SuperMoto Junkie banner

401 - 420 of 433 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Suzuki did win. But I believe its just beccause its been around longer, and back then with the economy and all, people had more spending money. Now its about even. I've seen suk take a year off production of a model, just to come out with an unchanged bike. All I've heard is rumors that the x is discontinued and not just taking a year off to clear inventory. But, even if this is true, they're not gonna bust out the little red flashy light and make all of us forget its existance like the matrix. There's a strong (enough, if I have to specify) following that enough parts will be available for long enough, that I wouldn't be scared to buy a used one. Maybe in 20 years you might have trouble, but let's face it, we'll all have new motards by then
Can you describe what you consider to be a strong calling? I see you live in Victoria. You're the only person I've ever heard of on the entire island who has a 250x. I personally know of at least 10 people who've owned a DRZ in Victoria alone, and I'm talking in the last 2 years when the 250x was option. There's only one for sale in the entire lower mainland.....yet there's pages and pages of 2008+ DRZs for sale.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
i live on the big ol' island of Texas. Victoria, Texas.

just read all the posts and stunt builds and yamaha threads on here. theres tons of wrx's. theres the wr forum, which ive never been on, but to have a whole forum for just one bike is big. and look on wheeling cycle supply... anything made for the 400 is made for the x.

ive personally known more people on x's, though i know thres more 400's out there.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
i dont know the numbers, or care to. i love my wr and you couldnt pry it out of my hands to get me on a drz. there are plenty of other people that love their wr's and will continue to ride, maintain and modify them. its not like they made 3 of them in 1971 and now you need a blinker switch or something. its a WRX! people love them and parts will be available, and easy to find for many years to come.

·
Registered
679 Posts
i dont know the numbers, or care to. i love my wr and you couldnt pry it out of my hands to get me on a drz. there are plenty of other people that love their wr's and will continue to ride, maintain and modify them. its not like they made 3 of them in 1971 and now you need a blinker switch or something. its a WRX! people love them and parts will be available, and easy to find for many years to come.
I see what you're saying, but what I'm trying to say is that manufactures of aftermarket parts make products where there's money to be made. I can't see continued development for something that is discontinued. It wouldn't make any business sense. I'm not saying it's a bad bike, I think it's a great bike, but it just didn't do well in this market.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
what exactly do you think theyre going to quit making? if they still make the R, the parts fit the X. other than the wheels and brakes, which can be bought from anywhere and fit easily. if they keep making the R, theres still parts. i get what youre saying, but its still in production, just with knobs. the parts availability, or elledged lack thereof, would in no way be a strong enough argument to scare me off of buying a used one. R parts fit for repairs, Raftermarket pipes and programmers and such fit, and anything else as far as wheels, brakes and suspension can be found anyhwere and fitted easily.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry, I'm a little slow...can you post the official announcement from Yamaha that they are discontinuing the WR250X?

Funny, 3 years ago someone made a big thread about this on TT before the 09s came out. Since then, they produced 09, 10, 11 and now 12.:hmmm:

I'm not sure the sales numbers. But, I've had mine for 1.5 yr and still get a smile everyday I commute. Even in crappy weather. That's at $3.50/gal. Wait until gas goes up even more and the new cars are stupid expensive (already there if you ask me).

This bike is great.
While were on the subject, the DRZ is a fugly outdated pig and the 450X takes away from the bike's concept: a guilt free commuter that is a blast to run to its limit with potential to explore.
How many commuters can handle a 450X? If you want big power make your own sumo and deal with the reliability and extra weight in the corners. Or, jump on a sport bike. The SM bike was not intented for a 1 bike does all:arsenal Just kidding...to each his own opinion:anim_peep:

·
Registered
679 Posts
Sorry, I'm a little slow...can you post the official announcement from Yamaha that they are discontinuing the WR250X?

Funny, 3 years ago someone made a big thread about this on TT before the 09s came out. Since then, they produced 09, 10, 11 and now 12.:hmmm:
You are slow.....show me on the 2012 model on the Yamaha website. All the 2012s have been released.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I spoke with my father in law last night (who works at a cycle shop), and he said that they just got the Yamaha catalog, and it does have the X and the R model WR250 in it. Unless it is a misprint... They are going to make 2012 models. Unlike Suzuki.

