SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and welcome to my rebuild/repair/upgrade/all around noob thread! I say noob because 1) I am a fairly new rider and new to the sumo lifestyle, so, be kind. 2) I am new to creating threads rather than reading them. I knew I wanted a supermoto as soon as I heard about them; light, forgiving, agile, economical, cheap, tall (I am a large rider), and sexy!!
BUT my content for this thread starts on a low note, early winter 2015, after a great deal of searching, I found myself a 2009 WR250X. This beauty had 800 miles on the clock and I wasn't about to pass it up, I immediately fell in love. Fast forward to not even a year (and only 350 miles) later a driver pulls out of his driveway right in front of me causing me to lay down the bike and become well acquainted with the pavement. So here I am, awaiting funds from the insurance company so I can transform "Crow" into "Crow 2.0." The purpose of this thread for me is to document my first build and upgrade process, as well as to hopefully get some help from more knowledgeable sumo-ers, and maybe help some people in the future doing an upgrade or repair. I will be happy to answer questions, take advice and opinions, I expect some (constructive) criticism.
Hopefully to follow will be some pictures of the bikes condition (if i can figure out how to post them hahaha)
Enjoy!

-Zeus

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More shots of the damage :anim_peep:

If any of you are debating axle/frame sliders, DO IT!!! super cheap (Ill link the thread I used to build mine when I find it) and the guy who did the appraisal on my bike said that my sliders saved me from HUUUGEE amounts of damage! :bannana:

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got a little antsy and while waiting on the damned insurance company I decided to go ahead and take a couple things off the bike. Just some broken stuff like mirrors and sliders and things, oh and obviously all the plastics..

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Parts are slowly starting to funnel in. Been on vacation so even more parts should be here come Monday, I took a quick snapshot of the parts I've got in so far, lemme know what you think of my choices and of my new helmet!! I'm diggin' it for sure. Got word from the dealer that my sub-frame has come in so hopefully I can get started on this soon :bannana:

Oh and I have a question for everyone; I'm stuck between the FMF Q4, the Yoshimura, and the GYTR slip on for this bike. Of course I could just replace the muffler cap, but for 70$ it seems silly as I will eventually replace the exhaust anyway... I'm leaning toward the GYTR because I like that you can still use the stock heat shield :hmmm:

Along with that ^^^ I've also been considering doing the airbox mod people have been doing to these, what are your thoughts on it? Would you recommend it? If I do both the airbox mod and the slip on do I need to get a programmer for it?

Pros and Cons for all of the above would be greatly appreciated.

ok ok ok here are the pictures:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
When I had my WRX, I installed an FMF Q4 and the PowerBomb header. I also did the Ultimate Airbox Mod, K&N air filter, AIS delete, EXUP delete, and I had an FMF fuel programmer.
So pretty much the "full kit" all at the same time. It helped a lot. I don't know how much each part did vs the whole package.
The bike is lean from the factory and the first thing you should be doing would be to install a fuel programmer to help balance the air/fuel mixture.
ProTaper Evo bars, Zeta handguards, and an RSC lever was also what I did, although I had the single finger shorty lever. It's a great combo.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The bike is lean from the factory and the first thing you should be doing would be to install a fuel programmer to help balance the air/fuel mixture.
ProTaper Evo bars, Zeta handguards, and an RSC lever was also what I did, although I had the single finger shorty lever. It's a great combo.
This is great information thank you, ill look into the fuel programmer.

and i love the RSC i got, i cant wait to put on the bars and all the controlls.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
did you like this exhaust? how did it perform and how was the build quality and sound? i havent heard much about this set up
Loved it. Wished I had gone with it from the beginning but I initially bought the Yosh RS-4. The Yosh was built better obviously and sounded a little better but fit & looked like crap and was only a slip-on. The Delta comes as a full system and was going strong up until I sold my WRX.

