SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys!

I've been tearing up the local streets of Ventura County w/ a friend's DRZ400SM. It's a wickidly fun bike in city traffic. Eats a big one on the highway, though. Then again, I'm comparing it to an '06 GSXR600 I owned in a past life.

After a few weeks of riding the DRZ, and riding a friends w/ a 450 big bore + mods (even more fun!), I've come to the conclusion that I do not want another carburated moto. If the DRZ was FI, that would seal the deal for me, but I hate babying the damn thing in the cold, and I just want it to manage itself like a new bike should.

Aside from FI & a nice light aluminum frame, the 6th gear & weight advantage is making me drool. I'm looking into performance parts and Yamaha is selling Athena big bore kits for the WR250R/X models. Has anybody bolted one of these bad boys on, yet?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
FWIW, I owned a DRZ400SM and rode it year round and never had to mess with the carbs in the witner. Once I had the jetting figured out for the pipe and carb it was good to go.

·
Registered
523 Posts
yeah, have you an fcr carb installed??

the stock mikuni is a crap carb, replace it with an fcr thatll sort out your cold weather worries and itll be much snappier!!

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'm with you .. DR-Z is a great bike (had one years ago, and riden plenty of them) but a little out dated...

I have a WR-X with 29.35hp at the back wheel the motor is stock... The bike handles great (with some simple revalving F+R) It is light, easy to work on, looks great, wicked brakes, but damn is it slow!

No torque ... even compared to the DR-Z... you need to keep this thing on the boil... but as far as fun factors go I give it an +A

I have thought about the big bore kit - but not 100% impressed with it. After looking at my dyno graph - I would do Cylinder head work first, and Graves is developing cams to make this thing sing on top... (It starts running out of steam @ 9k - but revs to 11.5K could be a soft limiter, but does not feel like it)

If you like having fun riding (who doesnt?) I think you would like this bike. Just don't get a 250 and expect it to perform like a 450.

(remember - the first valve adjustment is 26 000 miles... This motor is built to last)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, have you an fcr carb installed??

the stock mikuni is a crap carb, replace it with an fcr thatll sort out your cold weather worries and itll be much snappier!!
The 450 bore'd DRZ had an FCR + the other essential goodies. It felt like a motocross 450 four-stroke, but even those have FI. Definitly a [email protected]$$ on the city streets. Owner reported horrible gas milage though..

I've been in an internal (& emotional) debate between the DRZ-SM & 250x.. Both have bulletproof drive-trains, good reviews, & a steady amount of performance parts.

For what it would cost for a DRZ + FCR Carb + Full Exhaust + Exhaust Cam isn't cheaper than a 250x w/ the Athena 290cc kit, SO Exhaust, & PCIII. For another $2200, MPFAB will sell me a turbo kit for the 250x pushing it from 27hp/20ft-lbs to somewhere in the range of 56hp/52ft-lbs.. Reliability is out the window, I assume..

As an FYI- I read a review from ThumperTalk.com (couldnt find linke that a guy had posted regarding a 290cc kit he had bolted on. He said it's like riding a new different bike. Made mid-range hit harder & last longer.. Comparable to my sex drive :bannana:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Personally I like carburetors. For me they're easy to tune, and require only a few simple tools to swap brass or make any changes you could ever want. With FI, you either need a computer with all the expensive programs and things, or a good mechanic.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Personally I like carburetors. For me they're easy to tune, and require only a few simple tools to swap brass or make any changes you could ever want. With FI, you either need a computer with all the expensive programs and things, or a good mechanic.

I love carbs when fuel injection acts up
I love fuel injection when carbs act up

I'm actually perfectly happy with my jetting on my CRF right now. Fuel injection is nice, but there are so many factors in the equation when shit goes bad.

A properly set up FI should get better mileage though - and that would be nice :) Although my TLR only gets like 30mpg - she's a thirsty pig.

