SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the new 250 to Deal's Gap this past weekend to see how it would do, and overall I was very pleased. I'm still a good bit faster on my 600, mostly due to the lack of acceleration exiting the turns, but the little guy is possibly more fun to ride. I think with a little tweaking of the engine to get a few more hp, and a stiffer suspension, this thing could be a perfect Gap toy. It changes directions quickly and the brakes are great, two things that are vital for that type of road.

I've only had the bike a few weeks now, so I'm still getting used to this whole motard thing, but I feel like I'm already pretty comfortable on the bike. I've given up on the whole hang off the bike and drag knee style that I use on my other bikes. It just seems to upset the suspension and wastes time. On this bike, it's seems easier and faster to just allow the bike to move underneath me while I stay pretty stationary.

The first day I was doing the whole foot out thing, which was pretty cool. But by the second day there, my legs were exhausted from the thousand or so kicks from the previous day, so I started leaving my feet on the pegs and just used my boot as a feeler gauge to judge my lean angle. I got to where I would purposely drag my toe slider on every turn, in the same way I would drag my knee puck. Not too sure if it's the "right" way to do it, but it seems to work pretty good.

So here is a little video I shot of me chasing a random guy I met up there on a gixxer 750. As you can see, he dominates me on acceleration, but I was always able to catch up under braking, so it made for some decent close up footage despite the different riding styles. Enjoy!

http://media.putfile.com/250-vs-750-at-Deals-Gap

·
Registered
283 Posts
Nice, it's good to see someone using the bike. I love mine, wish there were more roads like that over here. I use mine to commute.

Jose

·
Registered
239 Posts
Sweet. I should have footage soon!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Very nice riding, you guys must have been cooking.:thumbup:

The Gap is a great leveler, so tight that a powerful engine can almost be a disadvantage in terms of weight and highside risk. I'd like to see the same video between you two on the Cherohola though :laughingr

Like my sig. says... it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Nice work, and cool video.

I have taken my WR450 to the gap several times now, and could easily smoke all of my buddies who were on sportbikes. It is amazing how you can carry corner speed, late brake, and exit all the corners in a 3rd gear power wheelie.

I was feeling proud, until one afternoon at the overlook, a local on an R6 asked if he could follow me, and I could not shake him. We ran the whole distance to the store, and we were pretty even. He could gain in the straights, but I could make more distance in the corners.

Here are some pics taken this past spring, I also had my Busa with me:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have taken my WR450 to the gap several times now, and could easily smoke all of my buddies who were on sportbikes.
Dang... a sumo 17" is one thing, but a 21" dual sport tire... :clap:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Having ridden my mostly stock WR250X on the Miller Motorsports supermoto track, and also done an ART class (Advanced Rider Training) a year ago on a buddies CBR600RR on the same track I can assure you the little WR will hang with more powerful bikes assuming the road is twisty enough... :bike:

Great riding BTW... :thumbup:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. Yeah, the bike is stock, except for a few cosmetic things. I think my next mod will be to change the gearing a bit. Maybe go up a few teeth in the rear. I felt like I was stuck between 2nd and 3rd gear for a lot of the corners there.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I was feeling proud, until one afternoon at the overlook, a local on an R6 asked if he could follow me, and I could not shake him. We ran the whole distance to the store, and we were pretty even. He could gain in the straights, but I could make more distance in the corners.

was this the guy on the r6?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

was this the guy on the r6?

I've never seen you ride, and don't mean any disrespect, but I seriously doubt you could hang with this guy. His name is Tyler, he is currently racing in WERA, and is widely regarded as THE fastest guy currently at Deal's Gap.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The guy on the R6 in the pic riding that damn hard on the street. I mean to each his own, but being a road racer myself why would you go out and do that when you have track time every weekend. I found no urge to even ride on the street after having so much track time under my belt.

I've done my fair share of, as you guys call it; hooliganism, but he's dragging an elbow for christ sake. Here in the western wisconsin we have many "mini deals gap" roads that are ridiculous and dragging a knee becomes second nature, but damn an elbow?

Being a safety nazi isn't the reason for his post; more like a "holy f'n $hit he's draggin an elbow on the street" nazi. My opinion is to keep that kind of fun on the track. Too much to go wrong at the point he is at imo. I like run off...........

my 2 cents

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The guy on the R6 in the pic riding that damn hard on the street. I mean to each his own, but being a road racer myself why would you go out and do that when you have track time every weekend. I found no urge to even ride on the street after having so much track time under my belt.

I've done my fair share of, as you guys call it; hooliganism, but he's dragging an elbow for christ sake. Here in the western wisconsin we have many "mini deals gap" roads that are ridiculous and dragging a knee becomes second nature, but damn an elbow?

Being a safety nazi isn't the reason for his post; more like a "holy f'n $hit he's draggin an elbow on the street" nazi. My opinion is to keep that kind of fun on the track. Too much to go wrong at the point he is at imo. I like run off...........

my 2 cents
Point taken, and I agree. Since the picture was taken last year, he has recieved a lot of flac about it and says he no longer rides like that up there. I've still seen him up there hauling serious ass by most people's standards, but he saves the balls to the wall stuff for the track.

But if I'm riding the gap, I'd still rather have him coming the other way dragging elbow than some guy on a harley dragging his floorboard at 1/3 the speed. This guy knows what his is doing, and knows that road like the back of his hand.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts