SuperMoto Junkie banner

421 - 433 of 433 Posts

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
We lowered one of our school drz's, and with every trackday there's usually someone who prefers the lower bike.

imho, if you're around 5'5 and primary use is street get some lowering links. at street speed there's no downside to the lower bike, and even on the track it works pretty well. That bike does have more rear chatter on the brakes.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I just wanted to chime in here about using 91 octane in the WR. I have been riding scooters for a while (yes they can be very fun!) and have delt with tiney tanks. One thing to keep in mind when using high octane is that there is usually only one hose for all grades. I would think that when you only fill up with 1.5 gallons, you would never even get what you want. Those big hoses have to hold at least that much gas. You will surely end up with whatever the last guy got. Unless of course you go to a station that has a seperate hose for each grade. I dont see any of those around anymore though. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
601 Posts
You worry for nothing- I managed a C-store back in the 1980s, and the dealer where I managed the service department had a gas pump. When the state inspectors came by to certify the pumps each year, they pumped out 5 gallons of fuel and measured it to make sure that the pump dispensed exactly 5 gallons. They also check to see how much is left in the hose, to make sure people are not getting ripped off, and also to test the capture system that the government mandates for all modern pumps: vapors and fuel are captured and returned to the holding tank so they do not polute the environment. The amount left in the hose after pumping 5 gallons averages about 1/4 cup. So even if you only put in 1 gallon, only 1/64th of your fuel is not the right octane, not enough to make a difference.

Quoted from: Post #8
http://www.motorcycleforums.net/forum/paddock/34483-fuel-remaining-gas-pump-hoses.html

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you had to choose between these two what would you guys get?
a) $8500 2011 drz400sm 3300kms with mrd/ssw exhaust, fcr and a few other mods
b) $6000 2009 wr250r 7700kms with full motard setup aswell as stock, 2 sets of plastics, FMF Q4, powerbomb header etc
im leaning towards the wr but a bit worried about lack of power as im 6'4 100kg

using it for commuting 20kms each way 5x a week and weekend runs up the hills
possibly take it offroad if i get the 2 setups

how many kms do these bikes generally live for? ill be doing around 10000 a year probably

or there is a 2007 crf450x for $6000 with motard wheels
im right in saying it wouldnt be suitable for commuting though yeah?

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
If you had? to choose between these two what would you guys get?
a) $8500 2011 drz400sm 3300kms with mrd/ssw exhaust, fcr and a few other mods
b) $6000 2009 wr250r 7700kms with full motard setup aswell as stock, 2 sets of plastics, FMF Q4, powerbomb header etc
im leaning towards the wr but a bit worried about lack of power as im 6'4 100kg

using it for commuting 20kms each way 5x a week and weekend runs up the hills
possibly take it offroad if i get the 2 setups

how many kms do these bikes generally live for? ill be doing around 10000 a year probably

or there is a 2007 crf450x for $6000 with motard wheels
im right in saying it wouldnt be suitable for commuting though yeah?
Ride them both. Pick the one you like the most.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I do about 10k miles a year as well- the DR-Z and WR will both handle that. The CRF will NOT. Ever. People with bikes like that brag about getting 10k miles total.

·
Registered
477 Posts
WR, no question. But maybe I am biased...

There are some on wr250r forum with 50k+ miles (81k+ km) on their WR with no issues.

The power on the WR is surprisingly capable. I bought one expecting it to be gutless after reading all the drivel on this site, but was pleasantly surprised and it pulls quite strong. Sure, it's no race bred 450, but as stated a million times, the WRx is a ton of fun.

·
Registered
47 Posts
So stock ride height is 35.2..and by using the lowering option on the rear shock clevis I can lower another half inch correct 34.7?
I'm really torn between the drzsm and this bike..my first bike. The drz feels lower ...but I like the feel and build much more on the wrx..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Height of the bike

Dont worry about the height. I have a WR250x and I am barely 5'7 and can barely touch the ground with both balls of my feet. I had a katana 600 and a SV1000s that were both "too tall" for me. You will get used to it and it becomes a non-issue.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Why are people even comparing a DRZ to a WRX? I've ridden both enough to judge. Modded DRZ vrs modded WRX is a lame comparo. Modded vrs Modded a DRZ embarasses a modded WRX. It's not even close.

·
Registered
172 Posts
:clap: Thank you for this, and all the comparing you've done/are doing still! I wasn't really "on the fence" per Se' but I have owned a 400SM and loved it but kinda wanted to get the WRX after riding (for about 2 min's) my friends WRX and falling in love with it, this comparison helped alot

This is all subjective and my personal opinion, so take it for what you want based on my experiences with both bikes and riding in general.

Appearance/Fit/Finish/Styling
DRZ=1 WRX=3
Weight
DRZ=1 WRX=3
Modifications
DRZ=3 WRX=1
Gas Mileage
DRZ=3 WRX=2
Street Riding
DRZ=2 WRX=2
Freeway Riding
DRZ=2 WRX=2
Track Time at Adams Kart Track
DRZ=1 WRX=3
Ease of Oil Change
DRZ=2 WRX=3
Valve Adjustment Intervals
DRZ=2 WRX=3
Horsepower/Torque
DRZ=3 WRX=2
Comfort/Vibration
DRZ=2 WRX=3

TOTAL POINTS AWARDED
DRZ=22 WXR=27

Judging Criteria for each catergory were:
Horsepower/Torque-who made what relative to engine size
Vavle Adjustment Interval-greater length between reccomended services
Ease of Oil Change-least amount of steps and things to fiddle with
Track Time-fastest lap wins
Freeway-looking at passing power, gearing, vibration and ultimate top speed
Street Riding-Ease of flicking it around, seat height, quickness from stop light, gassing it up, on-off throttle response, noise levels
Gas Mileage-better mpg equals more points
Weight-ligher is better
Modifications-which model has the most available right now
Appearance-which model is fresher looking and gets the most comments from strangers about how good it looks

Things I DIDN'T look at where stunting, resale, insurance, initial costs, availability and such.

CONCLUSION-If you are on the fence, I would suggest you get the WRX with these caveats, 1. If you are a 'big guy' I would get the DRZ 2. If the first thing you think about is outright 'power' when wanting to compare the two, get the DRZ. Other than that, I would say buy the Yamaha and love it!!

421 - 433 of 433 Posts