This sound clip is pretty accurate to what the Delta sounded like.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Loved it. Wished I had gone with it from the beginning but I initially bought the Yosh RS-4. The Yosh was built better obviously and sounded a little better but fit & looked like crap and was only a slip-on.]
oh man i have a tough decision ahead of me :headscrat thanks for the input im looking for as much information as i can find

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so i had a little bit of time at the house yesterday and figured i would do a little work on the bike. i finally got my rear sub-frame on Thursday and am super excited! BTW if and of you guys are in Massachusetts and live anywhere near Northampton i would highly recommend Valley Motorsports, they're pretty cool.
i thought i might as well take a quick snapshot of what i did while i was working on it, some observant people might notice the little table thing i set up in the back.

i am wicked pumped to see this actually get some progress! i have some seriously cool ideas for this bike and am just dying to start modifying and showing you guys my ideas come to life, and see them for myself!!

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
P.S. anyone know how to make my pictures not upload sideways :headshake:damn::headscrat

and if any of you guys want or know someone who wants some stock random or weird miscellaneous parts for a 09 WR250X let me know. im not looking to get rich i just want these parts to go to someone who can use them. PM me if you need something. plastics too i got a new set, though obviously mine are a bit banged up

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just sucked it up and got started on the frame swap last week... and it went pretty smooth!!! Im proud not gonna lie i thought i was gonna have serious issues doing this :clap:
so of course i snapped some pics, but apparently forgot to take one once i was done. ill grab a shot of it later for comparison, in these shots its kinda hard to tell how bent the frame is.
also, this bike looks sick just havin a little whale tale for the rear end! at least i think so..

let me know if any of you are liking this thread. what you like what you dont, and of course any tips on the bike are always appreciated! thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You were able to remove the subframe while leaving the airbox/electronics on?
Yeah, it was kind of a pain to remove the old frame but since it was damaged I didn't mind being a little rough, though no further damage was done. I had to remove all the bits and pieces from the frame that stuck out so they wouldn't catch on anything. But after I got that off the new frame slid right on super smooth. It was tricky getting some of the mounting hardware back on the frame with the electronics and airbox there, but it's definitely do-able.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I did a couple of things when i got out of work today, took the handlebars off and mounted the new Protaper Oversized bar mounts. That was annoying. the washers they supply you with dont fit underneath the triple clamp, so you have to use the stock washers (one of which is a mount for some wires anyway) but also you need the height of the new washers or you will run out of thread on the clamp before it will be tight, so i put the supplied washers on top of the triple clamp underneath the bar mounts. all in all it worked out well and they look pretty good! the other thing i did was i installed my new front blinkers along with the blinker mount kit i got from DRC so i could get rid of the giant stock blinker mounts. heads up with those mounts; i had to drill the mounting hole out to accommodate the thread of my aftermarket blinkers. not everyone will have to do this im sure but just as a heads up not all aftermarket blinkers fit right into the DRC mounts. simple fix.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
more work done this evening. i installed my ProTapers and temporarily mounted all my controls. i didnt mount the grips yet because im still deciding if i am going to cut down the ProTapers as they are quite wide and i have yet to install the hand guards, but we shall see. i have a couple questions for my WRX riders;
1) how did you deal with the engine kill switch attached to the clutch?? as far as i can tell you need to ground one of the wires in order to bypass the switch as the RSC does not have connections for it, what did you guys do? assuming you had this problem with aftermarket clutch levers
2) if you installed LED blinkers, and installed resistor packs in order to "heal" the fast blink, where did you mount them?!?! i cant find a good spot to put them! plus they are nasty bright gold with red wires so i might actually hit them with some black paint first. pics are definitely helpful.
3) where did you hide your fuel programmer? again pics are helpful.
as you can see i mounted a new mirror on my clutch side bar. it will eventually be pointed under my armpit and behind me, at least thats the plan. i mounted it here cuz ive seen it done a lot and im not sure where else to mount it. any suggestions or opinions on this?? i have two mirrors of the same style and they come with bar end mounts.
and i finally made a decision on the exhaust, went with the Yoshi slip on because i love the carbon fiber tip and i just have always heard good things about Yoshi. and i only got the slip on because Evol was saying above, and ive heard it a lot, that this bike runs lean from the factory so that needs to be addressed first. and so i got the fmf fuel programmer rather than getting a header pipe.
ok ive rambled enough here a some pictures that most will be looking for anyway :lol:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 56 Posts