:bannana:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Some of the best bikes I've owned we're carb'd. I think for one, I'm young (23), arrogrant, and I work in the IT field, so electronic engine management & gizmos makes me drool. Carb'd bikes could be considered much easier to troubleshoot, as opposed to faulty sensors on a FI bike that can be a nightmare. Aside from that feature, if appreciate the ability to get up & go, & hassle free maintenance, FI is my sword.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
53 Posts
I found this nice series of installation tuts, when I was considering it for my winter project.... Although it's for a carbed wr250F
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYsKEWO3daM

I could definitely use "more pull" to haul my fat ass(6' @ 200)....
Although, now I'm considering to just focus on lightening the bike and myself...LOL..

I only have 300 miles on mine, so I haven't quite flogged on her yet to see what she's really about...

·
Registered
523 Posts
FI = a whole new world of tuning a motorcycle... and what I love most is how you can make a Motorcycle handle better (in many cases) with Fuel Injection..

Carbs = ......
a well set up carb will definetly perform as good as FI, if not better....
many FI bikes are very badly fuelled making them very bad to ride round the city e.g. the xt660 models were crap for a long time....

·
Registered
446 Posts
I spent a good month mapping my WR250x to eliminate flat spots with the K&N filter and Yoshi pipe.
Tough when mornings are cold with thick dense air then close to 90 degrees by 5 PM.

Yes it's a frustrating process but it pulls really smoothly all the way to redline once you get it right. After mapping I didn't need 6th on the highway,70 in 5th was effortless.

Mapping was not any worse that pulling the carb out my DRZ a half dozen times to get it jetted properly.

No choke, hotstart, compression relase lever, kickback, petcock or long warm up period is a nice bonus of FI. KTM SMR owners know what I'm talking about.

1 hour on a dyno and I'm sure it would have been done the right the first time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes it's a frustrating process but it pulls really smoothly all the way to redline once you get it right. After mapping I didn't need 6th on the highway,70 in 5th was effortless.
Hi Dana- Just curious, about how much do you weigh? I'm 6ft @ 230lbs, so i've been worried about how the lil' 250 might pull me.. Main reason I was considering the big bore kit..

·
Registered
9,329 Posts

^^This. I'll take my outdated carb'd bike anyday. Something else that no one mentioned is that if you throw a pipe on the WRX, you'll need a $400 programmer to get the most out of it. For me, it's $10 in jets. Also, for very little money, a DRZ will put down 41-43 HP and have WAY more torque. But, my buddy's DR 650 makes the DRZ feel gutless as far as TQ goes. It's apples n oranges really.

·
Registered
565 Posts
As a former factory mechanic for many teams... I have worked on my share of Carbs... When you are taking a rack of carbs of a bike in 100 degree heat with race fuel leaking all over the place, and burning in your eyes in order to get your riders bike tuned becuase there has been a shift in climate .... you will learn to dislike Carbs...

Carbs had there place in time, FI has been in M/C mainstream for well over ten years....

There is nothing like a bike being tuned in 30 seconds with out having to even remove a part... just plug and play...the best part is tuning a bikes handling with the capiablitles of some FI systems... if you guys ever get the change to check this out - your mines will be opened up!

FI these days is so well sorted - (with the help of the after market!) it doesnt take much to sort them out - most cases, you jsut plug in a map that has already been developed for that bike/pipe/filter option.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Allot of DRZ owners in here.... allot of Carb vs FI discussion...
I'm liking the idea of the OT, as I'm a bigger fella.... I like the "more pull"....

From what I've seen..rode...read.... is that the DRZ400 and Wr250 are closely comparable bikes.... I personally chose the Yammy for the FI.... as well as it's just a newer bike/technology...

When is the last time that you chose a carb'd auto over a FI'd car? Pretty sure they don't mass produce them anymore... probably for more than one reason...

Especially being that the 250 makes very close power considering the displacement disadvantages?

IF Suzuki or Yamaha would offer a maintenance friendly 400'ish CC FI'd motor.... Would you personally pick the carb'd motor over the FI motor, if not just for an additional 1k?

Sorry...kinda talking out my butt(couple of adult beverages).... But I'm liking the sound of this kit.... Sounds like it may be fun, without the 450 maintenance intervals.... Pretty kewl that Yamaha has Athena's approval vs the TT kit... Not to trash the TT kit.... It obviously says something when the manufacturers show support...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts