SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like ever since I changed my sprockets and chain, that the bike shifts harder or makes a little "clank" sound everytime i shift. Nothing major but it just doesnt sound right. I was looking at the shift lever earlier and their seemed to be just a tad bit of side to side play. Could the non-o ring chain be making all the noise? It is also harder to find neutral sometimes as well when Im coming to a stop or getting ready to take off. Bike has 3300 miles on it.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
whyd you take the o-ring chain off and put a non o-ring chain on? that seems like a step backwards...
could be the chain. could have it too loose or tight. if it started when you swapped chains, thats where id look first

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Supposedly, an O and/or X ring chain robs some power.

Typically - guys go with the no o-ring for the extra power.

That's my guess.

And yes - I'd assume the noise is the chain you picked.

My X-ring chain and new sprockets made a huge improvement over the stock set-up.

But I also had a 2008 X with the shitty rear sprocket that had the rubber chain-ring on it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well the chain was actually too tight. I just checked it and it was right at an inch of slack. Loosened it up to about 1 3/8ths and it is WAY quieter. Helps if you check it on a real bike stand!! lol But I purchased the non o-ring chain for no real reason other than Motosport was having a renthal chain and sprocket deal....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes clutch cable is good (i think), have about about a nickles worth of play in the lever. But man, the chain just looks way too loose now even though its within the specifications...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Supposedly, an O and/or X ring chain robs some power.

Typically - guys go with the no o-ring for the extra power.

That's my guess.

And yes - I'd assume the noise is the chain you picked.

My X-ring chain and new sprockets made a huge improvement over the stock set-up.

But I also had a 2008 X with the shitty rear sprocket that had the rubber chain-ring on it.
Sorry to get off topic but what's so shitty about that? First I've heard any mention of that so I'm just curious.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
The stock rear sprocket on 2008 wr250x's (not sure what other years had it) has a very hard rubber "gasket" kind of thing on it. I have no idea why, but that POS was noisey and well worth the effort to get rid of it.

You can see it in this picture:

The chain would ride right across the rubber gasket and make a ton of noise.

Awful.

I'm pretty sure yamaha stopped using that sprocket on 2010 and later models, but I'm not sure if 2009's had it or not.

·
Registered
307 Posts
But man, the chain just looks way too loose now even though its within the specifications...
It's exactly that thinking that makes most people tend to adjust their chain too tightly.
Put some weight on the seat, make the rear axle, swingarm pivot bolt, and front sprocket shaft align in a straight line, and then see if you still have a little bit of free play.
If so, you're good.
If the play has been removed when doing this, you are not good.

If you have a non-O-ring chain now, it will now always look like it's sagging down more because there are no longer O-rings at each joint (and being squished at each joint), making each joint a bit stiff.
Because of this, a non-O-ring chain will be more easily sagged downward by gravity pulling on it, where an O-ring chain, with it's inherent joint stiffness, will sag downward less.
As mentioned, it is this reduction in joint stiffness that makes some guys insist on a non-O-ring chain, especially guys racing motocross.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The stock rear sprocket on 2008 wr250x's (not sure what other years had it) has a very hard rubber "gasket" kind of thing on it. I have no idea why, but that POS was noisey and well worth the effort to get rid of it.

You can see it in this picture:

The chain would ride right across the rubber gasket and make a ton of noise.

Awful.

I'm pretty sure yamaha stopped using that sprocket on 2010 and later models, but I'm not sure if 2009's had it or not.

actually thats the direct opposite of what you just said. those rubber dampeners are put on there to lessen vibration and noise so you shouldnt hear more noise with those style of sprockets you should get less noise overall

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
That's the diffrence between theory and reality.

That rubber gasket squeaked to high heaven unless almost dripping with chain lube.

Hideous thing.

A new rear sprocket and new chain was extremely less noisey. order of magnitudes quieter....:D

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yep, in reality those rubber things were worthless.

When I get symptoms of clanking shifts and harder to find neutral.
I tighten up my clutch cable.

·
Registered
107 Posts
dont know how most of you do your adjustment but i do it just like my old motocross bikes. When the bike is on the stand of the ground should be about 3 fingers pointer, middle, and ring finger. From the chain guide on swinarm to the chain itself.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
yamaha only put these on the first year model. no other than '08s had them

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeh some slack does go away when Im on the bike, I also notice the chain rubbing the rear chain guide a little more due to the larger diameter sprocket. It is so much quieter whe n coasting to a stop now though, as when before I tightened it was very noisy.

·
Registered
107 Posts
if your slack is right and you maintain your chain the bike should make no noise why rolling. My bike when i pust it out of the garage does not make one sound smooth like buttta

1 - 19 of 19 Posts