SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why I would have problems turning my key in my WR250X ignition?
The hardest part is for the steering lock, then when I want to turn the bike on it's still hard, it takes me like 1 minute just to play with the key to start the bike each time. Just want to know if it happened to someone else. Also I lost my original key, locksmith made another one out of my ignition, it worked really good like 2 weeks ago, but now not so good. :headscrat

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have the same problem some times. It's temperamental and i have the stock key. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
only problem with that is when you pull your keys out and stick them in your pocket or toss them on the couch or something.

hooray for black stains:bannana:

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
only problem with that is when you pull your keys out and stick them in your pocket or toss them on the couch or something.

hooray for black stains:bannana:
I see, that wont be a problem, I never look in my pockets :lol:

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
inside your pockets isnt bad. im just saying ive done this before and i still get stains on shirts, pants, furnature, and my truck seats if im not extremely carefull of how i grab my keys and what i touch next. that shit is messy. just a heads up.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Having to many keys hooked on your key ring will cause problems-
the extra weight and vibration will cause lock to be damaged-

Loose the extra keys and lube the lock with LPS #1 or TriFlow-
neither of these lubes stain cloths

·
Registered
507 Posts
Having to many keys hooked on your key ring will cause problems-
the extra weight and vibration will cause lock to be damaged-

Loose the extra keys and lube the lock with LPS #1 or TriFlow-
neither of these lubes stain cloths
I only have the key. Nothing attached, not even a key ring. What's my bikes problem? :hmmm::rant:

·
Registered
150 Posts
i could not get my steering lock off one time when i parked the front in a small pot hole.

had to roll it out to level ground to get it off.

not really sure how or why it happened but it was weird. for like 5 mins i thought i was going to have to just twist until the pin for the lock snapped or something worse...

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
i have the same problem. i only have the one key. nothing on it. and actually the key never leave the bike unless i leave it outside of a store or something. i just deal with it. its not that bad yet.

·
Premium Member
3,683 Posts
yeaup same here, its totally random though, one time it took me awhile just to get the switch to turn on from the off position...i put some clear silicon lube on my key and it seems to be working fine now....im sure it will act up again :headshake

·
Registered
30 Posts
yeaup same here, its totally random though, one time it took me awhile just to get the switch to turn on from the off position...i put some clear silicon lube on my key and it seems to be working fine now....im sure it will act up again :headshake
Same problem here.

I'm gunner try the silicon lube. One thing I've noticed (and this is crazy) is that the key is harder to turn depending on which direction its facing when I put it in! See if that applies to you.

·
Registered
913 Posts
sometimes new keys turn harder than older worn out ones due to them being slightly tighter in the barrel..........take a very mild piece of sand paper (emery paper), and scuff the sharp edges of the key........nothing to deform it, just to round out the edges........
the graphite powder is an old trick, but its best suited to non-electrical locks since it conducts electricity and can cause problems.......

if all fails, tell the locksmith its a pain in the ass, he should be able to modify it slightly.

if the key breaks in the ignition while trying to get it unlocked with no spare at hand, you'll be up shit creek without a paddle.:headshake

1 - 18 of 18 Posts