I would highly debate the "do it all" bike. I think an SM is as close as you can get. Last weekend I did about 700 miles, about 250 of which were trails. From good dirt roads to nasty rock filled trail. Also, there were a lot of nice canyons in there that were traversed at extra-legal speeds. Touring, trails, and canyon carving. And when I got home, I rode it to work, like I do every day.

Also, the 450X would be greatly appreciated. The 250 doesn't have enough power to maintain speed up here at altitude, especially when there is a head wind. You said it yourself, the DR-Z is outdated. Imagine a new tech FI 6 speed low maintenance 450. Sounds like a winner to me.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I spoke with my father in law last night (who works at a cycle shop), and he said that they just got the Yamaha catalog, and it does have the X and the R model WR250 in it. Unless it is a misprint... They are going to make 2012 models. Unlike Suzuki.

I would highly debate the "do it all" bike. I think an SM is as close as you can get. Last weekend I did about 700 miles, about 250 of which were trails. From good dirt roads to nasty rock filled trail. Also, there were a lot of nice canyons in there that were traversed at extra-legal speeds. Touring, trails, and canyon carving. And when I got home, I rode it to work, like I do every day.

Also, the 450X would be greatly appreciated. The 250 doesn't have enough power to maintain speed up here at altitude, especially when there is a head wind. You said it yourself, the DR-Z is outdated. Imagine a new tech FI 6 speed low maintenance 450. Sounds like a winner to me.
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modeloverview/cat/2012/58/model_overview.aspx

·
Registered
19 Posts
You are slow.....show me on the 2012 model on the Yamaha website. All the 2012s have been released.
Just because a manf. does not update their website for the next model does not mean they are discontinuing. I can give you a list of bikes and ATVs that have not been updated. They are definitely not discontinued. The 2008 recession changed the way the "toy" industry updates their products.

As far as the 450X...I'm sure it has it's place. Manf. need to spread out the new stuff. They need to sell some stuff, make small updates, then come out with something new. Keeps you and me always thinking about the next bike.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Just because a manf. does not update their website for the next model does not mean they are discontinuing. I can give you a list of bikes and ATVs that have not been updated. They are definitely not discontinued. The 2008 recession changed the way the "toy" industry updates their products.

As far as the 450X...I'm sure it has it's place. Manf. need to spread out the new stuff. They need to sell some stuff, make small updates, then come out with something new. Keeps you and me always thinking about the next bike.
So they accidentally forgot to update the Canadian Yamahaha website too?

·
Registered
19 Posts
So they accidentally forgot to update the Canadian Yamahaha website too?
You're not getting it Frosty.
Not selling a 2012 model does not mean a bike is discontinued.
Yamaha could have easily made a BNG change or nothing at all and called it a 2012.
Or, there could be a regulation they don't want to deal with for 2012 at this time.
They are probably trying to dump the leftovers first.

As I said, there are many examples of manf. that are not putting out "new" stuff. Does NOT mean they are discontinuing that model.

·
Registered
185 Posts
In case someone wants to see the WR and DRZ horsepower and torque side by side on a single graph here it is:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6273723287/

I took the numbers from motorcycle.com and put them into an excel sheet, (just the torque numbers) and then plotted the data. It isn't perfect but very close to the true graphs.

I have never seen a dyno with both bikes on a single graph for comparison but it sure helps when you can see the two together.

I can never get images to show in the actual posts using the image codes. Oh well..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Although I think I would have preferred a WR250x though having not ridden one before. I just snagged an 06 DRZ with the basic mods and 3200 miles on the odo for $3200. The cheapest WR250X I could find around me was $4500. I just couldn't justify the extra price.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am 5'7" 150 and I bought the wr250x it had a lowering link on it. Fun bike but didn't really have the power I wanted. Just picked up a clean 05 drz sm and I can reach the ground safely and has all the power I need. Wish they had the 6 speed like the wrx though. Either way a lowering link is a cheap fix to fit your height issue.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My wife is 5'8" and can just tiptoe my 07 DR-Z. You will need to lower it or hold it up with one foot. She has no issues on her 03 636 or our 09 Ninja 250

·
Registered
399 Posts
My wife is 5'8" and can just tiptoe my 07 DR-Z. You will need to lower it or hold it up with one foot. She has no issues on her 03 636 or our 09 Ninja 250
I'm 5'7" and I can use a DRZ just fine without a lowering link. And I did have to lower my bike because I had to get completely off to hold it up. The DRZ is nowhere NEAR as tall as people make it sound. I may have been using one foot or something, but when you're a short rider you're already used to that.

401 - 420 of 433 Posts