SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying this 2009 wr 250x with 3000 miles on it. Only mod is a fmf pipe. The guy got it out this season and has only ridden it 18 miles but says it shut off on him once while riding it. When he bought the bike from the dealer it had the pipe on it already. When I started it up it idled ok except for every little bit it had a slight sputter and it did backfire once ( I let it idle for a little bit )

Anyway I took it for a two mile test ride. I really got into it through all the gears to make sure it was good, had no problems while accelerating. When I pulled the clutch in to turn around it sounded like it almost shut off so I gave it a rev. When I was turning on a residential road i pulled the clutch in and it shut off. I bump started it and pulled Into the driveway and let it idle where it would sputter everyonce in a while and it stalled a few times too.

The guy stated it has only been doing it this year. I own the yz250f and it sounded like this only when the valves needed adjusted and it would shut off in turns like this too but backfired more.

Just wondering what you guys thought.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
If you can check this plug.

It's located right behind the radiator and you must take off the radiator bracket to reach this area. Sometimes it gets unplugged.

The idle could be low as well and may need some adjusting.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Bad gas?
Dying battery?
Not breathing well due to mouse nest in airbox? (has been known to happen)

Needs Fuel programmer?

Ask about the "free mods":

1) flapper
2) AIS removal
3) Airbox gutting, or complete door removal

In this case the first thing I'd really want to check is the gas in the bike.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
i could pretty much gaurantee it has nothing to do with valve clearance, i wouldn't even thnk to touch valves on these bikes till the 26,000 mile service like the book says unless something really went wrong.

id say bad gas no programmer or idle to low with no programmer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts