SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my bike last year and honestly it has less than 1500 miles on it, I just don't ride it very much as a sumo. I've done a few trackdays and farting around town on it. To be honest, it was fun at first, but then the novelty kind of wore off and now it feels slow as hell.

The good thing was this bike got me interested in dirt bikes. I also bought a kx250 2 stroke which I started riding trails on. I love playing in the dirt but the kx250 is too much bike for me to handle. I struggle with it, and on top of that the kick start is a bitch. I'm planning on selling that bike and getting something more beginner friendly, like a 125 smoker or 250 four stroke.

I thought about buying a set of dirt wheels for the wr and using that instead. My biggest concern is I have no idea how well this thing will handle the trails and occasional MX track in it's stock form. I'm just starting out so I don't catch huge air or anything like that, but for example today we rode trails with some pretty rough whoops, and I was kind of hesitant whether the motard suspension would have been able to handle it.

I guess my question is would the wr250x with some dirt wheels/knobbies make a decent trail/play bike? Or is it more of a dual sport fire road type of bike? I would really like to use it because of the E start. But in the end it is quite an expensive route to go since I have $5k into the bike and another $1k for wheels/tires. For that kind of money I could get myself a decent used dirt bike like a ktm 250exc F that is leaps and bounds better suspension wise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
WR250X as Trail Bike

I'm also curious of the capabilities but having a hard time justifying the dirt wheel set. There are clearly much more capable trail bikes with e-buttons that are or can readily be made street legal, but none seem quite as streetable as the WRX given the refinements. I've got a CRFX as a street legal trail bike that I don't plan on getting rid of even though I would like to find out how versatile the WRX would be with both wheel sets. If you want to give up the super moto for trail, there appears to be folks that would trade out set ups with you.

Thx,

John

·
Registered
456 Posts
I would never take the WRX (even with Dirt Wheels) on a true MX track....I can not see how that would be any fun...too slow, bulky, and IMO the wrong suspension! Fire roads, double tracks, easy trails sure.....tear it up!!!

I would not waste the money on dirt wheels and tires for the WRX...get a bike that will fit the dirt needs/wants you have!!!

Just my opinion!:D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Definitly understand the craving for power. You may want to master WR250 & learn to ride that bike at it's limits before you start itching for more Go.. It's nimble & forgiving compared to a big supersport.. Not to mention cheaper to fix!

I think the WR250X might actually make a damn good trail bike as is. Throw some different rims on there w/ knobbies so you dont scuff your SM rims. Soften the suspension & it might actually be better considering the longer travel..

As for the KX250 & E-start features- I live by the old Harley rules, when they were all 800cc kick start bikes.

If you cant start it, you cant ride it...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitly understand the craving for power. You may want to master WR250 & learn to ride that bike at it's limits before you start itching for more Go.. It's nimble & forgiving compared to a big supersport.. Not to mention cheaper to fix!

I think the WR250X might actually make a damn good trail bike as is. Throw some different rims on there w/ knobbies so you dont scuff your SM rims. Soften the suspension & it might actually be better considering the longer travel..

As for the KX250 & E-start features- I live by the old Harley rules, when they were all 800cc kick start bikes.

If you cant start it, you cant ride it...
Big supersport? Where did that come from..:hmmm:

It's really not so much the power I can't handle. I'm good with throttle control and my other bike is a R1. The problem with my KX250 is the height, I'm a short guy and although I'm pretty strong, I can't get my leg high enough for any good leverage to kick. I end up tippy toeing on one boot and holding the bike leaned over trying to fit the kick starter under my foot with my knee around my armpit.

That bike itself just wears me out with a ton of issues. It's got terrible clutch drag so when I fall and have to pick it up/push it to a good slope to stand on for kickstarting, it doesn't want to go. It handles like a pig and I fall a LOT, every single time I have to kick it for 20-30 kicks before it wants to go again. I'm sick and tired of riding with my friends, because I do a fine job of keeping up until I accidentally stall or fall, then I'm standing by the side for the trail for 10 minutes kicking again.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm no dirt riding pro but I have dirt knobbies on my wrx and have taken it to both trail and MX course. I can honestly say it is a heavy and under powered bike. I think for forest trails and casual off roading the bike is fine. On the MX course it really sucks. The suspension hits hard and the bike is just heavy. I stripped it down and it is still heavy. The battery itself hurts the weight. My friend who rides a yz450 said it is way heavier than his bike.

I did not enjoy riding it on the MX course...
Anyhow my conclusion is that if you want to get into MX don't use this bike.
If just for trail then it will be alright, but still not the best choice.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Sell your KX and your wrx, and get a nice dirtbike that you want and will fit your needs. Sounds like your more into MX ridding than street ridding with the wr250x. If I had a plce to ride a dirtbike Id keep my wr250x, and go buy a real nice used dirtbike with a starter...prob a 4stroke

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sell your KX and your wrx, and get a nice dirtbike that you want and will fit your needs. Sounds like your more into MX ridding than street ridding with the wr250x. If I had a plce to ride a dirtbike Id keep my wr250x, and go buy a real nice used dirtbike with a starter...prob a 4stroke
I don't ride MX much, mostly just trail riding. The thing is the whoops at our local trails are just as big as the mx track ones and after a day of trail riding I have no desire to ride my bike another 2 hours back home. Either way the bike is going into the trailer and I'm cracking a beer at the end of the day if you catch my drift.

·
Registered
490 Posts
wr250x is the perfect bike. i do it all, motox/trails/street and kart tracks. i ran pilot powers (yep, even in the trails too...) up till recently, but i switched to shinko 705. bike is much more capable offroad now, but mud still kills it. i did give up some street grip, but it is cold here now, so i dont plan on scraping pegs till the springtime.

my only bitch is i scratched the piss outta the frame since i started really going offroad. wah. i will order some frame guards sooner or later. :thumbup: also, the bike is a bit undersprung for big jumps, especially for my fat ass. i am not quite sure i will ramp up the spring rates, because i need to research how that will affect my on road manners.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think the bike is fine for trail riding. I run X wheels for commuting and trackday and then run offroad tires on the R wheels for trail riding. I had never been in the dirt before I had this bike and still have not ridden any other offroad bike but I have learned alot on it in the last 2 years. I hope to be able to afford to have two bikes at some point in the next year or two at which time I plan on getting an offroad only bike for trail riding for the lighter weight and so I don't have to swap wheels, but this one does me just fine for now. I figure if I can learn on this one I'll be that much better off when I switch to a lighter bike with better suspension. but if I was only using it for trail riding I would just get an offroad only bike then.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
You can do ANYTHING you want with this or any bike you own, its all in the right wrist.As i have posted before mine has gone street,trail,tt,short track,ice racing. I have 2.5 sets of wheels.

·
Registered
307 Posts
does anyone own a wr250F and can compare it to the wr250r/x?
WR-250F vs. WR-250R off-road?

I've owned my 2009 WR-250F for just over a year and have put on about 1,200 off-road miles so far.
I just sold my 2008 WR-250R in September after riding it for 14 months and about 7,500 miles, the first 4 months of ownership being ridden on both street and trail usage.

(I just bought a 2008 WR-250X, by the way. :)
Can't wait for March to get here!)

The WR-250F is about twice as capable-feeling off-road compared to the WR-250R.
To me, this was mainly down to the quality of the suspension.
The WR-250F suspension is very good overall, with the rear being especially good - downright excellent feel and performance from that.
Straight line stability over gnarly terrain is top-shelf.
Just get your weight back, open the gas, and let 'er rip.
Amazing, even after a full year of riding it practically every Sunday.
If you've got the nerve, you will be amazed at what the bike will track through or climb as long as you don't wimp-out and you do your part (like keep the throttle open and correctly position your body).

The WR-250R, by comparison, feels exactly like it was built down to a price, has inadequate damping quality, and if you try riding it at the same pace as the WR-250F over even moderately rough ground, you're asking for some close calls, at least, and only feels good at a fairly reduced pace.
This is even with full-on motocross knobbies fitted to the WR-250R.
This doesn't even factor in the 40-pound weight advantage and additional power and better off-road gear spacing the WR-250F has.

So, to be very honest, there is not much of a comparison in how they feel on the trails.
Also, to be honest, some WR-250R guys and gals have had a suspension shop revalve their boingers so they can work a lot better off-road.
This is where the WR-250R is sorely lacking, and is no doubt money well spent.
With a good off-road suspension (compared to how an off-road suspension can work when it's actually valved and sprung for it and the rider's weight and preference), the WR-250R would be mucho better on the trails.
If you like your WR-250R now, your mind would probably be blown with better suspension.

On the flip side, the WR-250R is muuuuuuuuuch better at hauling the mail on the street, which is where I rode mine after buying the WR-250F.
The WR-250F has very short gearing for real street use (I got mine registered to legaly ride in my local state forest).

·
Registered
507 Posts
Here's my take on this- Generally this bike is underpowered compared to most out there. I also don't think it was designed to be the fastest and lightest, you have to keep that in mind. It's great for what it is. I have a set of dirt tires from wheeling cycle supply as well as the street tires. I absolutely love riding this bike in dirt even if it doesn't feel like it belongs there and i also love riding with the street tires on the track or to and from work (as long as i don't have o ride the freeway... boring!). But, if i ride one of my friends bikes after riding mine, i am instantly reminded of my lack of power and suspension, as well as how heavy the wrx is.
With that being said, nothing beats the reliability and mpg that this bike offers. Fire roads and mountain trails are a blast!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts