SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 08 wr250x, i am 180 lb without gear, and the suspension is way too soft for my liking

ive read a few threads on here, thumper talk, and the wr250r forum and still have some questions.

from what i have read the front suspension can be adjusted to the stiffest settings and work decently, but the rear needs a stiffer spring (a 600lb eibach one).

questions are:
is it safe to adjust the front and rear to the stiffest settings? ive heard/read un properly adjusted suspension can result in death wobble.

is it safe to adjust the front to the stiffest settings and add a stiffer (600lb) spring to the rear?

how do i adjust the bikes "sag" to the proper 3.5" while keeping the stiffest settings?

how do i adjust the spring preload on my wr250x?

I want stiffer suspension #1 for jumping the bike, #2 for carrying a passenger, #3 braking dive

·
Registered
765 Posts
Find a suspension guy that can do all this for you. You're around the same weight as me. Those springs are way too soft. You'll need front and a rear spring. Go to the racetech website and use their spring calculator to see what ratio you should get. Also set your rear sag. I think the manual recommends something close to 85mm(3.5in.) Also download the online manual. If you don't have it. Send me your email and I'll email it to you. As a given. Too far on either side of your suspension clickers can be dangerous.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply. i used the spring rate calculator.

will i need any other parts other than the new springs? how much is an average price to install new springs and whatever else they will need to do for a motorcycle shop?

·
Registered
221 Posts
fork only have 2 settings. Top staring at you, and the bottom under the rubber plug. Tighten both clockwise til they stop. Now loosen and count the clicks, for you 3-7 clicks will be your window, 1 or 2 clicks is max you can go, factory is 10 clicks out.

Rear spring is 8.33 inches tall(stock), max softest is 8.5", max hardness is 8.11" You can adjust it, I did. You would be good in the 8.20-.25" area

Rear shock is your compression, righty tight all the way, then count the clicks as you loosen.
stock is 7, you could use 3-5 area, 1 click out is max.

damping is the bottom gear on shock, thing with rubber and teeth on it. :D
brake side, turn is towards the engine til it bottoms out. Count clicks as you now turn it towards rear tire.
stock is 13 clicks, 3 clicks is max hardness, 25 clicks is max softest. 5-8 area should be better for you

try these, they should steer you in the right direction.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fork only have 2 settings. Top staring at you, and the bottom under the rubber plug. Tighten both clockwise til they stop. Now loosen and count the clicks, for you 3-7 clicks will be your window, 1 or 2 clicks is max you can go, factory is 10 clicks out.

Rear spring is 8.33 inches tall(stock), max softest is 8.5", max hardness is 8.11" You can adjust it, I did. You would be good in the 8.20-.25" area

Rear shock is your compression, righty tight all the way, then count the clicks as you loosen.
stock is 7, you could use 3-5 area, 1 click out is max.

damping is the bottom gear on shock, thing with rubber and teeth on it. :D
brake side, turn is towards the engine til it bottoms out. Count clicks as you now turn it towards rear tire.
stock is 13 clicks, 3 clicks is max hardness, 25 clicks is max softest. 5-8 area should be better for you

try these, they should steer you in the right direction.
thanks for the info, ive read your posts in some other suspension threads and they have been very informative.

but, i still have some questions.
if i adjust my rear spring to a harder setting to 8.20-.25" will it make my sag even less? i need it to be around 3.5" and it is at 2 or so inches now.

also where is the adjustment screw for the rear shock compression?

and what kind of tool do i use to adjust the damping on the rear shock, the "thing with the rubber and teeth on it"?

·
Registered
221 Posts
thanks for the info, ive read your posts in some other suspension threads and they have been very informative.

but, i still have some questions.
if i adjust my rear spring to a harder setting to 8.20-.25" will it make my sag even less? i need it to be around 3.5" and it is at 2 or so inches now.

also where is the adjustment screw for the rear shock compression?

and what kind of tool do i use to adjust the damping on the rear shock, the "thing with the rubber and teeth on it"?

I can't see you wanting more sag but a stiffer suspension. You're not going to get it on the stock suspension. You wanted a stiffer suspension, those settings should give you a tighter ride. You want more sag, you'll need to loosen the stock setting, 8.4-8.5" area. You think a 600lb spring is going to give you more sag, nope.

adjustment screw is the brass screw at top of shock, can't miss it.

I used my hand

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't see you wanting more sag but a stiffer suspension. You're not going to get it on the stock suspension. You wanted a stiffer suspension, those settings should give you a tighter ride. You want more sag, you'll need to loosen the stock setting, 8.4-8.5" area. You think a 600lb spring is going to give you more sag, nope.

adjustment screw is the brass screw at top of shock, can't miss it.

I used my hand
i do want a stiffer suspension, but sag is supposed to be about 3.5" on this bike or (from what i have read) you could get headshake/tank slap?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
i measured the rear spring and it is 8.125"... this explains my sag problem

i adjusted the clickers. 3 clicks on the compression and rebound on the back, and 2 on each in the front. still waiting to test it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts