike but during my last two track days the bike was unable to complete shifts from 2nd to 3rd on more then one occasion. I first thought it was me not giving it a firm enough shit. It was last track day I did where I noticed it even more so but I do not have any issues when riding on the street. When it is in 3rd gear it will stay there and not come out.

I know there are a few of you that do a lot of track day riding with your w250x's so I was hoping someone had insight for me. My prior dirtbiking breaking skills tells me the shift fork is elongated or bent in some way.

HELP!?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've had a similar issue at the track. I'll shift from 2nd to 3rd, peg the throttle, and it'll pop back into 2nd. Like you, I never have the issue when riding the street though. I've got 4k miles on mine now.
If I was concious of that shift and really gave it a solid kick it didn't seem to pop back down. I've got the Driven lever on there now, which is lighter. Next time I do a trackday I'll report back on whether it's still happening.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
if you downshift 2 gears at once to back it in i could see it causing a problem down the road but you have no miles on yours. ive seen these bikes stunted for 10k miles and never have an issue id be really really surprised if you got a bent shift fork and if so id think it was rider caused.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have the same problem when I power throttle a wheelie. It wants to pop out of gear or jump gears. Its pretty scary when im riding out a wheelie and all of a sudden it switches gears unexpectedly. I was told its more than likely a bent shift fork.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had a similar issue at the track. I'll shift from 2nd to 3rd, peg the throttle, and it'll pop back into 2nd. Like you, I never have the issue when riding the street though. I've got 4k miles on mine now.
If I was concious of that shift and really gave it a solid kick it didn't seem to pop back down. I've got the Driven lever on there now, which is lighter. Next time I do a trackday I'll report back on whether it's still happening.
this is exactly whats happening!

if you downshift 2 gears at once to back it in i could see it causing a problem down the road but you have no miles on yours. ive seen these bikes stunted for 10k miles and never have an issue id be really really surprised if you got a bent shift fork and if so id think it was rider caused.
I do shift from 4th to 3rd & yes I tend to get some wheel chatter which I smooth out with the clutch. not sure what you mean by its rider caused, other then yes im riding the bike. I have never bent a shift fork before.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an 09 with about 4500miles and am going thru the same tranny problems. Sometimes when I shift up from 2-3rd or 3-4th, it'll free rev for a second as if I'm in neutral until I grab the clutch and kick it back into gear. Did you guys ever find out the reason for this happening and/or a definitive solution?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an 09 with about 4500miles and am going thru the same tranny problems. Sometimes when I shift up from 2-3rd or 3-4th, it'll free rev for a second as if I'm in neutral until I grab the clutch and kick it back into gear. Did you guys ever find out the reason for this happening and/or a definitive solution?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts