SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 433 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, now that I am out of the hospital I am going to do my comparion of the two bikes that I own/owned.
The Yamaha is mine since I have owned since new and the Suzuki I will be using is the first one I had, which I owned from new as well. My neighbor currently owns it so I know the interim history.

Here is my simple plan do just give folks some ideas and answer some questions. I am not trying to start a flame war, so please I would like to avoid that. I just happen to have owned both and ridden both on a track(soon).

I am not a pro rider by any means, but an intermediate.

Here is my plan for the comparison, which will be limited in scope, cash and instrumented results, i.e I am not dynoing the bikes. But I will stopwatch a few simple tests.

1. Photo the bikes from all sides, next to each other.
2. List of mods done to each bike.
3. Weight from two different types of scales on each bike.
4. Gas mileage
5. 0-60 time
6. My impession on a street ride.
7. My track day impression at Adams, dirt section included. Probably timed and me as the control rider.
8. A list of what I feel in my opinion only, what are the pro's and con's of each machine relative only to the other.
9. Cost of ownership and modifications.

This will be a big project for me while I am working on getting my health better. If you can think of something SIMPLE and valuable to this comparison, please let me know. Thank you.

My plan is to have nice complete results posted here within 2.5 weeks. With a little searching on here, you can see what I have done already, but the plan is now to do something a little more direct and hands on.

Besides, you will probably get something really good outta SMR anyways. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
If you can think of something SIMPLE and valuable to this comparison, please let me know.
Maybe a comparo of simple maintenance items, like oil filter access, spark plug ease of changing, air filter access, chain adjustment etc...

Might not be a whole lot of difference between the two, but I have a feeling these questions will be asked...:lol:

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the idea about maintenance. I will compare then filter costs, ease and location as well as a quick comparison of scheduled maintenence. That is a good idea.

Please, now that I have a good plan give me about 2 weeks to make it all happen and be on here.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Quick question, which sumo would be better for a short rider. I'm 5'4 with a 29inch inseam, your answer would help me choose which bike to get.
Angelo

Also, good to hear your out of the hosp.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ill be watching this for sure. Im currently planning on getting my first sumo mid to late summer and was leaning tward the drz due to my size (5'11" and 200lbs) and the fact it comes with 17s. But this new yamaha is looking good too. Although Im still probably going to go for the drz due to the fact of being able to find one used.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Quick question, which sumo would be better for a short rider. I'm 5'4 with a 29inch inseam, your answer would help me choose which bike to get.
Angelo

Also, good to hear your out of the hosp.

The 250 has a shorter seat height. My wife sat on one at the bike show and preferred its height to my DR-Z400SM. She's 5'8" and can just touch with her tippy-toes on my DR-Z.

I'm looking forward to the comparison and am glad to hear you're doing better Rowdy. Thanks for doing this. I can't believe none of the magazines have done the comparison test yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looking foward to seeing the results and comparison, thanks for doing the dirty work
Get well soon
have wr250x ordered, still waiting to pick it up.
in the UK it comes in black, don't know why it only comes in blue in the USA

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the WR250X is 1/2" shorter in real seat height. if you are short, get the wr250x for the confidence in feet on the ground.

i love the black of the euro model!! I wanted that color badly. the team yamaha blue is growing on me though as well.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Preliminary measurements

Seat height as measured, the WR250X is .75" TALLER!!!!!!!!! I was way suprised! This is not what I thought. New suspension vrs 3 year old suspension? Seat foam compression? I don't know..... Subjectilvey I feel like I fit better on the WRX.... But the tape measure says it should be otherwise.

The lowest point on the seat to the bar is identical.

From the bar to the foot peg is 2" further on the WRX. But I have aftermarket YZ high bend protapers, drz had stock bars.

Footpeg to ground the WRX was 1/2" taller than than the DRZ. Again, I now have aftermarket YZ footpegs now on too.... stock it might still be the same. maybe 1/4" difference.

Handlebar to Ground is 3" higher on my WRX than on the drz. I chalk it up to the narrow high style of the WRX versus of lower longer style of the drz.

So that is the initial size comparison of real numbers, not the spec chart and not just what I "feel".

DRZ has a lower seat height as our two suspesnions were set up (him stock and mine 2 clicks firmere on every adjustment), WRX is a little roomier in the cockpit.

Here is a crap load of pics side by side and such. This week coming up will be weighing them on the same scale, same time and maintenance cost comparisons.

Next week will be the track ride comparison!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
My statement about the black 250X being available in Canada is false. I saw a pic of a black one from a Canadian bike show but according to Yamaha Canada's website, we only get the blue bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the info, I was already to ask you to recomend a Canadian dealer for the plastics, I e mailed a UK dealer, will have to wait to see what comes of it.

1 - 20 of 433 Posts